GTR Forum banner

61 - 80 of 186 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,247 Posts
drove mine some more yesterday, and i've always known my car needed mapping since i have changed the exhaust, turbo's, elbows, BOV's and never got it mapped. lol

15,000 miles later and this mod has made the car feel sooo much perkier. it picks up better coming on boost, and i've not had any shuffle at all.

i'm well pleased.

mook

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Robbie, G40tee, Mook, thanks for the positive feedback, nice to know you're feeling the benefit.

Next batch of pipes ongoing....hope to get loads of these done over winter so everybody's cars are smoother and more refined!

Ian

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
14 tooth blade
masking tape on the pipe
mark the line
put it in the vice
crc lubricant
go for gold.
Ive cut 6mm tooling plate with my hand held jigsaw.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I cut 40x40mm with a hand saw, 3mm slices, +/-0.5 tolerance as an apprentice :p

Nothing that is impossible, but a bandsaw makes it easier :)

And don't forget to release pressure while pulling the saw backwards :D

Marc

·
Registered
138 Posts
I fitted mine at the weekend, but didn't get much time to test what with the rain and traffic. Last night though, had a blast and she seems to pick up better higher up, say 6000 upwards, just seems to take off.

Under normal driving conditions I can't feel any difference, but she sounds different. The "shwoosh" as the air gets sucked in is a bit louder (this may be the new filters though), the turbo whistle is a bit quieter, and the dv's sound different. Under light to med boost they used to go "tschhh" now they go "tboooo" like they do under higher boost. I prefer the "tboooo" sound anyway.

Does anybody have any idea what I just said? I can't spell sounds!

Anyway the pipe was done very nicely, fitted with no problems.

Pics: Skyline Self Service (Part 1) - Tim Trott

Thanks Ian!

Regards,
Tim

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I fitted mine at the weekend, but didn't get much time to test what with the rain and traffic. Last night though, had a blast and she seems to pick up better higher up, say 6000 upwards, just seems to take off.

Under normal driving conditions I can't feel any difference, but she sounds different. The "shwoosh" as the air gets sucked in is a bit louder (this may be the new filters though), the turbo whistle is a bit quieter, and the dv's sound different. Under light to med boost they used to go "tschhh" now they go "tboooo" like they do under higher boost. I prefer the "tboooo" sound anyway.

Does anybody have any idea what I just said? I can't spell sounds!

Anyway the pipe was done very nicely, fitted with no problems.

Pics: Skyline Self Service (Part 1) - Tim Trott

Thanks Ian!

Regards,
Tim
Tim, your results sound like a mixture of the baffled pipe and new filters!
Glad you are happy though, thanks for the feedback and also for sending your pipe back so quickly!

regards, Ian

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Can you explain what we're seeing, test setup etc.? Flow looks more on modified one, but why, and is this slow speed test applicable to high flow?

(I'm not picking, I just want to understand)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Can you explain what we're seeing, test setup etc.? Flow looks more on modified one, but why, and is this slow speed test applicable to high flow?

(I'm not picking, I just want to understand)
Apologies 'ru, i missed this reply.

What you are seeing here is as follows:

Both pipes tested on the same bench, using same flow rates.
I constant air supply is fed to each inlet on the twin turbo pipe. In this portion we added smoke tablets to demonstrate the flow: Orange simulating front turbo, grey simulating rear.

Observations:
Nissan Part:
- Turbulent flow and mixing of smoke, colour changes as the gas flow from each turbo fight each other.

Modified Baffled part:
- Consistant flow with distinctive separation of orange and grey smoke.
- Less turbulent and seemingly quicker flowing.

I am by no means an expert of gas flow, but this was done to try and demonstrate the benefit of this modification. The footage speaks for itself.

The feedback from buyers has been excellent.
One customer has recently sent his pipe back to me for polishing and hence refitted a standard pipe in the meantime. He was surprised once again to feel the difference in throttle response.

Regards, Ian

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Cheers for the reply Ian; I've still got the vids sitting on my desktop so I'll have another look now I know what I'm looking at. :D

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I'm looking forward to getting mine! There are enough instructions to do this DIY, but I decided to go with tried and true, after trying to measure *where* to cut and then realizing I had no idea where the optimal cut would be.

Ian, would you happen to have a tracking number on my pipe? Should be easy enough to install on my own, but so is a viscous fan swap and I managed to screw that one up :p

·
Registered
620 Posts
Split pipe

This is a must do Mod, after installing one and telling people about it, I was talked in to selling the one off my car, hated that decision afterwards. Putting on the pipe for the first time there is a difference, the Butt Dyno may be expecting head snapping jaw dropping change, however that is not whats going to happen. The impact of this mod, may seem insignificant until you have driven around with it for a month or so, and then remove it and go back to the stock set up. That is when you will realize how significant this mod really is, and you will wonder how you ever got along with out it. Needless to say I immediately got another split pipe installed. If you don't have it get it! If you live in Japan PM me and I can square you away with one, pretty quick. Not trying to steal your Thunder there Ian, it's just every GTR should have this unless they have hard pipes.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Just got my modified pipe back from ian (for polishing) and im sure hes chromed it by accident, the finish is amazing and as good as my chromed non-baffled pipe. Noticed the performace increase again when fitting it back on the car (i.e. removing my non-baffled chrome intake pipe). Great mod well worth it

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
true that, it's so polished that you can barely make out the welds. Total stealth mod :)

whoever polished it must be not getting any, because surely they took out that kind of frustration at spending about twenty hours at the buffing wheel!

unfortunately, I haven't been able to test it yet, as I'm still waiting on my alternator replacement. Goddam, I think whoa, $100 is too steep for shipping, I'll take the $50 option. But then having to wait another two weeks, that $50 doesn't seem so expensive anymore. Shit, that's a really cheap night out with the missus, and I'm bikebound with no (four) wheels to get around on. Not that I have anything to complain about with my bike selection, but sometimes you just want to go somewhere without donning a full suit of armor and sweating a gallon in traffic....yes it takes three times as long to drive anywhere than it does to bike it, except late at night, but in these summer days I'm dying for that A/C....

61 - 80 of 186 Posts