GTR Forum banner

How many of the modifications to your car have you divulged to your insurers.

• No mods, standard car.

Votes: 94 18.0%
  • Full details of mods divulged.

Votes: 209 40.1%
  • Part of the story.

Votes: 131 25.1%
  • None of their business!

Votes: 87 16.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Da truth

Liverpool Victoria, wonderful people. I have always declared the lot, but did so with reservations over the induction on the GT-R. Cost me a extra £8.99 from August to my renewal in December.
Note, the schedule of facts just states "Engine/Carburettor modifications". That's a pretty big umbrella clause.

The thing I've found with previous insurers that kills the quote is the ubiquitous "bad claims experience". If a load of t****rs try to fly or pass through walls, the remaining folks with the same type of vehicle get to carry the financial can, or worst case, the company starts refusing that type of car.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The brokers are Psicos (interesting name) 0870 066 0096 or www.psicos.com

Cost for me is £1500 giving me access to anything between £0-£25000 fully comp and anything £25001-£50000 Third party fire and theft including Jap imports.

I know some of you can insure for less than that but i have 5 cars between me and the wife so this works out so much cheaper!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Traders policy

Do you have to own alot of cars to get the policy???
It's just that my renewal next year is gonna be a killer so am looking at other options. Also insuring it as a classic interests me too.
Have you had to make a claim on it??? Were there any probs???

Luke

·
Registered
70 Posts
No claims as yet!

Application is dead easy. No difficult stuff, just explained that although i work in IT i buy and sell the odd car here and there effectivly making me a part time motor dealer. As far as i can see from the policy, there is no limit to the number of motors.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Don't want to put a damper on this (we do motortrade policies) but you do have to be trading of some description, buying and selling 5 cars a year is enough for some companies.

BUT If the worst happens you may only be paid out TRADE price.

Also modifications are not automatically covered on the majority of policies - the terms of the policy are written slightly different to a standard motor policy, they can make it a material fact if you change anything on the car you will have to tell them.

Be aware also that some road risks policies dont cover the cars at the trade premises (home address if you work from home) or within 1/4 of a mile of these premises if parked/stolen :eek:

If you want anymore info mail me

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Mods currently declared, BUT I suspect next year I'll go for a traders policy, I often change cars and always pay trade for them, so does £1500 cover you for everything? Do you have to have trade plates to get these policies? My dream of two GTRs looks closer now :D

·
Registered
362 Posts
who knows

Who knows exactly what the standard spec is, if its come from japland with no list as to whats been done internally, ie turbo injectors,cc etc. are the insurance companies expecting us to strip the car apart to see? dont think so.......

I've told them its come from japan and ive done nothing to it here, so what do you want me to provide as far as spec list....

This they replied "ok sir so its a skyline what? we have no gts on our system" so im insured as a standard gtr wih no hassles :)

Dean:smokin:

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Re: who knows

uk_skyman said:
This they replied "ok sir so its a skyline what? we have no gts on our system" so im insured as a standard gtr wih no hassles :)
Mine was put down as a GTR, but they were more keen on whether it had an aftermarket bodykit or wheels than engine mods. spose it might make it more nickable and more of a risk in their eyes.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hi everyone, this is pretty much my first post so I'll say Hi to you all first.:D

I've had my R33 GTS25T for a few weeks now, I'm 33 and my insurance was £850 fully comp for me and my wife with protected no claims.

I told them about everything that I new had been changed in the car, Induction kit, exhaust, Apex boost controller, front mounted intercooler etc, but standard wheels (for now, until I can track down some nice 18 inchers).

The way I see it is, if it gets pranged I dont want the insurance company to riggle out of paying by saying it had mods that I hadn't told them about.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Insurance

Norwich Union - £730 for standard GT-R33,

Told them about the NISMO exhaust and Blitz induction kit, cost went up by £90 to £820

Kev

·
Registered
359 Posts
also norwich union (direct)

33 GTS25t

when asked "any modifications sir?"

i replied "it's got alloy wheels and a bodykit on it"

he replied "don't they come with those as standard?"

i replied " yeah, i suppose so"

and when it comes to engine mods.... what do i know?? :rolleyes: :p

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
You have to take into account whether you want your nice £2000 wheels insured too. It's alright having a cheap policy until some little twat goes and knicks your new wheels and the Insurance company only pays out for standard ones.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts