GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you all start raving at the idea that turbo lag and slow launch has been solved, remember this may be a little more difficult to acheive for your average GTR:)

Nic Mann has developed a car for hill racing that has a1700cc Cosworth engine with a single turbo. The turbo spins flat out all the time, regardless of the engine revs!

The turbo has an "air bypass" which has an additional conmbustion chamber (actually it was a turbine starter for a helicopter):eek: . The turbo keeps running at full boost even if the engine is only idling.

You get a large turbo and use a separate combustion chamber to keep the turbo spinning flat out. As soon as you need power you open the gate between the turbo and the engine and have instant power. Simple! Just one thing - to get it going you will need a compressed air cylinder to spin the turbo up.:)

So then, who's gonna fit a "Fired Turbo" to their car?:D

John

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just one other thing.

On his test car he did 64 feet (appararently that's some recognised distance in sprints) in 1.6 seconds. :eek:
That's quicker than a 3 litre Formula 1 car!:smokin:

·
Registered
132 Posts
When I was a spotty little git reading Street Machine in my early teens, wasnt he the guy that ran that twin turbo Rover V8 in a Morris Minor??? Ran mid tens on slicks at several shoorouts at the Pod I recall. Certainly a guy that knows his stuff - I mean home grown twin turbos back in 1978!!!!

Andy

·
Registered
9 Posts
If i'm not mistaken, this is the same setup used in WRC cars.
There are a number of serious disadvantages for a road car (trying to remeber here...) : It's LOUD, it burns up a lot of fuel (continuously) and if you think a big twin turbo has dirty emissions, wait till you see this :)

I read somewhere that this was developed as an alternative to lancia's old group b Turbo-and-Super charged method to eliminate lag, simpler and less chance of mechanical failure during a race.

Oh, and eats turbos :) this is not a problem in racing since you can swap turbos frequently, but in day-to-day running...

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's the same way the wrc (world rally championship), and other proffesional rally cars operate. The turbo is always at full boost. But with the Apex'i power fc (or something, im not 100% sure if it is this) you can tune the turbos to run at certain boost pressures for certain speeds e.g 1 bar- 60km/h, 1.5 bar- 130 km/h, 2 bar- 200+... u get the idea..........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts