• Not voting

Votes: 14 6.6%

• Total voters
201 - 220 of 688 Posts

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
Remain = nothing changes and are we happy with the status quo
Leave = Things will change, maybe for good, maybe for bad but at least we will be the masters of our own destiny. There is no way of really knowing until we do it.
Mook, I fundamentally disagree with this.

It's not remain = status quo.

They are heading for the USE, we have made it clear we are out of ever closer union. Remain means definite internal struggles with the EU and probably bail outs we will have to contribute to when italy and greece (again) default.

Best description I heard was on the radio yesterday.

Both choices are incredibly risky and full of doubt. No one can predict the future with absolute confidence. Given the dangers on both sides I would rather we had our own control to deal with whatever lies ahead.

·
Administrator
31,485 Posts
Mook, I fundamentally disagree with this.

It's not remain = status quo.

They are heading for the USE, we have made it clear we are out of ever closer union. Remain means definite internal struggles with the EU and probably bail outs we will have to contribute to when italy and greece (again) default.

Best description I heard was on the radio yesterday.

Both choices are incredibly risky and full of doubt. No one can predict the future with absolute confidence. Given the dangers on both sides I would rather we had our own control to deal with whatever lies ahead.
Well that just further reinforces my view to leave lol

·
Registered
567 Posts
I voted at 8 this morning before work and there were plenty of people waling up with there polling cards which was nice to see!. They said it was already much busier than the General Election which says something!.

·
Registered
696 Posts
6-1 odds for the leave result, surely it can't be that long? Do you think the odds are the result of 'leave' voters placing a 'disappointment hedge' on with the bookies, and so the odds reflecting this one-way betting stream, or it just really is that clear cut?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
6-1 odds for the leave result, surely it can't be that long? Do you think the odds are the result of 'leave' voters placing a 'disappointment hedge' on with the bookies, and so the odds reflecting this one-way betting stream, or it just really is that clear cut?
I had £12.35 in my PaddyPower account, so I threw that one at 6's :D

·
Ooo Matron !
2,104 Posts
Bookmakers set their odds according to the total amount staked.

So if 1 person stakes £10 on remain and 10 people stake £1 on leave, they will set the odds at evens for each (leaving aside that they always over-round their book).

From what I've read, a lot more money has been staked on remain but a lot more people have bet on leave with smaller amounts.

The odds on WH went out to 7.0, but are now 5.5.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Bookmakers set their odds according to the total amount staked.

So if 1 person stakes £10 on remain and 10 people stake £1 on leave, they will set the odds at evens for each (leaving aside that they always over-round their book).

From what I've read, a lot more money has been staked on remain but a lot more people have bet on leave with smaller amounts.

The odds on WH went out to 7.0, but are now 5.5.
Wouldn't put it past either camp to be using wealthy supporters to skew the betting odds. That said, we'll know when we see how close it is and which way it goes.
Unless remain have got a 5+point winning margin then I'd say the odds are manipulated.

That said, I can see remain getting a 5+ point lead. Think Jo Cox's brutal murder stopping the campaign meant leave lost their momentum.

Either way, it's all done now - I'm convinced the EU won't survive whatever happens due to the weight of it's own issues.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,104 Posts
I've just looked up what Hills were offering for a Tory win at the GE last year : 5/1

But oddly, all I ever read on the internet is how the bookies are never wrong.

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
I was trying to look that up too but failed - thanks.

I was feeling negative given the expectation of the bookies, then also stumbled on the fact that it not one bet one vote but one pound one vote.

That makes me totally disregard the idea of following the money. The number of leave voters even at the bookies suggests it's worth fighting for. Despite my belief that we should leave and the straw poll amongst radio callers and friends, not to mention the poll on here, suggesting a leave landslide, I had resigned myself to it being a remain victory.

I'm now at least cautiously hopeful.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Remain seems ahaead
Remain may have got it, but given no exit poll I've no idea how anyone has the faintest idea. Surely the last poll today of 48/52 is still well within the margin of error.

Turnout seems high, maybe they've run data on turnout and higher makes remain clearer for any given poll.

201 - 220 of 688 Posts