GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently got a job that allows me to buy a GTR finally...

Its just the best way for me to buy one is to import, which is kinda scary, I like to test drive cars first.

I'm going for the good ol' R32 GTR.

Just wondering what I should look out for in terms of visable wear and tear under the hood as all i have to go by is pictures.

I live in Western Australia, so theres sweet f all over here and if there is its a good 8000 bux more than it is to import one.

One notable thing I have gathered is to look at the plenum and exhaust manifold for paint chipping away as its a sign of extreme use from high temperatures.

Also I hear the drive train and gear box are almost indestructible so I guess its just the engine I have to worry about.

Anything else you could think of would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Standard brake discs on the R32 GTR can fail with wear and tear! Which is not useful.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Standard brake discs on the R32 GTR can fail with wear and tear! Which is not useful.
You`ve been watching that stupid Top Gear video. If you havent then its a fairly pointless post, as general servicing will tell you to replace worn disc before they wear out anyway.

Looking at a Photograph is going to tell you absolutely nothing about a car.
The best thing you can do if you have to import if find a reputable importer to do the work for you.
At the end of the day the GTR is just a car and bits will break if they are worn or have been abused.
The gearbox is not indistructable, its safe for cars upto about 550bhp. But the syncro mesh especially on 4th and 5th gear is the weak link.
Also if you buy a car from Japan you will not be able to confirm any service history unless you can read it yourself.
Good luck with your search for a car and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Top gear video?

Anyway, i was just stating that that could happen, Very unlikely But it could happen.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
This is going to be a very long thread if we identify everything "that could happen, but is very unlikely to".

·
Registered
854 Posts
????????????????????????

standard brakes or uprated brakes of any kind will fail with wear and tear on any car
change them before it happens

hodgies right though, if you cant look at it yourself then get in touch with someone reputable who can. i looked at a few that were advertised as excellent condition and looked excellent in photos. one of them was a complete dog and i drove 260 odd miles to look at it.

good luck with the search

kev

·
Banned
146 Posts
I saw that Top Gear show when they test drove the Bayside GTR. The guy comented that brake disks explode on the 32 models. Mine wore out but never exploded lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Mmm brakes are the least of my worries, its mainly engine mechanical I'm worried about, the rest from what I've heard is pretty durable, so if I look for a 1992-1994 with fairly low k's I should be okay in terms of drivetrain, gearbox and discs.

I'm looking for a completely standard GTR, I'm a young man of 21 years of age who owns a HR31 Coupe with an RB20DE its not like I need more than 300hp when I'll be jumping from 150hp to 300hp haha.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Unfortunately you arein a position where you have to put your money down first and hope for the best.
The weak point with the syncro mesh is that they can easily be worn out with people trying to change gear to quickly (Drag Racing).
As for the rest of it being very durable, well that all depends on how its been looked after by previous owners.

·
Registered
25,971 Posts
Mmm brakes are the least of my worries, its mainly engine mechanical I'm worried about, the rest from what I've heard is pretty durable, so if I look for a 1992-1994 with fairly low k's I should be okay in terms of drivetrain, gearbox and discs.

I'm looking for a completely standard GTR, I'm a young man of 21 years of age who owns a HR31 Coupe with an RB20DE its not like I need more than 300hp when I'll be jumping from 150hp to 300hp haha.
contact Miguel from NEWERA IMPORTS

he can obtain a great 32 gtr for you and import it to oz with no hassle :smokin:

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
contact Miguel from NEWERA IMPORTS

he can obtain a great 32 gtr for you and import it to oz with no hassle :smokin:
i second that.

if you havent driven a skyline yet, try and look on the aussie skyline forum and ask if you could do a test drive.

then contact miguel as he only imports the most awesome machines in the world!

You`ve been watching that stupid Top Gear video.
pmsl i thought that right away! :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
i second that.

if you havent driven a skyline yet, try and look on the aussie skyline forum and ask if you could do a test drive.

then contact miguel as he only imports the most awesome machines in the world!

pmsl i thought that right away! :D :D :D :D
Third thumbs up for Miguel, he sourced my mint Subaru STI Type R. Very professional through the whole transaction

1 - 12 of 12 Posts