GTR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the above petrol and do they still sell it?

I use V-Power normally, would it be risky to use anything different?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Tesco 99 is noticably better than its 'normal' unleaded, and is the best fuel for maximum timing that I can find.
My local Tesco is busy though and the fuel seems to always be fresh.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
My GTR's been mapped for V Power; it doesn't run as well on Tesco.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
there was a topic about this before, i think that even tho it has 99 ron rating it is not as good as other super unleaded petrols for some reason.

Try a search.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
there was a topic about this before, i think that even tho it has 99 ron rating it is not as good as other super unleaded petrols for some reason.

Try a search.
From what I've read it's a bit of a weird one. Some cars seem to get better results on it than others. For some it was better than v-power et al.

I have used it for some time though mine is mapped for 'normal' super unleaded. Seems a reasonable precaution and it's not more expensive than other 'normal' super.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
I put either tesco 99 or V power in the Stagea (both are 99)
It runs fine on either but on the odd occassion I have put in optimax it seemed "less happy"

It was mapped on Tesco 99 originally

·
Registered
312 Posts
I almost always use Tesco99. If it's not available, then I use V Power.Have never run any of my Rb's on anything other than Superunleaded. I've often felt Tesco was slightly better, plus I get lots of clubcard points :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
9 times out of 10 mine gets tesco 99 never had any probs, + clubcard points soon add up, especially driving a skyline:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for all the reply's, :thumbsup: I'll give the Tesco fuel ago and see how I get on.

A small amount to start with though, don't want to find out the hard way, that the car doesn't run well on it. :(

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I know some confusion has come from there being 2 different Tesco's super unleaded depending on where you go. Some are 97 octane and others are 99. In other words, just because you picked up the 'super' nozzle, make sure you read the label to see if it is actually the 99 version.

The above could also explain why some people have had different experiences???

Personally, I get on great with the 99 version and 2nd to that I use V power just like many others on here have said.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Tesco 99 is noticably better than its 'normal' unleaded, and is the best fuel for maximum timing that I can find.
My local Tesco is busy though and the fuel seems to always be fresh.

Back in the day tweenie (RIP) did some extensive mapping and testing on my 33gtr and indeed with the tesco he could extract max timing even compared to Optimax. He mapped my gtr and my scooby on tesco but both would run fine on optimax, I think the difference is neglible.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
i used tesco 99 in my gtir once it would start then cut out again second start it was fine, filled up with optimax again and it was fine, never used it since

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Personally I have had no issues when running my old Supra on Tesco 99 but the previous owner of my Skyline intimated that it doesn't like the Tesco fuel for some reason. Its one of the areas I don't want to risk so I go for V power if I can find a Shell station thats busy (rumours abound the V-power RON deteriorates with time) or Esso / BP 97 RON.

Watching knock is a good idea - I'd need an interested passenger to do that as I don't want to be looking at a gauge at high speed!

·
Registered
893 Posts
From what I can gather the RON and MON ratings slightly differ between the two fuels. I read somewhere that Tesco 99 gets its higher RON rating because its blended with bio-ethanol which in turn will cause sludging to occur within the fuelling system over time, whether there is any truth in the fuel being blended with bio-ethanol I really don't know?!

Chris mentioned about tweenie not being able to extract max timing when using Optimax, however Optimax was a 98 RON fuel when compared to Tesco 99 which is 99RON, a higher RON rated fuel. The relatively new V-Power is a 99 RON fuel and also contains various cleaning agents so it'd be good to see a comparison using both 99 RON fuels.

All fuel will deteriorate over time, so I think its important to use a busy petrol station to make sure you're getting the freshest fuel you can no matter what fuel you use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts