GTR Forum banner

121 - 140 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Not going to happen. Not easily. Two different programs, dyno software, Datalogit software. I didn't even hook up the Datalogit when we did these pulls originally. Nothing was too weird, and I looked at the knock, but there was nothing crazy about the setup.

Boost I can pull up pretty easily. I don't have a wideband hooked up though my dyno, I use an external wideband.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Hi Lee,
sorry to hear you are having difficulty.
PM me your number and i'll call you. Providing I made it and you aren't happy, i'll give full refund and replacement pipe in the post next day. We've received nothing but praise for this so far, as a result I'm pretty confident it's an installation issue.

Stupid question, but check that the gasket between front turbo and the modified pipe is properly in place, i've seen them hanging out before now!
Ian
Lee, thanks for the PM tell me you made your own pipe.
The shape of the dividing plate makes a big difference, took me 4 iterations to get it how i wanted it!

Ian

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
If the car is coming up sooner, might be in a different box in the map. If you are 2-3-4 degrees off, it might feel slower. You will often feel this as it will feel better at low throttle as you normally get more timing, have more timing in those areas of the map.
ah dammit. That was my gut feeling. Time to break out the laptop and spend the night road mapping.

In the low areas of the map, isn't it possible to have too much timing as well, since the car is not pulling much boost and the engine is not knock-limited at that point?

Complicatiing things is the 50% toluene I run. The stuff has a slower flamefront velocity, which would call for even more advanced timing. I don't run toluene in the winter cause it doesn't light off.

Argh, anyways, must get off my lazy ass and remap ignition. I used to like mapping. Now it's a tedious 3-4 hours. Maybe I'm just getting old, with a kid and all. Maybe I should tell the wife to withhold sex, get me motivated to vent energy elsewhere, like into tuning my car.

But anyways, thanks for confirming what was ligering in the back of my mind. It does feel like timing is about 4 degrees retarded when spooling up. Just that little bit of sluggishness.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
But anyways, thanks for confirming what was ligering in the back of my mind. It does feel like timing is about 4 degrees retarded when spooling up. Just that little bit of sluggishness.
Well see how it goes and report. The cars I tired it on, only one was back to back with no tuning. The others were new builds and tunes.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Lee, thanks for the PM tell me you made your own pipe.
The shape of the dividing plate makes a big difference, took me 4 iterations to get it how i wanted it!

Ian
Just to keep people updated........
Lee has fixed his issue, turns out he had a gasket problem.
He's a happy man now though!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Just to keep people updated........
He's a happy man now though!
Good. I was the one that started this thread, and I liked the mod. It made sense to me, and hearing it made it much worse for someone really makes me wonder.

I am not even selling anything to anyone, and I am here pushing the mod like I am.

·
Registered
358 Posts
"Just to keep people updated........
He's a happy man now though!"

He certainly has:clap:

A thousand apologies to the guys that have not yet done the pipe mod, that might have been put off by me reporting boost probs since fitting the modified pipe. Hand on heart, i double checked, triple checked... all boost pipes, pressure tested the I/cooler etc. It turned out to be the first gasket out the rear turbo, (pressure side), had blown to bits !....wish i'd known this Sunday at the dragstrip, make no wonder it was so bloody laggy ! Still, 12.45 @ 110 is not slow for a stocker... 12.20 next time:thumbsup:

Sooooo...... i highly recommend this mod, my turbo's spool faster, at slightly less rpm, i've had to knock about 5% gain of the B-controller to stop the head coming through the bonnet !

Lee.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
A thousand apologies to the guys that have not yet done the pipe mod, that might have been put off by me reporting boost probs since fitting the modified pipe. so bloody laggy ! Still, 12.45 @ 110 is not slow for a stocker... 12.20 next time:thumbsup: Lee.
What was your 60 foot on the 12.45 run ? [email protected] isn't bad though honestly.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The 60 ft was 1.82 on the 12.45 run.......but here's the sweetener...the previous run was 12.46... with a 1.75 60 ft..........(with a boost leak;))

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
remapped ignition. Added 2-3 degrees timing in key places in the first quadrant, lag is gone, and the car spools faster than ever.

Wrote a long list of my observations but the goddam thing didn't post and I lost it. I'm not retyping it. Shit. Lowering boost gain increased knock. Raising it lowered knock. Did this back to back several times. Weird. Boost controller works in a way that I like, it overshoots to 1.91 bars in 1st and 2nd, but in those gears there isn't enough time for the controller to really rein in the boost as those gears are over very quickly, a second and a bit, depending on reaction time, for 1st, 2 seconds tops for 2nd. In 3rd and 4th, it hits 1.9 then pulls back to 1.75 bars by 6000rpm. I like that. In 5th, it's slow enough so that the controller can nail the 1.75 bar target boost spot on.

I think some cars, depending on the extant map, just require extra mapping to make maximum use of the pipe mod. boost is smoother and builds much faster, the boost needle moves noticeably more quickly around the dial than before.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
remapped ignition. Added 2-3 degrees timing in key places in the first quadrant, lag is gone, and the car spools faster than ever.just require extra mapping to make maximum use of the pipe mod. boost is smoother and builds much faster, the boost needle moves noticeably more quickly around the dial than before.
So what you are saying, is that I was correct. You guys shouldn't smoke weed and drive. ha ha ha.

First was an install error, and the 2nd one was more like a touchy car. The stock car we did, we didn't have to touch it. The big modified cars as I said were from the ground up retunes.

I am glad to hear it. Sometimes you just wonder if you see a result with back to back testing, and someone gets a completely different one, if you did something wrong or different.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
touchy car indeed. Since I'm revising my full map 3~4 times a year, I guess my tune is really not a basic one but closer to the edge, and sensitive to changes in temperature, etc.

I've got a max of 38 degrees timing advance in the 1st quadrant of the map. Seems like a lot, but the car seems to like it. A lot. Any eyebrows raising here at that much advance at 2500rpm? (I revised ignition from 2500 to 4100rpm, load up to 12)

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
I've got a max of 38 degrees timing advance in the 1st quadrant of the map. Seems like a lot, but the car seems to like it. A lot. Any eyebrows raising here at that much advance at 2500rpm? (I revised ignition from 2500 to 4100rpm, load up to 12)
How "perfect " is your 20 degrees BTDC ? If your gun is off, your mark is off. In a perfect world, should be dead on. In real life might be off 2,3,5 degrees. Better to notice what your car likes and wants than the straight numbers.

Become one with the car.

·
Registered
752 Posts
what fuel are you using? cuz been in the verge of knock is generally not the appropiate ammount of advance (unless your engine design is old and your using low octane fuel).

121 - 140 of 186 Posts