GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
T51r's do sound awesome but you would be disappointed with the lag. They are 800-1000bhp turbos.

I am fitting a Precision Turbo 6266 to mine which makes pretty much the same noise, flutters and will spool up a hell of a lot faster.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I came across a few posts elsewhere on the web that did mention T51r's don't have that much lag, but then again i cannot remember roughly at what rpm it comes on.

I don't really know much about the Precision turbos and what makes it even more confusing is that Precision have so many different variations in the model names...6266, 6262, 6766...I wouldn't know what to start off with.

I would essentially like fairly good response and power almost right through the rev range. I would like a turbo capable of about 600-700 at the wheel hp....so no idea if the 6266 can handle it.

Need to find some vids of how the 6266 sounds ;) ;)

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
T51r's do sound awesome but you would be disappointed with the lag. They are 800-1000bhp turbos.

I am fitting a Precision Turbo 6266 to mine which makes pretty much the same noise, flutters and will spool up a hell of a lot faster.
Just out of curiosity...did you go for the ball bearing one?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep i see, lots of choices lol.

I might look into the 6466 or 6766 if the 6266 isn't up to the power level I am looking for. However, I did find a post by another member called Natbrat (I think), who showed his dyno graph of a 6266 after being mapped and he made around 700 at the wheels :squintdan

That would be awesome if I could get the same.... :bowdown1:

That choo choo noise is a brilliant addition but no idea if its a bad thing.
This car makes the same noise and sounds awesome

signal auto r34 2 - YouTube

:smokin:

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Yep i see, lots of choices lol.

I might look into the 6466 or 6766 if the 6266 isn't up to the power level I am looking for. However, I did find a post by another member called Natbrat (I think), who showed his dyno graph of a 6266 after being mapped and he made around 700 at the wheels :squintdan

That would be awesome if I could get the same.... :bowdown1:

That choo choo noise is a brilliant addition but no idea if its a bad thing.
This car makes the same noise and sounds awesome

signal auto r34 2 - YouTube

:smokin:
I went for the Dual Ball Bearing one. The whole reason i bought it was because of Natbrat!

The choo choo noise is because it has no dump valves or recircs. Instead, when the throttle is closed, any excess air goes back through the intercooler and into the turbo while its still spinning so its air hitting air basically.

I will be running without recircs and have read lots about ball bearing turbos over the years and the conclusion seems to be they are fine running like that!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So yours will make a choo choo noise also? Lol
niccee..
yes natbrats thread has got me all interested in it also...just need to make sure it can deliver the power I'm looking for in the future without having to change turbos again.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Is the flutter (choo choo) noise not made by the dump valve?
No, I'm pretty sure that's compressor surge.

I used to love the noise mine used to make, when spooling it sounded like a jet fighter about to take off and then Thomas the Tank Engine arrives with the choo choo choo

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Compressor surge, turbo flutter - I have read quite a few posts around the web regarding this and I am still clueless as to how each sounds and how to distinguish the two.

But all i know is...as long as its not hurting the turbo or anything else in the engine bay, then I really want that sound :)
Jet fighter ready to take off, then Thomas arriving - loving the sound of that :D

Oh boy...I can't wait to get mine done - all these ideas have got me itching to get my hands onto my savings sooner than I intended... doh!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
So yours will make a choo choo noise also? Lol
niccee..
yes natbrats thread has got me all interested in it also...just need to make sure it can deliver the power I'm looking for in the future without having to change turbos again.
Yes it will :). I got it running on Saturday and gave it a few revs. Had a nice bit of flutter but I had to put my hand over the port where the recircs came off as i need a bung for it!

·
Registered
376 Posts
No, I'm pretty sure that's compressor surge.

I used to love the noise mine used to make, when spooling it sounded like a jet fighter about to take off and then Thomas the Tank Engine arrives with the choo choo choo
Ah right. Thanks for the info.

I once converted an old VW Scirocco to the Golf Mk4 1.8 turbo engine, upped the boost and ended up with that same sound. Changed out the dump valve for a larger one and the sound went away. I now realise that original dump valve must have been too small to cope :( Oops.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
blatant plug here to the OP but i'm selling my brand new top mount Garrett GT3582 - dual ball bearing.. good for 600+
comes with anti-surge housing and i've also got a set of oil & water lines for it (braided lines) too.

wont make the 700 you sound like your after but i found with that kind of figure comes lag whereas this puppy will come on song pretty soon and at 1.6 bar+ be a time machine

that'll give you the lovely ball bearing whistle and chuff-chuff... i know because my gt3076R made the exact same sound which is why i jumped on this... (btw I found the removal of AFM and big 4" pipe running off the turbo made that fantastic noise more than anything else!)

I'm gonna be running 2860-5's myself now (already got those lol... house is full of turbos at the min ha!)... only reason i didn't fit turbo is that its gonna cost me extra money in decent manifold, wastegate and downpipe and i'm poor. Also i wanted to keep my little R32gtr as stock-looking under the hood as possible but still have some poke :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
T51

I'm running a T51 Kai on at RB30 and the sound is amazing.

Yes laggy but comes on boost at 4k then builds rapidly. Am running 1.4 bar currently going to 1.7 bar when twin Bosch
fuel system is installed.

You won't be disappointed...

regards

pete

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Forget the T51, a 6266 will tick all your boxes and it spools up so fast, that you don't get trounced at the lights by a Golf 1.4 TDI! And, there's no let up in the power delivery.

I came across a few posts elsewhere on the web that did mention T51r's don't have that much lag, but then again i cannot remember roughly at what rpm it comes on.

I don't really know much about the Precision turbos and what makes it even more confusing is that Precision have so many different variations in the model names...6266, 6262, 6766...I wouldn't know what to start off with.

I would essentially like fairly good response and power almost right through the rev range. I would like a turbo capable of about 600-700 at the wheel hp....so no idea if the 6266 can handle it.

Need to find some vids of how the 6266 sounds ;) ;)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts