couldent they MAKE it pass emissions
eg 2 cats or less boost

iam not keen on a v6 making big power there to small to be strong enogh

gus

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
VQ30DETT

The RB is an amazing engine, but don't write off the VQ30 before it's even launched.
The VQ30DETT is a short stroke engine so should rev very well, and its the same block as the VQ35 so there must be some room for mods.
If the GT-R gets the VQ motor then lets hope that the RB 'spirit' can at least live on:D

I doubt it'll be as good as the RB26 though, purely because of cost.:(

G

·
0 Posts
One good thing at least is that it will be much lighter. The chunky iron RB block is so much heavier than the all aluminum V series blocks.

Ever tried lifting an RB block? It's unbelievably heavy. Relatively, I can just about pick up an SR20 engine whereas the RB is a bastard to even flip over...

Oh yeah, the V series are also shorter, so I guess the weight distribution would be much better. All part of their new Mid-ship layout I guess.

GMC

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stupid question but is it going in the back?

well it looks like u might be swaying me but it better sound good

G

·
0 Posts
It will still be front mounted, but as the engine is shorter, the weight of the engine will be closer to the centre of the car. This should make it alot easier to come up with that desired close to 50:50 front rear weight distribution.

Don't know why they called it midship... I guess it's close to the middle of the ship? The NSX and MR2 are classified mid-mount I think, whereas the 911 is rear. It could be classed as mid-mount I suppose, just biased towards the front and not the rear.

Gerard

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I would take the chunky iron RB block over a light weight aluminum block though since:

heavy iron block = very strong.
Light weight aluminum block = can't handle much power.

Just look at the last 300ZX TT, very few of them make lots of power, and the few that make lots of power have lots of problem.

Jeff

G

·
0 Posts
Very true Jeff. I'd take the RB block (N1) anyday.
BTW, I'm onto my third RB block in my car.
RB30
RB30ET
RB25DET

Gerard

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Maybe tuners will develop an iron block for the VQ?! I mean if you go to a reputable tuner to get a full engine rebuild/power upgrade for an RB they will still replace the standard block with the N1 item...

G

·
0 Posts
Hmmm, that would be a huge ask I think DCD. I think most, if not all iron/steel castings for Nissan are done by Hitachi. There are Hitachi logos cast everywhere if you look closely at the blocks and exhaust manifolds.

I wouldn't even want to dream of the cost involved to try and perform that task....

I'll have one though, if anyone manages to do it ;)

Gerard

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Gerard,

Sorry for my ignorant, can you tell me what is a GMH body?

May I ask why you picked the RB25DET block over the RB26DET block?

Dino,

I think the most tuner would do to strengthen an aluminum block is to put in iron cylinder liner, like what everybody here do to their turbocharged Honda AFTER their engine blow up, I don't understand why they won't do that BEFORE their engine blow up, everybody just slap on a turbo, go REAL fast for about 2 weeks, engine blow, then they would buy a junk motor to build it up..........I guess that's their style, I shouldn't criticize. :p

But if you ask me, I would rather build up my own nice motor then to build up a motor from the junk yard :rolleyes:

Jeff

G

·
0 Posts
Jeff,

Everything except the engine and drivetrain was manufactured by General Motors Holden (Australian subsidiary of GMC). It's a Holden Commodore (VL series). It's the only which was delivered with the Nissan RB series motors, both RB30E and RB30ET.

I choose the RB25DET as I was given the option of a crashed '97 R33 GTS-25T with 11,000kms. The RB25DET is also good for just under 500hp with just a head gasket change. The car weighes only 1200kg so more than sufficient. I also didn't want the hassle of having to modifiy the RB26DETT 4WD sump and to also ditch the gearbox. I was only prepared to buy a front cut so that I got everything complete with the engine, including wiring harness, ecu etc...

The beautiful thing is that the RB25DET with gearbox slides straight into the VL body with any modifications. Engine mounts all fit, ancillaries etc... Even the old Holden prop shaft goes straight into the gearbox and is the perfect length. Coolant hoses etc all fit perfectly. Just too good a conversion compared to RB26DETT.

I got around the electronic -> cable speedo problem by retrofitting the R33 instrument cluster into the dashboard.

The GTR with RB26DETT was also always in the pipeline, so I wasn't too concerned.... ;)

Gerard

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Gerard,

Thanks for the details explaination, now I know!

Sounds like a very good deal, I would pick the RB25 too if I was in your situration ;)

Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts