GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at Gt-aRt Gary was having a good look at my car and quite like the seperator between the filters and the Engine. we thought we would see how much difference it does make and believe it or not the temp by the filters was about 42 and the temp by the engine was bout 30!!!

would of never guessed that but thought id let you know just incase people were looking at doing something similar as i thought it was a good idea!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes thats right, Gary didnt get it either!!

i assume that once heat gets in there it has no where to escape so just builds up where as with the engine it can escape.

·
Premium Member
5,782 Posts
I dont understand how that is possible, nor why those underbonnet temps are so low?

have you got it the wrong way round craig or was it genuinly warmer by the filters?

Also, what was the criteria for the test? bonnet down - was there a fan on it - was the car in motion etc etc?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the car had the bonnet up and was sitting on dyno with the fan not turned on yet about to go, gary noticed it while having a gandor round the engine and connecting it up to the dyno and thought what a great idea, he then got his temp reader out and it came up hotter by the filters than in the engine, we were going to test it when the bonnet was down but didnt get the time, im sure when in motion it will be different and a lot cooler but its just something i thought was quite interesting to mention

·
Registered
76 Posts
I must ask what method was used to measure the temperature?
If it is was with an Infra Red measuring product, then I would not be at all suprised. These measurement devices are only correct if you know what you are doing with it and emissivity is so crucial to the accuracy of the reading.
If it was with a different measurement device, then obviously something needs attention.
Graham

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes it was with onr of the infa red ones, im sure gary isnt a novice with these things!

When the car goes back we are going to check it with bonnet down to see if that makes a difference.

like i said once moving and there being air flowing into and around the filters im sure it will be a different story.

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Well ive never believed in these things in the slightest, same as loads of mods people do.

Best thing to do is have proper venting from the bonnet to get the air in and out quickly, ie not just vents, but vents in the right places.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have been involved in the measurement and electronic / mechanical simulation of temperatures for many years.
The errors that are made by users with the infra-red types are extremely common. Only surface temperatures are measured and the material being measured is the problem. To measure everything as acurately as possible, requires all items to look as near as possible to "Black Body" sources of re-emmision. ANY deviation from this will cause significant errors.
Try measuring a frozen burger straight from the freezer and then measuring the shiny rapper of a packet of frozen peas (from the same freezer) -- enormous differences if the infra red measuring device is working properly.
Another area that causes errors is the field of view. For infra red this is a very awkward area, as it cannot be seen. Good optics are required with the correct materials to provide sensible distance target ratios.

I guess that will do anyway, this is a car forum.
Graham

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,571 Posts
Luffy said:
yes thats right, Gary didnt get it either!!

i assume that once heat gets in there it has no where to escape so just builds up where as with the engine it can escape.

It is not a matter of the heat building up, the filter/engine will be replenishing the air in that area
at the rate of 300+ Litres a second at full throttle, so the hot air must be coming from somewhere???:confused: :confused:

Also, if you said you heasured this 12 degree difference with the bonnet up, how can a wall keep
the temperature in????:confused: :confused: :confused:

Somthing NOT right there. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts