GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arghhhhh! How many times do we see it that people sell up because they don't use the car enough and then regret it as they can't find anything else they'd rather have. I am at that point myself where the car hasn't been used for months, needs an MOT and, more importantly, needs driving.

Whilst I don't need to sell up, the money certainly would go to good use as I would like to pay my mortgage off early and intend to do that over the next 12 months. The thing is though, every time I start it up to move it out of my unit I think to myself that there is no sound to replace it and I think I'd struggle with that side of it. When my R35 went, it was a relatively easy decision to make but the R32 is proving to have a bit more of a hold. It seems wrong to own a car that gets so little use but it seems daft to sell it without a really good reason.

I know it's all down to my decision at the end of the day but I'm just doing a bit of thinking out loud to see how other people went on with it when they had thoughts of selling up.

Let's hear peoples opinions on how they dealt with this dilemma.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Know I can't be of much help as I've only owned my R32 for a few months and haven't driven it almost 3 weeks because of the cold wet weather but... you can't drive fast in a house and look cool but you can live in a car :chuckle:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Tazz I'm in the same boat. I've had tons of cars over the years and none has given me the 'garage lust` like the car I have. I now, spend all my time obsessing over motorbikes and I feel almost guilty at not taking the car out. Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day and I was farting around on a 125cc bike. That's just not right. Yet, I opened the door and instantly thought, "Nah, not selling".
Yet I will end up up selling and regretting it. I have had loads of interest from (obviously more enthusiastic) people than I of late, and I haven't even advertised it.

What I do know is this. When I sell there will be no hunting for a four wheeled replacement. It'll be a mundane daily driver as the M spec will be a hell of a pair of boots to fill. :eek:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think if it's only going to gain you a year, then why bother. If your car is a '92 then next year you could probably pull more of a premium in the USA.

I sold my 200SX because it wasn't being used. I didn't want a second car that was sitting doing nothing.

6 months later I bought an R32 GTR because it got too boring. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think if it's only going to gain you a year, then why bother.
It will gain more than a year, I'll be paying it off 8 years early! I just fancy not having a mortgage as it frees up finances for other stuff I've got going on at the moment.

If your car is a '92 then next year you could probably pull more of a premium in the USA.
Yes, it is a 92 car so the thought of waiting for a US buyer may have some appeal. The downside to that is that my car is not the tidiest as it was only ever intended to be a track slag by the previous 2 owners and I bought it for the same purpose but have failed miserably. In light of that, I wouldn't want it going part way round the world, sold unseen, for someone to kick off on here that it's a piece of crap and I'm a rogue seller to be avoided at all costs:chuckle:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you have to assume if you do sell it, you may never own another one again due to the prices climbing, so it's a big decision
Mook, that's obviously a factor as I did not pay anywhere near what it would cost today. It's not that I couldn't really afford to get another but more like I wouldn't want to pay an inflated price for one.

I'm in no rush and it's eating no corn so I'll most likely hang on for a while. It doesn't stop you thinking about it though:confused:

·
Registered
270 Posts
keep it unless you absolutly need the money. the house wont go anywhere, once the car you know is gone, its gone. then you have the ball ache of finding another, then getting aquainted with it and ironing out issues ect all over again. and probably given the appreciation at huge cost over what this one has cost thus far. get some more overtime in and slug it out for a year or 2 if you have to. i can appreciate how nice it would be to be mortgage free but good skylines arent cheap or ten a penny.

·
Premium Member
5,796 Posts
The only time to sell a Skyline is when you've seen another better one for sale and your garage is too full.

Not planning on ever selling mine. Far too many hours spent building and hunting parts to get it to where it is.
keep it unless you absolutly need the money. the house wont go anywhere, once the car you know is gone, its gone. then you have the ball ache of finding another, then getting aquainted with it and ironing out issues ect all over again. and probably given the appreciation at huge cost over what this one has cost thus far. get some more overtime in and slug it out for a year or 2 if you have to. i can appreciate how nice it would be to be mortgage free but good skylines arent cheap or ten a penny.
Wow you skyline chaps do talk some sense sometimes :D

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Keep.

If its not being driven you don't necessarily need to insure and tax it just tuck it away. That'll save you good few hundred a year that can go to mortgage. Plus we've all got 500quid ish sat around in misc parts or spare wheels lol.

And consider you can always tow it to a track and have some fun there.

I had the same mindset as i wanted to pay off some mortgage but wife persuaded otherwise.

When it drives off you will chase it down the road I promise. I've got a 32gtr and I'm smitten with it. I caught myself looking back twice today to check it out and all I did was drive kid to school! I keep looking out the window checking her out. You will seriously be sorry to see her go (mine is a he called gandalf the grey! "You shall not pass!" Lol!)

The only time I'd let mine go is if work in NZ or Aus appears for me (which isn't sodding happening) - I'd sell the thing for flight tickets prices! Until then it's getting driven and enjoyed

Money will come n go... yeah 8 years off mortgage but money will come via other means too. Re eval your spending in other places maybe and see if you can bring some cash in via other means.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Keep.

Despite owning my R35, I DEEPLY regret selling my R32 - I won't get another like it again either, unless I spend £15+k and increasing.....

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Provided I have the space , mine's a keeper.

I do get the odd sell sell sell jiggle but I find a good B road blat sorts that.
I used to have savings , and was going mortgage free , however low fixed rate , plus shite saving rate has resulted in another Skyline gracing the fleet.

It was doa but nothing a forged rebuild can't cure .

I vote keep btw :thumbsup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
How long have you been thinking to sell?

Would you be content in knowing that if you did sell, you potentially would have to spend considerably more to get a replacement that can fulfil that void (and moreso if it should top your expectations/memories on what you've got already) I am assuming its a nice example and you've got a history with it?

My 32 sits in storage, usage is rare these days as I just don't get the time. When I do, I find myself gunning for the keys of another car. It's a strange feeling as I still care to maintain it, but also have no inclination to sell it. Perhaps the other cars distract me from it, that or I've adopted the 'curse' of the previous owners, who seemingly have done the same thing, paperwork shows 60km in 3 or so years...

Oddly enough I'd like to add an RX7, yet I know it'll suffer a similar fate.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Do whatever and just forget about regrets. If you let the mind take over it will ruin you......sell it...wish you hadnt?....aa sou....call it a lesson and forget it ..get another. No harm done.

I've thought about selling mine and got it in July, never even driven a skyline yet...its been at the shop for....a while and the recurring thought is, sell it........lets see.

It's still money in the bank..... only sat in a garage and likely to be appreciating faster than the piss weak interest rates atm.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
In my opinion, a car is made to be driver not garaged.
I presume you mean driven (but thats being picky.)

Nevertheless you are way off the mark because the point is that recently the 32GTR has moved from being a car (albeit a fast one ) to being a collectors car

Things are now different
Collectors cars have different rules and , like it or not thats where the GTR is now and where it will stay.

Values go up far quicker and , whilst the 32 GTR will never be an E type or 911 in terms of value , it has become an an increasing assett.

So once purchased a sound GTR costs nothing to own assuming you have bought the right car

With good ones now appreciatng more than the owning costs (including servicing , storing and even driving ) people wont sell as much and this of course just increases demand.

So think hard before you sell yours because in years to come that decision may come back to haunt you.

which is why I will never sell mine unless it is to buy a 34.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts