GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have test driven a stock 09 and would appreciate comments to help me decide if a GT-R is for me.

As background I have been driving an Audi B5 S4 for the last 13 years. It has full Miltek exhaust and remap (did 320bhp/560Nm on the RR - might be less now) plus KW coilovers and Porsche front brakes. I still love the car but it's getting old and I feel it's time for a change. After a fair bit of research I thought that 'on paper' either an Audi TT RS or a GT-R would be a good upgrade.

I won't say much about the TT RS (yes I read some of the 'vs' thread on here) except that right now I can only really compare the GT-R I test drove to the TT RS and my car.

The bottom line is (of course) that I was well impressed with the GT-R - I wanted to just keep driving it for the rest of the day. However I have a few 'niggles' in my mind that I need to resolve:

Road noise: I didn't like this at first. However the radio wasn't on and I usually listen to something when I drive so it shouldn't be an issue. Nevertheless I noticed that the car has Bridgestone Potenzas. Are there any alternative brands that are any quieter?

Exhaust noise: I must be the only petrolhead who doesn't care what my car sounds like, so the 'booming' at very low revs was irritating. I wouldn't want anything much noisier. Are the later MY cars any louder that the 09?

Suspension: I guess it was as I expected but I'm used to firm suspension with my car. I drove in comfort mode a lot, but it only felt slightly softer (and even that could have been my imagination. Is this only very slight difference to be expected? I read that Nissan changed the suspension on a later model - is the difference significant?

Handling: The roads were too damn busy during my test drive so I had to satisfy myself by driving fast and tight around some roundabouts to feel the handling. I was surprised that the tyres could quite easily lose traction, however it had been raining a lot so the roads were pretty wet. Does this sound right?

Gearbox: Coming from a manual I find the auto a bit strange. The GT-R did not do strange gearchanges like the TT RS does, but it seemed to love going to high gear such that when it came to putting my foot down the time it took to get into a gear to provide the demanded boost was obvious. I felt like I needed to use the paddleshift to be ready in the right gear. Now undoubtedly my lack of experience with such a car was part of the problem, but I have read about new gearbox software introduced in MY12 - what difference does this make?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Welcome :)

To answer some of your points:

Exhaust noise: do you know if the car had an aftermarket Y-pipe / mid-pipe? It's a common mod that removes two silencers and two cats in the centre exhaust section for better sound and power. Some of them drone and can be quite boomy, but there are lots of types out there. If it's got an aftermarket Y-pipe already then it can easily be changed.

Gearbox: in normal mode it does like to change up pretty quickly. You'll probably find you won't want to drive it in auto anyway as it's much more fun using the paddles. But if you do want to drive it in auto then you can set the gearbox to R mode and it will hold onto gears for longer and change up much later.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
A stock R35 GTR made 320bhp on a rolling road? Thats miles off what it should be....

Exhaust: I switched to silenced ypipe and downpipes, makes a huge difference. Quiet at normal revs (stockish) and then comes to life after 3200rpm.

Suspension: The earlier models were very harsh.... I have switched to 2012 suspension and its exactly what I wanted.

Handling: Depends on traction control software, new ECUTek stuff is much better and also depends on the tyres! Not to mention the traction control setting.... the standard setting cuts in quite harshly and limits fun a lot. You must remember this car is RWD most of the time and shifts power to the front on demand, its something you have to get used to. It has moments, but if you keep on it and dont change throttle and steering, car sorts it all out for you :)

Gearbox: depends on the mode and the software. The auto is not fantastic, but is useful in traffic and for motorway cruising. For fun times, stick to paddles.... again ECUTek mapping improves gearchanges a lot, especially on older cars.

Whereabouts are you based?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Gearbox software can be easily upgraded by the way and makes several improvements, but it doesn't make much difference to the shift points in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Gearbox software can be easily upgraded by the way and makes several improvements, but it doesn't make much difference to the shift points in my opinion.
True, but the software helps with the jerky aspect when at low speeds and reverse - definitely worth the money though

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Graham,

the 320bhp was his Audi S4.
Opps.... thanks, makes a lot more sense now!

