GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got a spare temperature sensor handy with my name on it, if not a Nissan one will do. Its the one to the left of the windscreen air vent on a R33.

Itchy ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diagnostics on Climate control

My aircon fan has never worked even when hot, I checked the fan and thats ok so i did a sensor test on the climate controls diagnostics and it showed 25 sunlight sensor fault.

Do you have one ?

Itchy

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I don't have one, but I get the same reading. You tried shining a torch onto the sensor? When I do this, mine changes back to 20. Switch the torch off and its on 25 again.

I used to think my aircon unit needed regassing since it never felt like it was working (air that came out, even with A/C on, was just "fan" air). One day I pressed the recirculate button (2nd from right) while it was on and within about 3 seconds I was freezing my proverbial bits off.

Try doing the same and see what happens.

It is very confusing to be honest, I would've thought that the reverse would be true - ie. that when you've got "recirculate air" on, that the aircon wouldn't be on. In my case, the only time my aircon appears to work is when I switch recirculate on as well. Doesn't seem to make any difference whether "A/C" is on or not (ie. I can just put the fan on, no "A/C", switch recirculate on and it activates the aircon).

I'd be interested to know how you get on, and from other peoples first-hand experiences of this aircon unit. Either I'm going mad, or something is dodgy :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm Intresting

I tried exactly the same with the torch in the sensor and like you said, torch on 20, torch off 25.

My aircon works fine even with recirculate on or off, the aircon will switch on when you press either auto, recirculate or AC.

What my problem is the fan in front of the aircon rad will not come on even when the engine temp is bloody high after a hard run. I've checked the fan and the aircon fan relay and they work fine.

Does your rad fan work Durzel and is it on instantly when you turn the aircon on ?

Is it the climate controller the operates the fan or something else ?

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Ah, yours differs from mine then. My aircon only comes "on" (in the sense that airconditioned cool air comes out) when recirculate is on. I can have "AUTO", "A/C" or anything else on and it wont make a difference - the only thing that makes it happen is switching recirculate on or off. Recirculate on, cold airconditioned air comes out, recirculate off - normal fancooled air.

I'm pretty sure my fan at the front of the aircon rad comes on as soon as I switch aircon (or rather "recirculate") on. It's certainly come on after a bit of driving.

I will go out and check shortly.

Does anyone know who I should speak to about my aircon woes? I can replace the sunload sensor if, like Itchys, that is causing the anomolies. I am at a total loss to explain why my aircon controls are back to front though. Diagnostics all check out, with the exception of "25" for sunload sensor.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it looks like the fan is controlled from the climate controller.

The only thing i can think of trying is replacing the sun sensor so that the diagnostics shows clear and then see what happens. Unless anybody else has a solution.

Cheers Durzel.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Let me know how you get on, if it magically fixes your problems then I'll follow suit :)

Seems odd that the sensor would report all clear (20) when you shine a torch (simulated sun) onto it, but not in normal sunlight. I wonder how much "sun" it actually needs to detect? I'd be interested to know what that sensor reports at night - given there would be no sun at all. Mine has always reported 25, but it would seem silly for diagnostics not to take account of a simple thing like night and day.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you think about a domestic phototcell on a flood lamp will fail overtime and will be unable to judge night and day. Plus the one on our dash board has to put up with heat and direct sunlight.

Will let you know as soon as i source one.

I would be intresting if some else could try the diagnostic and see what shows up?

Hold off button on control 10 seconds after ignition on
Display will show all characters
Press red arrow ( temp up )

20 - all is normal
21 - outside air sensor
22 - Inside air sensor
23 - Water temperature sensor
24 - Intake temperature sensor
25 - Sunload sensor (small sensor on the left hand side of the dashboard near the windscreen)
26 - PBR
27 - Refrigerant temperature sensor

Press AUTO to return to normal operation.

Itchy

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Also, you might want to check your fuses - I'm just about to go and check mine...

