GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
ok i did a crapy drawing to see if i got this right did you do somthing like the orange line or the pink line

as if its the orange line wont the air come up from the turbo and then move both left and gight disrupting air flow even more than if it hits the top of the tube ?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Okay,

So can someone put a drawing up of the said design as I cant get it either and would be interested in trying it myself!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Does this mean a single twin scroll turbo is simpler/more efficient/runs cooler and produces more power than 2 turbos?

·
Registered
123 Posts
well my drawing wasnt ment to be true to life

so what your saying is that the pipe bends round like the pink line so if you insert a stright pice of metal then it covers the first inlet like the link line does and not the orange line

this kinda thing really intrests me as its somthing that most ppl can do on a shoe string budget but makes a lot of diference to the performance

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Looking at the stock twin turbo pipe, i thought it was rubbish, seems it was.

Think ill try get one of those Nismo etc pipes then.

Ah, but looking stock is so much cooler. We have the smog nazis here in California. If it even looks polished they give you a hassle. Not that most of them would know what a GT-R is supposed to look like.

I still like looking stock and going fast. I used to paint all my engines flat black. Everything, flat black.

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,561 Posts
Taking inspiration from this thread and impressed with the dyno results I have just completed this modification on my own Twin Turbo pipe as part of my engine rebuild.

I choose to have a slightly more curved baffle at the start of the bend to aid the flow:

But I did underestimate how hard it would be to get a hack saw blade to turn through such a tight radii on 5mm thick Ali. Still, with the help of a dremel I made it:

The next problem was trying to thread annalbeit relatively thin 1mm piece of Ali through the jagged slot I had cut. I found I have to open the gap up using two blades in my hack saw at the same time and the dremel once again, and a lot of man handling finally got it in there:

Next I got a guy at work to weld it up. Not the prettiest welding, but its out of sight and sealed!. The only problem was the paint blistered, which I didn't mind as its only the top surface that is on show. Still I was quite shocked when he gave me the pipe back and proudly announced he had taken it upon himself to sand blasted the paint off! :( :bawling:

So a trip down the paint shop and £50 later its finished :cool: :

Just in time too as an hour after picking it up it was handed back to RK for fitting. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Very interesting.

I like the way a slot has been cut on the underside of the pipe and then a piece of thin ali inserted.
Now would a normal person who is OK with metal tools and would be happy to do the job, be able to do it? (Welding would be done by a pro)

Has anyone got a template of the sheet of ali that they inserted? OR is it a case of insert the piece and then trim the excess on the unside?

Baz

21 - 40 of 186 Posts