Ignore that bit then, but the rest of my comments stand :)

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I find mine (MY2010) a bit jerky when pulling off in traffic as well.
Mine is still crap when very cold, but its mostly gone with the ECUTek. Is your standard or ECUTek'd?

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Standard, not a thing done to it.
Then definitely consider the ECUTek software.... Or the Cobb, both have pros and cons, my preference is the ECUTek

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
earlier models the handling is harsh and isnt helped by the standard tyres. Mitchelin pilot supersport (MPSS) help a lot, including wet weather grip but arent quite as good for outright grip or feel in good dry conditions.

Road noise can be an issue - partly tyres, but also through lack of sound proofing - or such that people often add extra sound proofing when doing speaker upgrades and report a significant improvement.

gearbox in auto mode just runs through the gears as soon as possible. Thats why the fuel consumption, carbon emmisions and resulting low road car TAX is so cheap ;) :(

exhaust noise - is to taste. From stock people generally complain it's miles too quiet and can easily and readily be changed to make it louder / more quiet. Drone can be an issue, partciularly at certain speeds, that tend to be between 69 and 74 mph (or similar). People dont seem to complain about it all the times and those that it bothers (some love it) generally just drive slower to et rid of the noise and also ensure compliance with the road laws in the UK.

With catless downpipes fitted and a full system - everyone will know your coming :)

Hope that helps. People seem to love the car and your post above hits most the complaints people have, which fortunatly can be fixed / improved. The other one is insanely soft paint but you will probably find this out at some point soon

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have test driven a stock 09 and would appreciate comments to help me decide if a GT-R is for me.

As background I have been driving an Audi B5 S4 for the last 13 years. It has full Miltek exhaust and remap (did 320bhp/560Nm on the RR - might be less now) plus KW coilovers and Porsche front brakes. I still love the car but it's getting old and I feel it's time for a change. After a fair bit of research I thought that 'on paper' either an Audi TT RS or a GT-R would be a good upgrade.

I won't say much about the TT RS (yes I read some of the 'vs' thread on here) except that right now I can only really compare the GT-R I test drove to the TT RS and my car.

The bottom line is (of course) that I was well impressed with the GT-R - I wanted to just keep driving it for the rest of the day. However I have a few 'niggles' in my mind that I need to resolve:

Road noise: I didn't like this at first. However the radio wasn't on and I usually listen to something when I drive so it shouldn't be an issue. Nevertheless I noticed that the car has Bridgestone Potenzas. Are there any alternative brands that are any quieter?

I run mpss, they are better for normal road use but do not track as well as the run flats at speed, lot depends on how hard you push your car on a track, if indeed you want to go on a track

Exhaust noise: I must be the only petrolhead who doesn't care what my car sounds like, so the 'booming' at very low revs was irritating. I wouldn't want anything much noisier. Are the later MY cars any louder that the 09?

They are all too silent for my tastes, its a supercar so it should sound like a supercar ( my opinion ) if you put a aftermarket system on they do sound like they should, but its less droney ( my word ) than just a y pipe, I have been down this route if you want any advice just ask, every one has there own fav's and will tell you his/hers are the best , you pays your money you makes your choice

Suspension: I guess it was as I expected but I'm used to firm suspension with my car. I drove in comfort mode a lot, but it only felt slightly softer (and even that could have been my imagination. Is this only very slight difference to be expected? I read that Nissan changed the suspension on a later model - is the difference significant?

Don't know mine is stock, tyres will make a massive difference though

Handling: The roads were too damn busy during my test drive so I had to satisfy myself by driving fast and tight around some roundabouts to feel the handling. I was surprised that the tyres could quite easily lose traction, however it had been raining a lot so the roads were pretty wet. Does this sound right?

It has over 500 bhp any thing with sort of power will lose traction :p

Gearbox: Coming from a manual I find the auto a bit strange. The GT-R did not do strange gearchanges like the TT RS does, but it seemed to love going to high gear such that when it came to putting my foot down the time it took to get into a gear to provide the demanded boost was obvious. I felt like I needed to use the paddleshift to be ready in the right gear. Now undoubtedly my lack of experience with such a car was part of the problem, but I have read about new gearbox software introduced in MY12 - what difference does this make?