Code:
[u]Front fusebox[/u]
[b]Left Column, top to bottom:[/b]
10A - Rear wiper 
10A - ABS 
10A - Starter motor 
10A - Int light 
10A - Brake lights 
[i]blank[/i]
10A - Electrics
10A - Engine Control 
10A - Hazards 
15A - Fog Lights 
10A - Indicators 
10A - Meters 
10A - Electrics 

[b]Right Column, top to bottom:[/b]

10A - Shift lock 
10A - A/T Control 
10A - Air con 
10A - Engine Control 
10A - Airbag 
[i]blank[/i] 
20A - Blower motor 
20A - Blower motor 
10A - Audio 
15A - Cigarette Lighter 
20A - Front Wiper 
10A - Mirror De-fogger 
20A - Rear De-fogger

[u]REAR Fusebox[/u]
[b]Reading from top to bottom[/b]

65A - Main 
45A - Blower 
30A - 4WD/LSD 
30A - IGN SW 

15A - FUEL PUMP 
20A - HEAD L RH 
20A - HEAD L LH 
10A - ALT S
10A - TAIL L 
20A - HICAS 
15A - AUDIO
Also, I have been reliably informed that the sunload sensor will register a fault in anything less than full sunlight. Would be handy if other R33 GTR owners could confirm/deny this.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I'm a happy bunny

Well, I guessed my car realised I wasn't in a happy mood...

Went out to the car, engaged aircon diagnostics - first check, "20" is reported. Hooray! Second check, bit of clicking and whirring later - "30" is reported. Hooray again! I then go through the motions of checking the sensor temps and everything appears normal - 22 degrees outside temp, 37 degrees inside the car.

I then come out of diagnostics, put the temperature down to 18 degrees and stick AUTO on ..... A/C light comes on, fans go up to 4 and freezing cold air comes out. Almost seemed too good to be true. I get out the car and within about a minute the fan at the front of the radiator comes on.

I left it like this for about 5 minutes just to savour the moment before turning the whole aircon unit off.

Final test before I got too excited. I switched the fans on, still 18 degrees but this time no "A/C". Sure enough I just got a blast of fan cooled air. But wait, surely this is too good to be true?.... I press "A/C" and a few seconds later, the fans get louder, the engine revs go lower and Im greeted by a blast of ice cold air.

So - a clean bill of health. Didn't even have to check the fusebox either! I got out the car, patted the dashboard as if to say "thanks" and came back inside. :D :D

I'm in a thoroughly happy mood now :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Anybody got a spare temperature sensor handy with my name on it

Yes And It could very well have your Name On it!

What is it's worth?

As a rule of thumb second hand working parts go for half the Price new

If this does not do the trick I will refund In full as well how about that for an offer! Less postage! as long as you return it!

Bruce let me know

BTW you could just talk nice you your car like Durzel and see if that does the trick:D

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Guys,

The sunload sensor will normally show up dud, unless the sun is full on it. In this country that doesn't happen too often :(

The fan infront of the radiator normally takes a long time to start up, I can not recall of mines actually running but it does work (I've tested it).

Maybe worth checking the SDU forum, as that's where I found most of the aircon diagnostic info when I wondered if it was working OK.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Next Point Of Call

Ok, it looks like my sunload sensor does work in the end. tried the diagnostics directly in the sun and 20 is displayed.

Half happy now :(

So what actually controls this god dam fan, im half tempted to go manual and install a switch, maybe not. Is it the climate control or a thermostat on the radiator.

Must get this problem sorted :confused:

Itchy

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Itchy,

Have you tried switching the aircon on at full load (18deg or lower if it goes) and waiting for a good bit to see if the fan starts up ?

I beleive it is the climate control that decides when it comes on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers Bruce for the offer but seems all is fine now.

Jason i have tried running the aircon as low as i goes + giving the car a hard blast up the motorway and still nothing.

Itchy

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Itchy said:
Cheers Bruce for the offer but seems all is fine now.

Jason i have tried running the aircon as low as i goes + giving the car a hard blast up the motorway and still nothing.

Itchy
Is there any easy way of checking to see that the fan itself works? I'm not an electrician so I'm pretty useless in this field but presumably there must be a way to force the fan to come on by closing a circuit or something.

Incidentally, what does your diagnostics report for inside and outside air temperature? (If you go to where it says "5" on the aircon diagnostics (keep pressing HOT) then the windscreen button cycles through sensors).

I can only imagine that if your outside air temperature sensor is completely wrong, then the fan might not ever kick in because it'll think its cold enough outside already.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts