GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll ask the experts....

If you want to take an R32GTR on the track, what changes do you have to make to the engine ?

By this I mean : I've heard you need to change the sump and the oil pump ? Something to do with oil draing from the....erm....crank bearingsI think it was.

Is this true ?

What parts do you need ? Rough idea of cost involved ?

Car already has Tein Suspension, uprated brakes etc along with all the engine mods....I'm not looking to cane it, just interested in a few casual trackdays next year to improve my driving.

Thanks guys, G.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
oil cooler
Baffled Sump pref

I did a track day on sun with a basically stock car (maybe running 330bhp). I had the oil filled above the max mark. I was aware of the starvation issues, but i couldnt see myslef have that much grip to get all the oil over to one side. It was fine. The only thing that took a pounding was the brakes and tyres!

My car is stripped bare too.

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Adam - Yeah I read your thread, fair play to ya :)

I'll probably use another set of wheels/tyres for track days....brakes are uprated M's factory disc and pads all round, am on the lookout for a big brake conversion though as I dont rate the above much.

I'd rather be safe then sorry....

Has anyone seen/tried the oil cooler kit that Driftworks are selling ? It was in J-Tuner a few edition ago....think it works out about 300 quid for the kit.

Baffled sump....is this something you can have done to your existing sump or is it a new sump ?

Sorry people...I'm an IT geek not a mechanic ;)

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine needs to come out for the sump mod ???

Sod that then.....no track days for me in that case !

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
standard r32 gtr oil pump collar to crankshaft is not as big as on R33 and R34. This often leads to accelerated wear and then oil pump fails.

Preferable to have bigger sump/oilpan.

With stock GTR or stage 1, don't think hyou will need oil restrictor but these are used on higher powered GTRs. Oil restrictors used because RB26 tends to flow too much oil to the head.

Very useful to have brake booster brace as this tends to move around a lot under hard braking.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have done several trackdays and I don't have a baffled or extended sump. I have invested in an Accusump and can report that it's been a great purchase. Around £300 I think.
I'm sure that if you were competing then you may need to do more, but for a few trackdays to polish your driving skills, your car will be fine in my opinion. I think you already have the rest covered. The oil coolers from Driftworks are very good by the way :)

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm certainly not thinking of competing or pushing the car to the limit....just fancy having a grin and a bit of a play on the track.

Engine spec is currently....

Standard lump with :
ARC Front Mount I/C & HKS Hardpiping Kit
Apexi Power FC
HKS Slide Cam Pulleys & Camshafts
Mines Exhaust & equal length front pipe pro (about to be replaced with either HKS or Blitz NUR)
Blitz Boost Controller
M's Factory Mesh Induction Kit
Standard Turbos @1 bar (about to be replaced with Steel internal R34GTR ones @1.2 bar and HKS enlarged elbows, Injectors, Fuel reg, Fuel pump, Metal gaskets etc etc)

HKS Twin plate clutch

Nismo Lower ball joints
Nismo Engine mounts
Tein Coilover Suspension
Front & Rear Kansi strut braces

Already mentioned brakes....tyres etc

Still need to fit my Skylabs Torque controller !!!

Ok cool, I'll have to look into the Driftworks Oil Cooler then....thanks :)

I've done a google search on the Accusump, is this basically to beef up your oil pressure to stop it sloshing around then ?

What about an Oil catch tank, will I need one of them too ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts