GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Tegiwa 3mm Inlet Plenum Spacer to fit and have been told the screws should be 3mm longer. Does anyone know the OEM thread spec please? Also, I assume the OEM gasket is removed, so exactly 3mm of additional screw thread length will be required? Thanks

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I forgot to ask the original length of the screws and the type of head (hex, Philips, slot?) ? I am giving this a try for a small increase in inlet plenum volume to go with my Stage 4.25 plus water methanol injection. The spacer was about £65 and can easily be removed if no gain (or negative) on performance. They are a common mod in the US and Japan but I have seen no firm evidence of any performance gain?

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
There is no way a spacer can give power gains. The plenum is just a pressurised reservoir that feeds valved cylinders. The volume of air that is mixed with injected fuel is governed by the bore size and piston stroke.

Another gimmick with some pseudoscientific mumbo jumbo. Anyone remember fuel line magnets?!

·
Registered
191 Posts
they are also known as a phelonic spacer which is there to insulate the manifold from the cylinder head. during normal driving there is huge amounts of air flowing through the inlet manifold and the temperature of the manifold will be dictated by the temp of the air coming out of the intercooler. its only when the car is parked up or you are in slow stop start traffic that the air flow through the intake mani will be very low and heat will be conducted up from the heads . that's when these will do anything for you.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
There are no proper tests of these spacers from any manufacturer which immediately makes me think Bullshit.

The process of engineering anything is take a theory, test it quantitatively, then rinse and repeat as the item/device progresses through improving versions.

Any device that therefore has no data to support it through development immediately shows that this proper R&D hasn***8217;t been undertaken.

That shows they***8217;re created out of someone***8217;s thought that it might work not that it does work proven by rigorous testing.

There have been a small number of creative individuals that have tested these spacers and guess what?

Found no statistical difference.

Phenolic Spacer Test on the S4 Intake Manifold | MyAudiS4

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
There is no way a spacer can give power gains. The plenum is just a pressurised reservoir that feeds valved cylinders. The volume of air that is mixed with injected fuel is governed by the bore size and piston stroke.

Another gimmick with some pseudoscientific mumbo jumbo. Anyone remember fuel line magnets?!
Oh i have missed your vocabulary... Love it Andy

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Thanks for the info. I forgot to ask the original length of the screws and the type of head (hex, Philips, slot?) ? I am giving this a try for a small increase in inlet plenum volume to go with my Stage 4.25 plus water methanol injection. The spacer was about £65 and can easily be removed if no gain (or negative) on performance. They are a common mod in the US and Japan but I have seen no firm evidence of any performance gain?
A stock plenum and TB's will be good to 1500hp, I made 1101 whp on stock plenum and ASNU injectors. Save your money:smokin:

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Already have it and it is cheap to buy and fit ***x1f642; But does anyone know the length and head type of the oem bolts; I believe the thread is M6?

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
I***8217;d ask why you want new ones? I***8217;ve had 3 different intake manifolds on my car and the OEM bolts were reused every time.

If you***8217;re really wanting new ones maybe remove one and measure it?

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Maybe measure OEM and add 2-3mm?!

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Managed to remove one bolt: M6 hex head with 25mm thread; next size is 30mm and fits with a washer. The 350/370Z's apparently show gains with a plenum spacer. Even if no torque or HP on a GT-R35, it may help reduce heat transfer a bit. Anyway, was only £65.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts