GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eyes tight shut and fingers in ears, I finally placed the order for the Alcon cermics. Should be here next week and fitted thereafter. These are to replace my Steel BBK rotors and pads.

I will do a full weight comparison and back to back road tests as well as a test at combe to see what they are truly capable of. From one person who already has them, I am looking forward to a significant difference.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Bit of a shame to upgrade the rotors when you are still running the older caliper design.

Personally I'd sell what you have and start from scratch.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to Ben the only real difference is a slight bit of flex, which is not always a bad thing. If its that much of an issue I'll buy the calipers separately.

·
Registered
700 Posts
How do you know if the calipers you have are new design? I believe the calipers for both the steel and ceramics as of today are identical right? I got mine in 2012 so I guess they are the newer design.

H

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
If there's no difference, why did they bother to change them?

Sounds to me like you have an inferior caliper and are trying to avoid the proper upgrade path. It would be a crime to clamp those awesome rotors with sub-par, defunct, obsolete calipers.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
How do you know if the calipers you have are new design? I believe the calipers for both the steel and ceramics as of today are identical right? I got mine in 2012 so I guess they are the newer design.

H
They are identical except for paint finish. They are both more stylish and smoother in design than the older, lesser, more blocky, less aerodynamic versions that Vernon is running.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If there's no difference, why did they bother to change them?

Sounds to me like you have an inferior caliper and are trying to avoid the proper upgrade path. It would be a crime to clamp those awesome rotors with sub-par, defunct, obsolete calipers.

errr... me cut corners... errr no. But when a product guy from Alcon says its not worth upgrading.... why should I? Especially as I prefer the original aesthetics. Aero may be the upgrade reason for me if I could see the advantage. For me its all about function not form on the GTR.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Are there any pics of the older design?
Congrats Vernon, will be interesting to hear your feedback from the track and road driving...

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok just spoke to Iain litchfield and have decided to go for the new 2014 calipers too. So that means my full steel alcon BBK will be up for sale next week. Offers via PM if anyone wants it.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
When you change iron discs for carbon ceramic, please make sure that calipers seals will be changed too. It's very important.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Had a good opportunity to go out last night and get some times and figures with the standard Alcon Steel BBk.

Outside air Temp - 1oC
Weather - Dry for 24 hrs.
Tyres - MPSS 305/275 - 4mm
Suspension - Litchfield 2013 - Normal mode
Fluid - Motul 600
Times with Full Vbox.
ABS - Driver controlled - No ABS coming in.
Surface - New ish Tarmac.

60-0 2.7sec
60-0 94ft

100-0 4.7sec
100-316ft!! (Great figure)

Disc Temps (Laser)
Front 450oc
Rear 375oc
Directly after brake.

Roll on Friday for some carbon Goodness :) - bed in - Repeat!

** NB - If I were able to get the brake point right, with a 2.6-60 Launch, that would be in the top 5 production 0-100-0 cars in the world.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I doubt one brake test will show significant differences.

It would be far better to find a piece of empty road and do 10 stops back to back and measure distance and temps on the last stop.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Look forward to seeing how it goes as brakes are usually my first upgrade and I've had the Alcon Iron Superkit already.

Won't do it yet, but do fancy the Carbon Kit.

For info according to my Vbox my MY11 GT-R on the Alcon Iron kit did 70-0 in 3.2 seconds on a not perfect road.
So pretty much in line with your 60-0 of 2.7.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guy, I've never had any fade from the Alcon BBK road or track, and I'm fairly hard on the brakes.

Richard, Im with you on this one. Brakes always first upgrade, £ for £ its the cheapest way to gain seconds from a lap time. I'm super excited to get these on and try. I'm looking forward to the unspring weight difference (if any) as well as the fearsome stopping power.

I shall report back in greater detail. I do have some other stops from the Steel BBK which I will share next week.

V

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Will you be weighing the parts coming off and going on each corner for a complete comparison of weight savings?

1 - 20 of 150 Posts