I think this to save fuel, I all ways drive in manual, I have had my gear box done and it is better around town if I do put it an auto, but I do tend to drive more on the paddles

·
Registered
540 Posts
Road noise: As has been said, the car has almost nothing in the way of soundproofing, so the roadnoise and the exhaust drone are a symptom of this. Fitting a couple of layers of bitumen soundproofing such as Dynomat cures the road noise and exhaust drone and makes the car feel much more upmarket.

Exhaust noise: The GTR runs a 3" exhaust as standard, but is normally criticised for it's muted tone. Most owners fit a catless Y-pipe to increase the volume, but these come with or without resonators. Resonated pipes don't drone.

Suspension: Suspension is very firm, but a lot of this is down to the runflat tyres. Changing to normal tyres makes a big difference to ride quality. You can also upgrade to MY 12 suspension which rides better, or splash out on Litchfield designed Bilstein suspension which is said to ride beautifully. I have a MY13 and have changed to Pzeros and the ride is much improved.

Handling: Wet weather handling in the car isn't brilliant, especially on runflats which are almost semi-slicks. There is a famous Autocar video of an Audi A1 quattro demolishing a GTR on track which say it all.

Don't forget that despite the usual pub talk of the GTR 'driving itself', the reality is that the car can be a handful, especially in the wet and is mostly rear wheel biased, so oversteer if you're too keen on the throttle is quite easily achieved - especially in the wet.

Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Forgot to say - there's no point driving the car in auto mode, it's meant to be driven in manual using the paddles, as the speed of the gearchanges is one of the little pleasures of driving it, especially the throttle blips on down-changes in race mode.

Also exhaust wise - the standard exhaust tone is hugely uninspiring, and for me takes away one of the sensory pleasures of driving a fast car. But, fitting a decent aftermarket system releases and incredible howl from the car, more befitting of its semi supercar status, and really brings the driving experience to life.

You really ought to drive one:

1. In manual using race mode

2. With normal road tyres

3. With an uprated exhaust (and resonated y-pipe)

Mart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for the feedback.

I checked in an 2013 owners manual that I downloaded and can see the transmission 'R' switch there. But I swear that on the 09 car I drove this was marked for SNOW. Was this changed in a later year?

Nevertheless I accept the comments that it would be best to use the paddles for fast driving and just let the auto take over for other driving.

Interesting comments about the tyres. I have Michelin PS on my car as they have been the best I tried, so its good to hear that this make might be better on the GT-R. However I'm interested in the comments about changing to normal tyres. I have no experience of the run flats but they must have less tyrewall flex than normal tyres, and yes I did notice that the ones on the test car looked slickish. It makes sense that a normal tyre could improve both traction and ride. Any downsides to this - would the pressure monitoring still work?

It's not so good to have it confirmed that the MY12 suspension is so much better. I have only just persuaded the wife that I might spend £39K on a car so I think an MY12 is out of the question.

Yes I must be unique about not caring about exhaust noise. I laughed when I read that the S button on an Audi TT RS opens a flap in the system to increase noise. WTF!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yes, some ppl do upgrade their MY12 suspension to the Litchfield kit, so have their kits available for sale. Just have to keep an eye out!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Dippy, you have identified most of the issues that make the R35 at the rough end of a badger's posterior. It only really makes sense driven in a way you can't generally do on a test drive. The biggest surprise to me after an Evo was how much the rear moves around, Evo was much more stable in bad conditions. Partly torque, partly tyres, but mostly rear bias. What sold me was the price differential compared to a 911 Turbo, but it does come at a cost of ride quality, size, service intervals, refinement. As a road car, I think the 911 Turbo is a better all rounder.

Have you considered a stage 2 B8 S4 which seems to accelerate similar to standard 09 GTR with similar power, weight, DSG, but somewhat easier to live with?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts