GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of selling my r33 gtr mainly because it keeps being the victim of jealous assault being keyed and badges stolen.But a fellow owner suggested keeping it as a project car and running an inferior run around,anyway was wondering how many other owners do this and what is the best way to achieve greatest results on the strip and track.Car currently runs 13.108 secs at 106 mph on strip and never got round to track racing.All comments appreciated.:) :)

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
Its a shame when jealous/malicious folks take to destroying your stuff. Luckily I dont have that problem where I am and car sits outside 24/7.
In answer to your question, I too am interested in taking my car on track however In my case its sprinting i'm looking at.
As far as mods for track go, the concensus of opinion seems to be:-
  • Sump Extension
  • Sump baffle
  • Bigger (or rather, more effective) brakes
  • A bit of lightening of the car
  • A roll cage (if regs insist on one)
I think the biggest issue with Skylines on track is lubrication at high lateral G's hence the sump mods. An Accusump may also offer added protection. as for other mods i.e engine, suspension etc, I suppose its up to you and how much your willing to spend on power/handling etc
One bit of advice though..if your competing in your car, study any class regulations very carefully as you dont want to spend money on things if theyre not permitted modifications.
As far as competing on the strip, I know very little. Might be worth PMing the likes of Andy Barnes/Tim Webster/Mick Begley etc

Good luck, whichever way you go and dont let the jealous little bast*rds get you down.

TT

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Andy, sorry to hear about the local riff-raff. It's a shame when people have to behave like that with no care or consideration for others. I know other people on here hire garages and store it away which may help as one solution iof you can find somewhere local.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Dont let others have their way and spoil your fun mate.

I rent my parents garage (lol) but at least it keeps it safe when its not in use, its also an A to A car so it doesn't get left in public places where is prone to damage or vandalism.

You can pick up a reliable runabout for less than £1K now, my brother was given a fiat uno and no matter how uncaring you drive it it wont die hehe.

- Kevin.

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
I have a runaround for work and take the car out on the weekends.
Will be going on track this year but leaning more to trackdays for a bit of fun in a safe[r] environment.
My car is running stage 1 and 1.2bar. 1.2 is a big difference.
Not really interested in quarters so car will not be going on a diet.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Hi Andy, don`t let the b......s grind you down.
I have a very inferior run about car and its great as its cheap and doesn`t cause me any grief.
Like Tarmac Terror i to keep my GTR outside all year long (next to a boys school) and never had any trouble in 4 years.
Fortunately you dont need to spend to much money to have your car ready for the track,but a few things are required. Oilcooler, braided brake lines and uprated brake pads are a must. If you want to use semi slick tyres then you will need a sump extension or baffle plates. Your ok if you use normal road tyres.
Then i would recommend having a few high speed driving lessons so that you can really understand how your car handles at speed.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Runaround - VW Golf Diesel (yawn), a bit like Cem's new one I guess!!!!
Better runaround - Stage 1 R32 (yes, I know I've supposed to have been selling it... Just don't tell the wife)
Rocketship - R33 Garage Bomber on time share with GTaRt

Biggest issue with VW - brings a whole new meaning to tedious
issue with R32 - had rear "GTR" number plate nicked off car in Tesco car park just before Christmas, damned inconvenient, oh, and whilst seriously more user friendly in comparison to R33, it also feels slow! (but sounds great!)
issue with R33 - fuel, time spent in Tuning shop, fuel, time spent in tuning shop, fuel, running 650+BHP on the road, (don't even think about running race spec), fuel, time spent in tuning shop, fuel, maintenance bills, fuel, grief from wife, fuel, grin factor (well that's not an issue!). Did I mention fuel?

Andy, just find yourself a local lock-up to rent, or start on a big tuning project, that way you can store it mainly at the tuning shop! ;)

DaveG

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'd say - sell the R33 and buy an R32GTR and with the money left over you've got plenty of mods can be done.

Butuz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts