GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought about it, and couldn't not think of any really good reason why they ought to be there. So I removed them, from both ends. The mesh is attached to a metal ring. With a penknife and a wee bit of persuasion you can get the ring unseated out of the land and remove it. I then carefully cleaned up the whole bit and then assembled the intake after repainting the AFMs in matte black, taking pains to keep the sensors away from debris:

As I don't always do the smartest thing, this is where I'd like someone, if there is indeed some use for those mesh covers on either end, to chime in and tell me I've ruined two Z32 AFMs....

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think I'm ok - there's mesh on that example Holden MAF, but it's quite fine, unlike the coarse screen door mesh that Nissan has fitted, plus it's only on one end, versus both on the Nissan units. Looking at the wadded up wire, I'd say I removed a good 4 cm2 of blockage from the pair of AFMs, maybe a bit more.

Just need to make sure no nuts or bolts fall in while installing the intakes...and smoothing out airflow definitely makes for better readings, but there's no way two sides of widely spaced simple wire mesh are going to provide the venturi effects and "flow conditioning" mentioned in that patent!!

btw, if you see the above pic, how the hell am I going to get this kit into my car???:D

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I may be well off the mark here but the mesh may just be there to stop dirty fingers from touching the important bits.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I removed the mesh on the AFM on a previous car and suffered problems with stalling when coming to a stop and it seemed to effect the fuelling, it just didn't run right. It ran perfectly when the mesh was fitted again.

The mesh is not there for just mechanical protection. As ExScoobyT says above.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Surely on a turbo'd motor the smoothness of airflow before the turbo is irrelevant?
the afms needs to let the ecu how much fuel needs to be injected, hence the reason for smooth air flow requirements nothing to do with the turbo really.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yeah, sorry. I was just coming back to edit my post. I was referring to the earlier suggestion that removing the mesh could help the airflow.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Sorry to drag up an old post, but I was just wondering how the car ran without the mesh on the Z32's? Did you end up putting the mesh back on?

·
Registered
715 Posts
If its mapped with the mesh removed then it should not create a problem, but if you change it after mapping then I should think that problems may occur.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
given the air is being sucked through an airfilter prior to going through the mesh, I can't imagine that much "airflow smoothing" occurs with a bit of mesh..... I'd be more concerned about the shape and type of filter!

I think the mesh is there primarily to stop small animals, nuts and bolts that get sucked up by the RB from being thrown into the turbo inlet!!

Now, just wait for someone to disagree! :popcorn:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nope, no problems, my car has run just fine without the mesh.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts