GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the chance of a job in the States (Oregon) and am seriously considering a move. However, I've just spent a significant on an engine upgrade for my R33 and don't want to have to sell it just yet. What are my options for taking my car with me? I know that Motorex officially import Skylines but can't afford the $17k cost of this. Does anyone have any advice for other (cheaper) methods of taking my car with me? I've been told it's much easier to register a car in New Mexico than any other state. Also importing to Mexico and just driving across the border at Tijuana is an option apparently. Anyone have any advice for me? Cheers.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Not sure on the new mexico thing, but i do know that u can take the car with u and not pay anthing towards silly emission regs if u only use the car for show purpose i believe. Then it doesn't require to meet certain regs, if u PM SkylineUSA sure he knows all the in's and out's as he's just come over from the US.

So if u wanna take the car and not use it as an everyday car then I think ur cool, otherwise look into that New Mexico thing as it may work out cheaper.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Who told you about New Mexico? I have never heard of that, but I have thought about it:) I take it that your car is a '95.

The thing about Mexico, is a lot of shady dealings go on there, meaning you might never see your car again, unless you know someone? I personally would not do that. Think of Mexico as the UAE of North America:D

What time frame are we talking before you leave?

·
Registered
865 Posts
SkylineUSA i'm mad in thinking that the US emissions law etc is a little less strict if the car was only used for show purpose etc or very limited miles per year?

Sure i read that on Automotive forums a while back? Oh yeah when do i get this spin in ya Mustang BTW;) :p lol

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
As far as i can recall if you want to import a skyline into the US one (Or maybe the only) places is Motorex and they cost a fortune... another member enquired about shipping and sorting his R34 and they wanted... $25,000 :eek:

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Its not really just the emissions. If I really knew all the answers I would be a RI. Speaking of which, MotoRex is the only RI in the states, so you have to go throw them if you want it legal. I know of ways to do it illegally, but that is not the way to go.

The Stang is in work right now. As soon as she is back up, you will be more than welcome for a little torque ride:)

96 and up 25k. 95 and older 16k to go through MotoRex.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car is indeed a 1995. The job would be starting in January, visa permitting. I was told that if you import a car as solely for track use (put lots of racing-style stickers on it) and then take it to New Mexico, their procedure of registration is far less stringent than in other states. But I really don't want to have to sell my car. I'd consider any other alternative than having to fork out $15k to get it imported by Motorex!! If anyone wants to e-mail me off list about this, my address is:

[email protected]

Thanks in advance.

Hamish

1 - 7 of 7 Posts