GTR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi chaps.

First off I should confess to not owning a Skyline, so all apologies there. I'm here because it was suggested to me that I look at the Skyline market for a pair of used turbochargers for my project car. It's a Turbo-Technics XR4x4 with the 260 bhp single-turbo 2.8 litre V6 engine. Compression has been reduced to around 8.5:1, the heads are ported for better top end flow and there are a few other differences with exhaust valves, warm-up systems etc. The engine is in my cellar at the moment awaiting balancing.

As I said it's a single-turbo conversion with a huge Garrett turbo connected to one cylinder head with a big U-bend under the engien to channel exhaust from the other bank. Not the best way to do it, so I thought I'd acquire two Skyline turbos and pop them on. the engine capacities are very close, the number of cylinder per turbo is the same, so they should run ok. the only difference is that the skyline engine has about 2000 RPM extra to play with.

Since a lot of you guys seem to be running uprated turbos, what happens to the old ones, and would anyone be willing to sell me a pair? Preferrably at the sort of money that does not force me to live on cardboard for too many months.

Cheers - Al.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
turbos

I happen to have a low mileage twin turbo turbo tecnics v6 2.8 all ported flowed and balanced with luminition engine management and 360 thrust bearing turbochargers waiting for a new home all as new
Gary
GT-ART.CO.UK:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
eek! is this in or out of the car? Trouble is, I haven't got room for another car and I don't want the job of having to sell a rolling shell. Sounds nice though. :D is it a reduced compression engine, and what sort of output do you reckon it's getting? And ... how much would you ask for it ?

God, this is dreadful ... I thought it would only need a new sump gasket when I got the thing ...
:p

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
ford

Its in a 4x4 dacia duster,
you can have it complete with the jeep and all the leda suspension,hp fuel pumps,etc for 2500 or just the full complete engine and all ancillarys plus management system for 1800
It has had the comp lowwered to 8.5:1, mahla pistons etc,etc
TT were geting close to 400 bhp with this set up, the turbos will go to 1.2 bar i only ever ran 0.7, if you want it i will sell it otherwise i will put in my transit so as i can carry More goods to the skyline meets:D SAVES THE NEED FOR A TRAILER GLEN
Gary
GT-ART.CO.UK
THE FUTURETIVE:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good! but £1800 is more than i really wanted to spend ... especially after the amount of time I've put into the rest of the engine. And i'm not sure if the transmission won't just chew itself to bits trying to flow 400 bhp. I think your plan for the Transit is entirely cool anyway, so keep us posted as to how it goes. (and more detail than "it goes fast!!") :D

Really I just want the turbochargers... the alternative would be to have the old one re-conditioned but it'll be costly, plus a twin turbo install would be better in engineering terms and, I suspect more driveable. The existing one is the size of a fat Yorkshire Terrier and has 'the-cheque's-in-the-post' style lag.

i'll check back soon, let me know if anything turns up, in the meantime good luck with the hooligan Transit!

Cheers - Al.

·
Registered
312 Posts
V6 with Turbo's

Al,

A very good pal of mine is running a Ford V6 bored out to 3 litres with two turbo's (T2), polished & ported head, wild cam, and 200 bhp of Nitrous and it goes rather well.
I could ask him for the spec if you want as he has rebuilt the engine himself...

BTW i should have mentioned the engine is in a 1968 MK 2 Cortina space framed shell!!
Cosworth 4x4 running gear and a Group N gearbox!!

Cheers

Stu

:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like at least 500 bhp's worth. eek! I'm thinking ... 500 bhp Cortina ... surely it's outlawed under some international weapons limitation treaty?

Chorus: "Bet it's fun in the wet!"

On reflection I think a nitro'd, turbocharged, bored-out and cammed up V6 may be a bit more fun than I can handle right now. Think I'll order some bigger cahonés before I start playing that game. Good luck to your friend, the world needs lunatics. ;)

Possibly the maddest application of NOS was on a mate's Suzuki TL1000 S ... with a strengthened, gasflowed engine that would push out 180 bhp anyway. It had been dyno'd at 240 bhp with full nitrous and at some godawful RPM, but even without the nitrous it would still lift the front wheel at 140 mph, in top gear. Last time I saw him he hadn't mustered enough rage to actually use the nitrous oxide, and his girlfriend really had the pig over this ... the work cost over 5K all up. Silly bugger. :D

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
BNR32
6,666 Posts
Stealthster,

I'm not sure you will get any change out of 1500 quid
for a pair of blowers in good condition. I'm looking for two aswell.

Then you have the hassle of plumbing them, and then getting it too run.

I think Garys offer for the complete engine is a GOOD deal.

And if you havn't got 1800 quid maybe you should just stick to the single.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the plumbing should be simple enough ... I'll need two new manifolds, these can be fabricated from iron steam pipe and plate, or modified from existing manifolds (I have a spare set). I'd have to brush up on my oxyacetylene welding but no great problem. Feeding both turbos into a common plenum would leave the problem of how to balance them - I suggest a microswitch linked to each wastegate actuator to drive two LEDs. This would make sure that they could both be adjusted to provide exactly as much boost as each other. Water and oil feeds are simple enough to make provided sufficient flowrates can be maintained.

Expense is only one consideration ... it would take a while to do, and I really want to get the thing running. Plus I've already rebuilt most of the rest of the engine. the chances are i should have gone and just sat down and listened to calming music instead of buying the thing in the first place.

I'll think about it for a bit ... :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Re: V6 with Turbo's

R32BigSly said:
Al,

A very good pal of mine is running a Ford V6 bored out to 3 litres with two turbo's (T2), polished & ported head, wild cam, and 200 bhp of Nitrous and it goes rather well.
I could ask him for the spec if you want as he has rebuilt the engine himself...

BTW i should have mentioned the engine is in a 1968 MK 2 Cortina space framed shell!!
Cosworth 4x4 running gear and a Group N gearbox!!

Cheers

Stu

:D
Stu, was that your pal on Car Crazy Katie on Men and Motors tonight? That cortina looked mad (the owner looked a bit mad as well!)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Dave he mentioned to me the other night to that he had appeared on men & Motors, he was given a 2 minute interview slot also...
The car itself has been built from a shell upwards by himself, and has big plans for 2002 with sponsorship from the states so watch this space!!!
I hope to run with him at either Avon Park or York next year myself but will confirm this nearer the time...

Best regards

Stu :) :)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
v6

Al
you dident read my post properly the kit i offered you is complete
turbos and cast manifolds etc the manifols alone were over 900
any way carry on your way i have decided to keep it for the tranny
i am sure i will get a skyline in the back somehow.
Scott what turbos do you need i can help as i am the turboknetics sub dealer in the uk roller bearings etc etc etc what spec any spec
he he he he:D
Gary
GT-ART.CO.UK
FAX 01273 494439(sorry joss:) )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gary - I read it properly, the reference to new manifolds was in relation to just getting a pair of turbos. Shame i can't really justify having two spare engines hanging around, but on the upside it'll be a hell of a Transit .... :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
T28's from R32

Hello Stealthster,

I have the twin turbo setup available from my R32 GTR. We are switching to a T51 for race use and have no use for the stock setup. They have 77K kilometers on them, but seem to run perfectly fine.

If you are interested, hit me with an email. I would part with them for $500 USD for both, plus shipping (should be like $100 US for that to you)

Kevin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts