GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently experiencing low boost issues! (4.25 CBA, running ecutek)
I'm not too sure how long it's been going on if i'm honest, as it's not exactly slow but adjusting boost via the cruise control switch between 0.6 bar & 1.3 bar makes no difference on the actual boost reading, or power output, according to the MFD display.
I've checked over the usual pipes/couplings etc, nothing obvious found.
Other similar threads I've come across, show intercoolers that have split end tanks, however I would be surprised if this is the case as there is no evidence of any rough running or idling issues to accompany the symptoms.
I'm thinking it maybe the boost control solenoid that has failed, looks like a pig to get to if it has, or a major boost leak.
WOT in 2nd or 3rd gear reveals a peak boost of up to 0.7 then tailing off to 0.6.
Unfortunately I've no way of logging anything yet, can anyone recommend any other tests I could carry out?

Thanks
Jon

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

forgot to add, I've tried a basic battery off reset, fearing it may have been stuck in valet mode (but speed is not limited) or something daft like that & also tried it on the other fuel maps 95 & 97, made no difference

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Hi Dave, thanks for that, is this something that can get corrupted due to battery disconnection then??

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Get it logged and see what boost target is and what boost is achieved, also check wg duty cycle and obviously any loose hoses, if all that checks out you need to find someone with a smoke machine tester to pressure it up and find the leak.

·
Vendor
1,825 Posts
Just do a boost leak check, not hard, the snap on stuff works well if you know a local garage with the kit, or just buy a cheap kit and do yourself at home.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
We have had a few in the body workshops with this issue that has been resolved but only after a reflash.
Not doubting but I dont see how thats possible, a part of a map ie the boost cannot fall out of an ecu when the battery is disconnected its just not possible. Plus the original map is erased as part of the remap procedure.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get it logged and see what boost target is and what boost is achieved, also check wg duty cycle and obviously any loose hoses, if all that checks out you need to find someone with a smoke machine tester to pressure it up and find the leak.
Thanks dude, tonight I have doubled checked all the hoses, look ok.
What I did do however, is removed the pressure source to the boost control solenoid & blanked off, therefore in theory eliminating the boost control circuit. Went for a gentle drive & result is the same 0.6/0.7 of a bar, no difference at all. So I guess the likely hood is there is a large leak somewhere.
I do have a nice shiny pair of MY2017 intercoolers to fit, so I may just plod on & fit those anyway.
I presume I need an ecutek dongle or a like to create a log?

It's well worth checking the intercooler, lots of oem end tanks split where they are crimped over. How old is the car?
Yeah thanks Barry will check them out, it's a 2008 JDM.

Just do a boost leak check, not hard, the snap on stuff works well if you know a local garage with the kit, or just buy a cheap kit and do yourself at home.
No probs I will have a look into the kits, cheers

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Thanks dude, tonight I have doubled checked all the hoses, look ok.
What I did do however, is removed the pressure source to the boost control solenoid & blanked off, therefore in theory eliminating the boost control circuit. Went for a gentle drive & result is the same 0.6/0.7 of a bar, no difference at all. So I guess the likely hood is there is a large leak somewhere.
I do have a nice shiny pair of MY2017 intercoolers to fit, so I may just plod on & fit those anyway.
I presume I need an ecutek dongle or a like to create a log?

Yeah thanks Barry will check them out, it's a 2008 JDM.

No probs I will have a look into the kits, cheers
Snap on is around !k if you can get a deal, get a bluetooth dongle for around £150 you can log and activate different stuff with it especially in V7 but you cant input maps, or depending where you are im sure someone will log it for you, Im near Gatwick if its any help, take a few mins and you should know what problem is.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I know you said you removed hose from solenoid but stupid question, you havent toggled the boost down to 0.7 bar have you ?:confused:

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know you said you removed hose from solenoid but stupid question, you havent toggled the boost down to 0.7 bar have you ?:confused:
No, left it set at 1.3 max. I'm in Gloucestershire, but thanks for the offer..
I will look out for an ecutek dongle, sure it will come in very useful:chuckle:

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Decided to take the plunge and replace the intercoolers, I had some put a side.
Upshot is still have the problem:(, original intercoolers were showing signs of starting to part on the end tanks, so it wasn't a waste.
Guess I now need to do a boost leak test, been over all the hoses I can see, nothing appears out of place..

·
Vendor
490 Posts
Make sure you do an ECU reset even if it shows no codes.
If you've (for instance) unplugged a pre throttle sensor or have a fault with the solenoid, they disable the boost system and run wastegate duty (0.6-0.8 bar ish).
May be well worth getting a datalog of the three map sensors and the wastegate duty output to make sure the ecu can see all the right info and is trying to achieve the correct boost.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Make sure you do an ECU reset even if it shows no codes.
If you've (for instance) unplugged a pre throttle sensor or have a fault with the solenoid, they disable the boost system and run wastegate duty (0.6-0.8 bar ish).
May be well worth getting a datalog of the three map sensors and the wastegate duty output to make sure the ecu can see all the right info and is trying to achieve the correct boost.
Thanks for the suggestions, will simply disconnecting the battery for 10 mins reset it or does it need to be reset with software.
I've got a boost leak tester to play with now, so hopefully that will determine any leaks. Following this I will try & find someone that can do a datalog..

Thanks
Jon

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

update: found a leak from the small hose on the N/S boost pipe to cam cover, repaired that. Borrowed an ECU reset tool, checked for codes nothing stored.
Reset the ECU anyway, still same result 0.6/0.7 bar max.
Very frustrating..

I guess I need to get a log done now to see whats going on, any one able to do this in Gloucestershire area?
Failing that it's booked in for a service on 21st..

Thanks
Jon

1 - 20 of 25 Posts