GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had one of the biggest buffoons on planet earth riding my rump on the way in to work.
Now, I'm going for a slip road, its 07:45 and there's traffic in front of me queuing to get off.
There is a skip lorry behind me right up my chuff. In front there are brake lights illuminating in sequence down the line.
I brake, lorry gets ever larger in my rear screen. I think, "He's getting uncomfortably close". Then all I see is front of lorry dipping down, I have to move over [to the right] as he's going to hit the back of the car. I'm wondering how good Seats are when rear ended ...
"Fortunately" the twat uses the hard shoulder to avoid me and carries on his merry way. Hopefully he stayed awake enough to get there without causing any more problems.
Why, oh why, are people always in such a hurry in the rush hour :confused:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Bajie said:
Had one of the biggest buffoons on planet earth riding my rump on the way in to work.
Now, I'm going for a slip road, its 07:45 and there's traffic in front of me queuing to get off.
There is a skip lorry behind me right up my chuff. In front there are brake lights illuminating in sequence down the line.
I brake, lorry gets ever larger in my rear screen. I think, "He's getting uncomfortably close". Then all I see is front of lorry dipping down, I have to move over [to the right] as he's going to hit the back of the car. I'm wondering how good Seats are when rear ended ...
"Fortunately" the twat uses the hard shoulder to avoid me and carries on his merry way. Hopefully he stayed awake enough to get there without causing any more problems.
Why, oh why, are people always in such a hurry in the rush hour :confused:
I used to play games with suicide truckers, see how much i can p1ss them off before i can drop it down a gear and leave them after they've harrassed me for no reason other than they are 10times the size - I hate the way they think everyone should be scared of them.

I've grown up now :) and do not partake in such fun

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Seems like an odd thing to do. If for whatever reason they did hit you, you can guarantee that you're gonna come off a lot worse.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Had a similar scare a few months back, I stopped in the road to turn right, while waiting for a gap in the traffic looked in my rear-view mirror only to see a dump truck doing 40+ locking up his wheels, after a very quick "Oh F*@K" I drove on to the curb, the car coming the other way swerved into the junction I was going to turn into and the truck just about fitted between us and carried on, I looked at the other guy, he looked at me, there was a brief moment of "were a live, thank the maker were a live" followed by a faint smell of fear in the air. Its strange really, the truck would have killed me had he hit me but my life didn't flash before my eyes......just old episodes of the Simpson's :D

·
Registered
415 Posts
People sitting right on your bumper drives me mad, i had a fella in a great big merc van following me into london on the A40 the other day, I was in my clio not the GTR so he's three times the size of me and would total my car if he hit me. The sensible thing to do is stick your hazards on to point out their too close but this fella just ignored me, so i waited until i had a stretch clear of other cars and slammed my brakes on hard dropped a gear and floored it to avoid him hitting me. He locked the back wheels and slid about a bit but didn't hit me. I was expecting him to try and get along side and give me some abuse and wave some fingers but he seemed to learn his lesson as he stayed behind me and kept right back.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The roads are a nightmare . most people dont have a clue how to drive .
Like yous are all saying people sit right up your **** when there is about 20 cars in front of you and no way of anyone getting passed.
What i do sometimes and only when someone pi$$es me right off,,I pull over let them passed then just sit right on there ass and see how they like it and they usually dont like a taste of there own medicine.

But that does'nt work with lorres .

There is this woolworths lorry i see on my way home sometimes and he seams to pull out infront of anyone that is going fast and about to pass him he is totally nuts. he pulled out infront of me in my works van i was doing around 85mph and he was doing around 60mph and he just pulled right out
then he started with the hand signals before i even got a chance to give him any abuse .The next time i seen him he done it to the car infront of me then started the hand signals again.
So the next time i see him and if he does the same again i promised myself i would follow him to his drop of point and let him know what i think of him.
He may be big in his lorry but i am 6ft5" and 17st so he wont be the big man when i do see him next time

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Usually I just slow down to a speed appropriate to the gap the person behind has allowed, So if they are 10 feet away I slow to 25mph, This works best if they cant get past, but everytime I have done it they have backed off after a min or so. Tho it is kinda fun to slowly speed up just as they think about passing ;)

Mark.

P.S. Learned this from my old VW camper days, for some reason everone in the world likes to tailgate them.

·
Registered
889 Posts
now reading this article on tailgaiting lorrys, i am a lorry driver, with a fast truck, the only time i get close to someone is when they dont move over from the middle lane in the motorway, then undertake them, and they still sit there why.
as for the tailgaitors just back off the accelerator and controll them with your car, after ten minutes they get the message. tailgating is a form of intimidation, and so nice policeman now got new cameras to catch people doing this.
also on the same note, why do cars come round roundabouts like they are on a race track, then go mad as a lorry pulls out and has to change 16 gears to reach top speed. plus cant go round bends as quick or will flip over, or crush little car at side. seen done
just my 2pence worth, now have a good rant,:D :confused: :smokin: :cool:

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Backing off the accelerator is the best if done slowly and safely as it fcuks truckers off as they have to go through the whole gear changing thing.

Tailgating is definitely a psychology thing as I can easily stop someone doing it just but accelerating hard and leaving them in the wake. Slow down again but now for some reason they don't tailgate you anymore :smokin: .

There have been numerous reports about it e.g. http://www.soc.hawaii.edu/leonj/459ss97/kteruya/Report1.html#3
http://www.drdriving.org/articles/principles.htm

From what I can see using the GT-R's power to make the tailgater feel the "loser effect" is enough to stop it. You have proven you are driving at that speed only because you want to. I had an old arsehole in a BMW 545 sit tailgating me for near 10 miles once, just dropped the shoe when it was safe and left him, slowed down to 70 again and for some reason he was no longer in a hurry - human psychology is strange.

·
Registered
564 Posts
TURBONUT said:
So the next time i see him and if he does the same again i promised myself i would follow him to his drop of point and let him know what i think of him.
He may be big in his lorry but i am 6ft5" and 17st so he wont be the big man when i do see him next time
Go on, give him some big bubba jailtime fun :eek:

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Purpleskyline, I know what you mean about the lorries on roundabouts, I like to get on them quickly but im allways ready on the brake if theres a lorry there, I stop and let them go NP, I imagine its a pain to drive in the towns with them, The worst tailgaters I found are big BMW repmobiles and other such crap on the motorway, im normally going to fast for the lorries to catch up. But in the towns its allmost allways a 4x4, more often than not a range rover (as happened tonight untill he allmost rammed me).

Mark.

·
Registered
889 Posts
true there are people who realise they are slow to get going, round towns a nightmare, when you move right to go round a tight left hander, why o why do cars try to commit suicide comeing up the nearside of you, even when indicating left. cyclist the worst.:confused:

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
You have to consider that some bored ones sit on your tail especially if you're in something nice that makes them jealous. Hoping you will accelerate hard and do something really stupid so they can laugh their heads off. The violent acceleration response could end up playing into their hands. I agree on a mixture of slowing down and speeding up.

Or holding a pre-prepared box out of the driver's window and making as if to scatter something on the road. The box says NAILS or some such in extra large letters on it. :D

·
Registered
564 Posts
skyliner56 said:
wanda.. if you wanna drive around with a turd in your car be my guest but il pass thanks.
you can't drive, so its not an option anyway ;)

i've got a stainless steel box on the side of the car that drops the bombs on tailgaters :D at the push of a button.....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts