GTR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this article has some hold to it, the R36 will have one conventional engine with two turbos and an electric one:
Breaking News: Next-generation Nissan GT-R will go hybrid

Hybrid is in the wind for sure, the all electric Nissan Leaf is around the corner, but batteries and electric motors are not light components. With the legacy learned from the R35 - weight doesn't matter that much - it might not hurt the car performance, but will the R36 weight in on ca 2 tonns and still be superior?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeh batteries and electric motors may well be heavy but I heard that the R36 may have some type of elctric front wheel drive and an conventional rear wheel drive which would reduce weight significantly.

·
Registered
172 Posts
There is a definite anomoloy between the GT-R and the green bandwagion that Carlos Goshn is currently parading around as the future marketing direction for Nissan. I think the GT-R would have to fit in behind that marketing philsophy. As a consequence of this I can see some credence in this story.

Although the GT-R's principal marketing target, beating the 911TT, and its here that the story looses credence. Porsche have only just released a diesel, they have yet to release a hybrid, it a long time before a hybrid appears in the 911TT. I dont think the GT-R can match the 911TT at 2tonnes round the Ring.

So do Nissan change the GT-R's target market with a powerful GT-R hybrid, I doubt it. Do they sacrifice the GT-R altogether to maintain a coherent marketing direction across the brand, I hope not. Do they just ignore it and produce hybrids and electric vehicles in the other models, this weakens the green marketing. Or do you produce an R36 hybrid and non-hybrid - sort of what Audi have just done with the R8? (I know the Audi is a full hybrid).

At the end of writing this, I asked myself, would I buy a 600bhp R36 hybrid? Think this is time to create my first survey.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Yeh batteries and electric motors may well be heavy but I heard that the R36 may have some type of elctric front wheel drive and an conventional rear wheel drive which would reduce weight significantly.
Big batteries wouldn't necessarily be the order of the day, just upgraded alternator(s), so weight should actually come down compared to the 35... remembering traditional hybrid cars are electric with petrol as a 'boost', the GTR would actually work in the opposite way, hence not needing big battery bank.

Electric front drive would also allow better center of gravity, better weight distribution, and possibly more steering lock which is usually limited by a traditional awd layout.

It would also take the load off the gearbox in a big way.

Going hybrid isn't necessarily a bad thing.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
if the R36 gets even heavier then the R35....i get myself a GT3 or buy a house;)

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Big batteries wouldn't necessarily be the order of the day, just upgraded alternator(s), so weight should actually come down compared to the 35... remembering traditional hybrid cars are electric with petrol as a 'boost', the GTR would actually work in the opposite way, hence not needing big battery bank.

Electric front drive would also allow better center of gravity, better weight distribution, and possibly more steering lock which is usually limited by a traditional awd layout.

It would also take the load off the gearbox in a big way.

Going hybrid isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Assuming that the R36 will be a "traditional" hybrid, but I favour the notion that it could be more of a KERS car, giving a 160hp boost when required?
:)

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I really hope it looks like the picture

I don't have any problems with the concept of a hybrid, look at the QED Hi-Pa drive Mini, using lithium-Ion Nano Titanate batteries, the performance/acceleration characteristics electric motors can give is electrifying ;) - Not to mention undoubted gains in fuel efficiency as a result.

That picture makes the R35 look instantly dated!

Good luck Nissan!

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
I remember a conversation with Tamura-san about four years ago talking about this. His original comment was that for AWD cars there is a lot of power loss due to the transmission for the front wheels and perhaps the way to go would be to have electric engines. In that respect it will be a totally different approach to the Pruis' (or is that Priui? :D) of this world in the reasoning behind it and if designed properly should make very it interesting indeed

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
If the performance is best in class as is the case with the R35 then its going to be on everyones list once again, but I question the point. If the gasoline engine is still punching out 440bhp then its going to be as thirsty as hell anyway, and the carbon (cost = carbon) generated by developing the hyrbid drive and adding it to the car will be significant. Will this cost ever be recovered during the life of the car in fuel savings? Especially when you factor in the extra cost of maintaiing the hybird drive.

imho Hybrids are a waste of resources, the carbon needed to research and manufacture them is significant and you still end up with something that needs a petrol engine. Its my understanding that Japan is pushing hard for a hydrogen infrastructure. that will be interesting to watch. Right now it looks like you have 2 options for low carbon cars, go hydrogen or go electric and invest in a nuclear rich electricity supply. Even if you go for hydrogen your going to need nuclear power to convert sea water into H.

I do see a future in recovering energy under braking though, convert it to electric and send it to the battery, run a smart alternator that can declutch from the engine and you dont have a 24-7 drag on the engine for its electrical needs. It would be cheap and give relatively good increases to mpg for the cost of implementing it (aren't BMW already using this on some models?)

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
done from a performance mindset, hybrid can mean enhanced acceleration - serious amounts of torque from 0rpm on up, the car won't lag much as it'll be pulling hard and the turbos spooling more quickly.

·
6,821 Posts
That`s all speculation crap from the infamous japanese magazine Best Car.
That`s a photoshop based on the new Nissan concept car Essence. The new 2010 Nissan Fuga (Infiniti M) gets similar lines as well. . . . . until the R36 will hit any design board the essence lines will be old coffee.

What is mentioned never less is that there are speculations about building a baby GTR . . . less powerfull, less heavy, less expensive . . .

By the way the picture above is a direct scan from the Best Car magazine and was photoshoped in to that nice background to let it look design board, even if it is actually nothing more then wannabe press amateur peeps scanning things out of japanese magazines and photoshoping the magazine text out , to let it look like an internet sensation . . duhh:p

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts

Aint digging that.

looks like a Hyundai coupe

·
6,821 Posts
plus battery cars are taking a lot criticism recently from the green brigade. might just happen that we end up sticking with combustion engines but with cleaner fuels..
Agree, once the green league discovers that producing a hybrid car does more carbon emssions and dirt to the enviroment then building a normal combustion car, the Prius factories will have to :
a) close
b) overhaul their factories, which will ruin the hybrid evolution as money gets tossed away.

Here is the one and only Nissan super car, the essence . . .. they should build it like that and smash the VQ38 inside . .FGS

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Agree, once the green league discovers that producing a hybrid car does more carbon emssions and dirt to the enviroment then building a normal combustion car, the Prius factories will have to :
a) close
b) overhaul their factories, which will ruin the hybrid evolution as money gets tossed away.

Here is the one and only Nissan super car, the essence . . .. they should build it like that and smash the VQ38 inside . .FGS

damn.. that is a nice looking car..

front end looks a bit too clean though.. no brake cooling ducts or anything, just a single air dam. And it has a nice cartoon like face to it.. looks angry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts