GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Aphid Project

Hi all, this is a project I started around November 2007 after my original engine died. My aim was to get as the car to produce a modest 350bhp and use it as an everyday car with occasional track use. I wasn’t really in a hurry so I had plenty of time to source parts and do my research (and save some money). Because the original engine failed due to a failed oil pump and overheating. I may have gone slightly overboard on the cooling this time lol

As I'm not a mechanic, (in an I.T guy) the way I’ve done things may not have been the best way but it seemed to work for me.

Original Engine Specifications:
  • Neo Straight 6 RB25DET
  • Helix Organic Clutch
  • Uridium Plugs
  • HKS Induction Air Filter
  • Red Top 25 Racing Battery
  • Sun Hyper Vaultage System (Vaultage Stablizer)
  • HKS Heavy Duty Timing Belt
  • Exhaust:
  • Custum Exsaust De-Cated 4"
  • Brakes:
  • EBC Red Stuff Pads
  • EBC Dimpled & Gooved disks front and Rear
  • Suspension, wheels & tires:
  • Tein Suspention
  • Milliga 1000 Wheels
  • Front 235/35/19"
  • Rear 275/30/19"
  • Interior:
  • Carbon Fibre centre console
  • Turbo timer

Exterior:

Standard

Shopping list:

• Rebuilt RB25 block and head by Rising Sun Performance (without cam covers)
  • Greddy Profec B Spec 2 Boost Controller
  • Greddy FPR
  • Rebuilt Turbo with steel internals
  • Front mount Intercooler
  • Oil Cooler
  • N1 oil pump
  • Helix Clutch
  • Genuine Nissan Tension & idler Pulleys
  • New Blue Print Timing Belt
  • Pitwork oil filter
  • Nismo water temp sensor
  • Greddy Radiator cap
  • Defi Boost gauge
  • Defi Water gauge
  • Defi Control Unit II Ver.2.0
  • Impaul Front bumper
  • Nismo gear knob
  • White Dasbord LEDs
  • Rocker cover caskets
  • Half moon gaskets
  • Water pump gasket
  • Chrome spark plug cover

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
good luck with the build ...by the way i wondered with you being into I.T ...i would have thought you would know how to spell check ...:D.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The original plan was to strip my old block and rebuild it with stronger parts. but after looking into it it seemed easier to just buy an engine that had already been rebuilt. thats why i have these engine gaskets.

intercooler, gaskets, Nismo water temp sensor Greddy FPR Pitwork Oil Filter & Greddy Radiator cap

Exedy clutch

N1 Water Pump

Nismo FPR

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
The Aphid Project
Heya mate.
Long time no see. Hope you and the other half are well. Spec sounds good. Looks like an interesting project:thumbsup:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good luck with the build ...by the way i wondered with you being into I.T ...i would have thought you would know how to spell check ...:D.....:thumbsup:
Hey, the build is almost complete, I just never had the time to put this thread together. Im just doing it now as we speak:D

P.S cheeky bugger LOL:p

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Paul! has been a while hasnt it :) I guess you can see now why i havent been to any meets in the past year or so but both Naomi and I promice to be back very soon :thumbsup:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I cleaned up the rocker covers as best i could:nervous: The engine was already in bits and I just thought "Why the hell not eh?"

Mocked up on my old engine head:clap:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With a little help from my uncle, we removed the block.

Quick pics of the engine bay without the engine

New engine all mocked up at my house

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
At this point of my build, the garage that was supposed to install my new engine were having problems and had to find new premises. They were taking soooooo long I decided to take my car to another garage closer to home in Luton. Chris Edwards Motors were fantastic and completed my build in 5 months. We did have one or two problems along the way, one was with the CAS. I didn't realise that the cams i bought were from a GTR R33 and not an R34 so the CAS was different. After a lot of fiddling and swearing we worked out there were 2 types of CAS and if your going from an R34 CAS to a R33 CAS its good to remember the plug is reversed and the negative pin is on the other side

Im posting these diagrams of the CAM angle sensor in case there of any use to anyone :)

The exhaust cams for the R33 & R34

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pics of the engine in the car & intercooler installed

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
looking good mate. Looks like you have worked really hard there.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got a phone call from Chris Edwards Motors this afternoon to say my car was now working so i couldnt resist going down and taking a few quick pics:p

Before

After

all i need now is Tax, MOT and Insurance then it will be road worthy.

The boost controller, oil cooler and Defi gauges haven't been installed yet but they are next in the list along with a set of East Bear side skirts:chuckle:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
looking good mate. Looks like you have worked really hard there.
Cheers Paul. A lot of thought (and money) went into this build the engine sounds great but there's a problem with the power steering. it makes a hell of a noise every time you turn the wheel kind of like theres no fluid in it. but ive checked it and theres plenty of fluid in there:confused:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
would it not have been easier to have removed the engine with the turbo still fitted to it
Yes your right, it would have been. We just thought it would be more of a challenge to do it this way lol

I cant remember why we did it that way round but if I ever have to do it again, the turbo will be coming out with the engine;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts