GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive got this mildly modded 32GTR and looking to make it different .

The trouble is of course once you start there just is no stopping .
My stagea for example seems to get more bits every month .

So the decision has been made - its going back to original factory spec .

This is for two reasons

1 Once Ive done it I will have to stop buying things for it - this will save me a fortune :chuckle:

2 I cant afford to go forged engine etc and the Stagea is already there anyway.

Also its in the rearest colour Nissan did for the 32 GTR BLO - a special order pearlescent grey/lilac colour.
No one seems to have ever seen another one so keeping it stock should make it a very rare car ( though not neccessarily a very valuable one )

Its in pretty good condition so just needs a "few" std bits.

The starting point

mORE PICS TO FOLLOW

Next thing is the list which Im betting will be much longer than expected.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
This will be interesting, easy to get the bits too, just swap your aftermarket stuff for the standard stuff.

Colour looks nice but in the pic it looks a light grey.

Are you going to include any factory options like Nismo vents, spats etc??

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
I thought about doing the same but have gone to the dark side in my collecting of parts.

The other option is to just fit Nismo tuning parts only. Can restrict the costs by chasing secong hand parts on yahoo auctions.

or.....keep it looking totally standard and build high power stealth style - alloy pipes under the stock rubber hoses, yellow painted injectors, hybrid turbos on stock casings, Nismo MAFs with stock labels on etc etc.

Good luck with the project - love the colour!

·
Registered
51 Posts
cool

I like your thinking! In a sea of modified GTRs a standard one in good condition will become more alluring as time goes by.

I have ripped out some the bodgey mods in my car and returned it to factory and it looks heaps better.

I also have a stash of factory parts to put the whole car back one day if required.........only missing the exhaust which seems to be fodder for rubbish skips.

More pictures please!

Cheers

G

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to confirm the idea is to get it back to stock .
Now to me thats very simple to work out - its as IT came out of the factory.

That means no nismo bits just stock for better or worse Also definately no sleeper mods as I already have a pretty good sleeper in the stagea

The only thing it might keep for now are the brembo brakes its got on the front (as v spec) but I suspect if I ever get it finished those will go as well.

It will still be a hell of a drive compared to other cars of its time. Hopefully even more so as it will show just how good they really were (I did say hopefully )

Amother pic of the car in a different light - it is a strange colour

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like a great project! I know your going for complete OEM but are you going to at least address some of the weak points like the oil pump and oil pump drive? I'd hate to see a fully restored R32 broken down because of some OEM reliability issues. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Stock looking R32´s in good condition are really rare.....so this project sounds good,very good:thumbsup:

Nice color btw:D

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the positive comments.

Regarding an oil pump upgrade and other similar questions which may follow

This is an attempt to create an origonal stock car not a no expense spared nut and bolt rebuild with back to metal respray as the Stagea has first call on my wallett.

The car has pretty low mileage for a car nearly 20 years old and the car including the engine is sound at the moment.

It appears to me that virtually all problems occur once modding starts and this is far more of an issue with tuned RB26 engines . If the engine does go wrong and has to be taken out then of course thats a different matter.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some more pics of a few recent purchases ( thanks giles)

A set of near mint possibly the best Ive seen. Came from a 20,000m(ish) car still the same colour with virtually no fading

and...................

A set of BRAND NEW original R32 GTr shock absorbers still in the nissan boxes
well obviously not for this pic

Seems a shame to take off the teins but original is just that.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Brilliant project this, Gonna keep an eye on it

James

·
Registered
736 Posts
i bought my car 100% original and stock, including even the stock exhaust system. not a single thing had been modded/// and i switched mine up

basically the opposite of what your doing..lol

whats your motivation for this? other than the 2 reasons you gave above.. i mean not to offend but stock doesnt handle THAT well, it doesnt sound super mean, or have a TON of power.

how ever.. its quite head-ache free... which i thouroughly enjoyed.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Interesting project. Are you going to list the modded parts that are already on the car that you intend to swap for stock. You might find a whole host of people who want to do part exchanges with you and have decent quality stock parts. You might actually make a few quid too ;)

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
BNR32
6,662 Posts
About time someone did a stock car. :bowdown1:

I think they look realy cool and every time I see on it reminds me of when I first saw mine at Middlehurst waiting ofr me to buy it.

Oh, those were the days. :) :smokin:

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Well done on doing something different RS, a perfectly standard but clean car is just as nice as a tatefully modified one in my opinion

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Winter is here and its pretty crap weather most of the time so going out in the stagea for a drive scaring boxsters has lost its appeal.

Time to contnue the project.

Spent a couple of hours going over the car making a list of things to do. Its amazing how long the is list bearing in mind I thought the car was already stock .

anway bits needing changing/replacing are :

Wheels - Not really a problem as they come up from time to time and will probably be the last to be fitted.

Suspension units - Already sorted as in thread.

Radiator cap.

Strut brace - Anyone know what a standard one looks like ( I dont even know if they had one )

Remove the aftermarket electrical gismos that wrere fitte in Japan. ( Cd changer etc)

Replace the std airbox - Luckily this came with the car and still has the last japanese service stickers (nissan 100,000km)

Exhaust - This will be a pain as not a lot of stock exhausts about. At the moment its std up to the cat.

Brakes - I fitted the later brembos and discs from a 33 to the fropnt before I even took the car for its first MOT in the UK. Unfortunately the discs are shot so need some older 32GTR discs and calipers (poss take a set in p/ex but they will need to be good)

Gear lever gaiter.

Hopefully thats it !

If anyone has any of these lying around pm me as long as the price is sensible ,

First thing is ro refit the std airbox which is todays job and I will post some more pics when its on.
Seems sensible to change the wheels , strut brace , brakes and suspension units in one go so wont be selling any of the parts untill I have the replacements sorted ,

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Hi Brian,

You mentioned this project to me at the Surrey meet.

Car look v nice and a good project to have.

Wouldn't be surprised if your car gets featured in mags looking for standard GTR32's seeing as nearly all are modded.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
what have you done with the shocks & springs that were on it ? Need some lowering ones for my 32 when it comes in
The teins are still on the car and are in perfect working order.

They are really good fully adjustable dampers and were the suspension originally fitted to tweenierobs monster R32GTR .

I got them when he fitted some apexi n1s.

If you dont need them immeadiately this would suit me perfectly . I will check which type of teins they are and send you a pm.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts