GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see many threads asking what does it cost to run a skyline ... well for whatever reason I've been getting my paperwork up to date and have figured out what my R32 GTR has cost to maintain and upgrade in the last 18 months.

so for those who wonder .... here you go ...

In 18 months I've travelled 5454 miles.
I have spent 3862.45 fine english pounds on servicing and stage 1 parts.
I spent about 120 a month on petrol which equals 2160 pounds.

So for 5454 miles I have spent the grand total of 6022.45.

So for me my skyline has cost 1.10 for every mile i've travelled.

All I've bought over this time is a HKS silent exhaust, Apexi downpipes a decat, apexi induction and a new Exedy clutch. Hence why I recommend strongly getting a Stage 1 car.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
That's quite interesting Ben. I've had mine coming up for a year now and will work my running costs out then. I have a feeling it may be slightly less which would underline your point. As a related comment, my fuel economy is better since changing the turbos over to steel internals and the subsequent boost rise. Maybe as the torque/boost arrives earlier I'm not having to drive it as hard? Managed 320 miles exactly on the last tank (admittedly a lot of that was motorway mileage)
On my calculations so far including petrol, servicing, tuning/modifications etc around 66p per mile. It excludes insurance and tax.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn I didn't even factor in insurance .. add insurance to the pot and that's another 1100 for the 18 months.

Within the total figure there have been the odd things i've needed to fix i.e. better plugs due to hesistation and two new upper suspension arms.

So including insurance - my skyline has cost 7122.45 to own for 18 months. 1.35 a mile.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Including insurance mine works out at 75p. You need to do more miles mate :) It may help to bring the bills down but it will definitely help you justify the costs.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I dare not do the calculations.

I have a diesal van and i check every mile i do, i hate filling it up and really begrudge putting £40 of fuel in it.

The Skyline £60+ when required plus parts etc. no problem, thats pure pleasure,

You know what they say.... if you have to ask you can not afford it.

All i know is that it costs a considerable amount more than the girlfriend thinks it does and i am happy for it to stay like that

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Last year my GTR had cost £5.16 a mile. It's probably gone up by now.

Shocking really..

But worth every ££££

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I'm not ever ever going to do this calculation :runaway:

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
My Bros Montego TD cost him 8p a mile for 150,000miles.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
And the same here. Mine would utterly terrify me :eek:

Really interesting thread though Ben. How much of the upgrade sum was necessary versus tuning mods?

·
Registered
910 Posts
one thing though, you say you spent 120 a month on fuel, covering 5454 miles in 18 months, so thats waht, 300 miles a month, for £120? is something not wrong with your car to be getting such poor fuel economy?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I would have said I get about 150 miles from a £60 full tank as an average in mine, obviously more if i am careful and significantly less if playing.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I never use it - and when I do it's for a long journey's ... I get about 300 KM's to a tank, saying that i've blown 20 just driving to cromer and back and a quick country burn. The 120 a month is the most I spend - I'd say it was more realistic to say I do 1 tank a month @ 60. But then in the last two months I've been to abbey twice and that has cost 240 in fuel for the round trip. There is definitely nothing wrong with the car, litterally had it completely checked out by abbey and it got a 100% pass mark.

Nick to your question - most of it was getting to stage 1 from standard, but then broke the twin plate at Sculthorpe so had to fit a new clutch. And then there is servicing, in the 5000 miles i've serviced it 3 times and one of those was a complete service.

Actually probably most of the cost was TAX !!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And saying all that i have been contemplating whether or not I need it ... the car that is ... then something simple happens and you think - hell yeh. Last night driving back from cromer heard this faint voice .. "skyline, skyline, skyline" .. me and jo were looking around ... saw this 406 with a kid of about 10 leaning out of the window ... at the traffic lights .. I waved .. then it was "do a wheelspin, do a wheelspin" ... ah bless ....

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I put £50 in my 33 GTR to do a 200 mile round trip still had just under 1/4 of a left when I got back. That included several bouts of silliness along the way:eek:

I simply don't care that I have to use twice the fuel to do half the miles compared to my diesel daily runabout. :clap: God bless the old girl

1 - 16 of 16 Posts