GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

As you’ve probably figured out by now, I recently have taken over the administration of this board. Keeping it a secret was not my intention, but as I’ve said to many over the past few weeks, I never tell anyone I’ve bought a car until I have the keys in my hand. Never tempt fate!

There are still one or two very minor issues that Joss and I need to discuss, but before I start getting all emotional and shedding tears everywhere, I would like to thank Joss for not only giving me the opportunity to continue the success of this BBS, but to also thank him especially for having the foresight and enthusiasm to start the community up in the beginning. Considering his responsibilities outside of the Skyline world, it was a small miracle he had any time at all to dedicate to the GTR Register.

Basically, Joss is responsible for making this what it is and I’m sure we’ll look forward to his continued support after the transition.

I am sure a lot of you are curious as to what my plans are for the BBS. Some of you may know of my existing enthusiasm with online e-zines and communities. I have had plenty of experience moderating forums, but most importantly, www.blowdog.com is a site I have spent many an hour on. Partly because I enjoy the documented archives and media, but also because I know many people enjoy reading it. I hope to be able to transfer not only the man-hours, but also most of the media that I host on it, at least that which is Skyline related.

You may be interested to know also that I am currently in the middle of redesigning www.gtr.co.uk and I hope you will like the end result. I am certainly ambitious and excited about the new community I aim to spearhead, with Skyline related news and coverage of contemporary Skyline events, it should be the ultimate one-stop place for all things Skyline. Stay tuned for developments on this, although I would be coming up with designs and concepts, I hope to get feedback from the users but rest assured, it will open a whole new process for archiving events and news.

The BBS is the main section of this site. Although it isn’t massive by any means, it does have a dedicated user base. It is unfortunate, however, that many of the experts both in the UK and Oz no longer use the forums. I hope to attract these people back to the board, as I believe the Australians have a wealth of experience and I am sure we can learn lots from them. In the meantime, this is going to increase traffic on this site and from some comments made, not many of you are keen to see an increase in the moron-posts that dilute the purity of great BBS’ such as this one.

To combat this problem, I shall be introducing two moderators to the site who I feel are more than suitable for the task. Guy and Glen have been active for many years on this BBS and the previous one so not only do they bring with them the experience in Skylines that we value, but also the maturity and responsibility required to maintain a balance between healthy discussion and moral stance. It is a shame we all own Blue R34’s, I hope nobody will feel that we are creating an elitist club, but you will all agree that when it comes to organising events, Glen has been (in my honest opinion) the single most powerful crusader of the Skyline in the UK, with a pro-active approach in all major car events of the year and also organising other local meetings. This is a fact, if it wasn’t for Glens R34 at Castle Combe last year, I would now be driving a next generation M3. Perish the thought. As for Guy, his recent exploits on the German autobahn demonstrate his zest for new frontiers Skyline related, owning possibly the most powerful R34 in the UK providing us with valuable experience. They have also proved over the years to be unbiased, despite their loyalties to certain tuners.

I now have a vested interest in this site. Not only does it cost me money, but I also intend to put considerable time into it. I do not expect to make money from it, but I do intend to recoup any expenses that I incur. To this effect, I will be implementing banner adverts on the BBS and perhaps the main GTR site also. I have already had lot’s of support from potential sponsors and with the many fantastic contacts we have, I hope to develop the community I envisage. Because I have a vested interest in the board, I need to maintain a solid income. Although this doesn’t necessarily mean I am running a business here, it does mean that money will become an important factor. I need to make this clear from the beginning and I don’t want people to assume I am running this under false pretences. I do, after all, intend to always keep this a free site for the users.

Please remember, also, that I still have a full time business to run. Although I am on the BBS all day every day, some things may not get actioned until the evenings.

Meanwhile, it’s business as usual. I would be very interested to hear of your comments or suggestions.

Have fun all.

Cem

·
Registered
549 Posts
GTR Register

Although not owning a skyline yet this site has given me confidence to know that when the time comes and i take up ownership of one that there is an invaluable source of information and knowledge to which i can refer to. A year ago i would not have even considered buying an imported car for fear of not knowing where to turn should something go wrong.

The people who use this site are possible the most helpful out of any i've known, and have given me a few good laughs as well. long may it continue that way.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Congratulations.

Hi Cem,

I'm really glad to hear that you are new administrator for gtr.co.uk.
As I told you a few days ago on the street just in front of your flat, I will help you as much as I can.

Yours,
Shin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great news Cem, and Congrats.

With regard to "morons" posting, I do not think anyone wants to see the situation that occurred with Dino on the Aussie board, so lets make sure we keep that away from this site.

Colin.

·
Registered
961 Posts
the site couldnt have gone to a better person !

hope you mean banners not pop ups !
..........i hate pop ups !

keep up the good work !

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Will owners of other cars still be welcome or will you close it to 'outsiders'?

I like the people here and it is one of the few places where egos don't smear the content, I'd be gutted if it goes down that road.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Cem,

Congrats! With the quality and success of blowdog.com I'm sure you are the perfect man for the job!

Keep up the great work!

(and as someone has already said....please no pop-ups!!)

:)

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Look forward to seeing how the site develops. First improvement.....site does not go down at the end of the month! As for banter, we would be a bit boring if all of the posts were skyline related. Would be good to keep general 'banter' chit chat apart from general 'skyline' chit chat. Should be no problems with 'moron' postings as we have more moderators now.
Dave

·
Banned
349 Posts
GREAT NEWS

Looking back a moment I would like to say a big thank you to Joss Ellis for all his hard work and commitment to date - Joss - Well done:)

Looking forward I'm sure we are all aware that the only guarantee in life is that it will change. I welcome Cem as our new Prime Minister! With Guy and Glen in the war cabinate as well!

I'm sure they will all do a great job especially in controlling some of the tedious "Moron" stuff that has kept alot of genuine enthusiasts away from the board of late. I also support the idea of attracting back the Mario's of this world as it will make the BBS a better place.

So with BD GH and Guy at the wheel I'm sure we'll see some great events coming soon..........

Looking forward to it guys and you have my full support.

Jamie Martin.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Me to, a big thanks to joss for taking it this far and good luck to Cem for the future.

If you need any help just give me a shout, I have got to use this million pound equipment in front of me 24/7 for something. :D

...Ian

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Any excuse for a beer.

Great news Cem!

In light of the recent announcement I think its a great oppertunity for us all, well as many as possible, to get together and put forward any ideas we may have and listen to what Cem has planned.

What do you say?

Howsie

PS. Oh yeah, and have a beer!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Joss, thanks for the formidable work you have done. I can still remember the early days of this site, without forum (can you believe it ?).

To CEM: keep up the good work and keep developing the site; do not fear innovation and making mistakes. That's what is called progress !;)

To Glen and Guy: good luck to you !:D

André. (no, I'm NOT French).:smokin:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Good luck Cem, I am sure you will steer this great resource in the right direction............with no pop-ups:D

·
Registered
312 Posts
JOSS

I have been here nearly a year myself now and how found this board very easy to use and very informative, and i would just like to add my praise to JOSS for all his hard work etc on the board, and my best wishes to for Glen & Guy for the way forward!;)

I also look forward with interest at Cem's ideas/concepts for the board!!

I hope the board continues to go from strength to strength!

Cheers

Stu

1 - 20 of 85 Posts