GTR Forum banner

141 - 160 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
it's still possible to shuffle 2860-5s with this mod, but you've got to be extremely clumsy with the boost and throttle in 5th gear. Otherwise, it's totally gone.

I've gotten my map and turbo settings adjusted to the pipe. It's no miracle in terms of eliminating lag, but it just feels more efficient, plus when the car's on boil, it's more frightening. The missus told me that when the car's at full boost, I always yell like I'm on a roller coaster. I think that means I've got enough power!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I presume this mod improves gas flow and therefore makes the job of the turbos easier, resulting in slightly cooler charge and possibly less backpressure if more can be directed out of the wastegates rather than having to be forced through the turbines?

If that's true, maybe a small advance in timing might be possible. If so, this could be a bolt on mod but a subsequent remap might be able to extract a few more bhp? Probably not worth a remap on its own though unless you're having one anyway for something else.

Just guesses though.

Cheers,
Kingsley.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
I presume this mod improves gas flow and therefore makes the job of the turbos easier, resulting in slightly cooler charge and possibly less backpressure if more can be directed out of the wastegates rather than having to be forced through the turbines?.
It might take a little tweak.Although when I originally tried this out, I just wanted to test back to back with the setup.

Its funny how different the car can drive with just the addition of a little divider.

I would say the rear turbo works a little less hard, and considering the rear of the engine is the hottest, and we get knock usually at #6, its a good thing.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Tyndago im really hoping (wishing ) to try and get hold of you please can you pm me if you not to busy mate i need a great big help on my car and i know you can help.
Please can you let me know how to contact you.
Thanks guys sorry for hijacking the thread the most recent post i could find from this gentleman.
Ps the pipe you all talk of is one of the cheapest and best mods to do to a car with uprated turbos works wonders to a Rb26's performance and response.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Installed this item this evening (I'm running a reasonble stock RB26 - factory tubbies, injectors, Factory ECU )And what a difference!:D

Engine breaths better, It pulls better. Little bit more power through the range. No shuffle(suckie blowie with the foot half off the accelarator).

Its a nice we mod (thats probably been said already countless times) but hey it really is.

Happy GavGTR - Happy!:D

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I also noticed a slight improvement in economy. I took the car for a 500 mile jaunt this weekend and got 330 miles out of one tank(before the fuel light lit). The best previous endevour was around 300 miles on previous jaunts. So gaining a 10% range improvement aint to shabby either.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I also noticed a slight improvement in economy. I took the car for a 500 mile jaunt this weekend and got 330 miles out of one tank(before the fuel light lit). The best previous endevour was around 300 miles on previous jaunts. So gaining a 10% range improvement aint to shabby either.
Excellent - I can hopefully look forward to 220 miles to the tank then. Not sure how on earth you got 330 ... !

Cheers,
Kingsley.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Excellent - I can hopefully look forward to 220 miles to the tank then. Not sure how on earth you got 330 ... !

Cheers,
Kingsley.
Most of it was motorway travel with odd spirited acceleration while over taking.

I know when I was driving around town I would get as low as 250miles to the tank. That was before the mod. I dont drive much in town anymore to many idiots!

Like I said on a previous post I'm still fairly factory tune engine wise. Most of my mods are suspension and brakes related.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,170 Posts
Most of it was motorway travel with odd spirited acceleration while over taking.

I know when I was driving around town I would get as low as 250miles to the tank. That was before the mod. I dont drive much in town anymore to many idiots!

Like I said on a previous post I'm still fairly factory tune engine wise. Most of my mods are suspension and brakes related.
I usually see about 500km out of a tank. That's a fair bit of m-way work with some blasts when I can. Could go further but I don't like running on vapours.

I think that the R32 has a bigger tank than the later cars if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Popped over to Germany recently - first time I really got a chance to drive the car properly since fitting the pipe.

Cruising at 90mph is fine but 105 was uncomfortable because it kept 'chuffing' through the BOV and momentarily dropping boost, so it kept jerking. Was running at about 0.5 bar cruising at this speed, on about 30% throttle according to the AVC-R. Was fine if I put my foot down to accelerate through it but it just didn't like cruising at that speed.

I don't really drive like that in the UK so to be honest I don't know whether it would have done it on the standard TT pipe but as I no longer have it around to put back on, I can't test it.

Turbos are standard R34 GTR ones.

Anyone else had this?

Cheers,
Kingsley.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Sorry to hear this Kingsley.
We've done thousands of miles of testing on two cars and not known this concern.
As you say, it's possibly unrelated. If you want to speak to me about it, please feel free to pm me for my number.

We're supplied nearly 100 of these now.
We're planning a one-off for the lucky 100th customer!
Keep your eyes peeled!

141 - 160 of 186 Posts