GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lads, made a big move to go from a 160bhp 850kg AE86 track car to a (est 380bhp at 0.85) r32 skyline gts-t RB24t (link below with spec)

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/124711-new-user-into-my-r32-rb24t.html

Now without sounding a complete and utter idiot, I just want to clear a few things up.. Mainly fueling, boosting, maintaining a safe engine. BeeR rev limiter.

So question no 1:

Fueling:

Car was mapped with Trial ROM on nissan ecu in japan, car has been driven a handful of times since over here a year from the previous owner and ran it on half a tin of pro boost (1/2 litre) to a full tank of fuel. What are my options? I don't really want to rely on getting tins of proboost all the time if it's not really neccessary if I can do something else.. (PowerFC, HKS FCON, other ECU options with map to run fine on 95ron). Want to keep the costs of this down enough..

Boosting? PSI?

Can anyone explain to me the technical stuff behind boosting, what it means when someone says "car runs 380bhp at only 0.85 bar boost?
Can it run more? Car has a HKS EVC3 boost controller.. What does this unit do, can I up the bar upto 1.1 bar boost and for example get 400bhp+? Will it be safe? What is PSI?

Maintaining a high powered car

What advice do people with experience have with maintaining such car?
Services, oil changing, filters, water, what to check on a regular basis, timing belts, how often things are done, turbo timers etc.

Lastly, the BeeR Rev limiter

..Heard quite a few horror storys regarding this little satan of an item. People stating it kills engines, melts pistons, the usual.. Are these safe to use as a launch item (track day 1/4 mile example), or will it ruin the engines internals slowly but surely?) Question is really, is it a keeper, or get it removed?

Just to add also, my main priority of this car is running it safe and strong, so I would imagine fueling could be a main issue and would want to get it mapped..?

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Fueling:

Car was mapped with Trial ROM on nissan ecu in japan, car has been driven a handful of times since over here a year from the previous owner and ran it on half a tin of pro boost (1/2 litre) to a full tank of fuel. What are my options? I don't really want to rely on getting tins of proboost all the time if it's not really neccessary if I can do something else.. (PowerFC, HKS FCON, other ECU options with map to run fine on 95ron). Want to keep the costs of this down enough..
It may be that your standard ECU can be re-mapped; I'd ask Rising Sun Performance or Abbey Motorsports etc. if this is possible. It may be okay on V Power even, but I'd at least get it checked to make sure.

Boosting? PSI?

Can anyone explain to me the technical stuff behind boosting, what it means when someone says "car runs 380bhp at only 0.85 bar boost?
Can it run more? Car has a HKS EVC3 boost controller.. What does this unit do, can I up the bar upto 1.1 bar boost and for example get 400bhp+? Will it be safe? What is PSI?
Boost controllers allow you to run higher boost than standard. This doesn't mean that your car will be okay on higher boost though, as fuelling may be off etc. and you can kill you engine. Get it checked out.

PSI (pounds per square inch) and bar are units of pressure. Turbo increases the pressure of the air going into your engine, so more fuel can be burnt so more power can be made.

Maintaining a high powered car

What advice do people with experience have with maintaining such car?
Services, oil changing, filters, water, what to check on a regular basis, timing belts, how often things are done, turbo timers etc.
Check everything like you would a normal car. Use decent oil, change oil and filter regularly (I do mine about every 3000 miles). Turbo timers are a waste of time imho; just drive the last mile or two off boost to let the turbo cool down if you've been thrashing it.

Lastly, the BeeR Rev limiter

..Heard quite a few horror storys regarding this little satan of an item. People stating it kills engines, melts pistons, the usual.. Are these safe to use as a launch item (track day 1/4 mile example), or will it ruin the engines internals slowly but surely?) Question is really, is it a keeper, or get it removed?..
No idea.

I've no idea where you're based, but it may be a good idea to go and talk all this through with a tuner who you trust. From the nature of the questions it sounds like it would be better getting someone else to work on your car. :D

(Edit - see you're in Ireland. I'm not, so I can't help with who to use)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Appriciate the reply.

I have a fair idea who to use to get it worked on, trackday performance over here.. Grand tuners, Probably familar with him on here as Robbie?
Can't get V-power or anything other than 95ron fuel over here unfortunately.

Wouldn't go near the engine myeself apart from changing oil/filers etc, bascially the stuff penguins and monkeys could manage :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Sounds like me then! Have a chat with them and see if they'll give the car a check to make sure it's fuelling properly etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts