GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my subaru, and along the way I had a guy try to trade me a 77 celica w/ f22c swap and a ton of goodies, for the car plus cash (obviously). I did everything that I could to come up with the cash to buy his car (you can't loan out for a 77 celica), but once I worked my pants off to get the money together, it turned out that he couldn't get financed on even half of what I was asking! I was really ticked as I really wanted the updated classic car, even if it had a few flaws. Anyways this all inspired me. You see his car was supposedly known as "el diablo" basically a super bad a mother sucker. A car unlike any other on the planet. Well I feel the sudden urge to one up him, so I am now going to build a 72 240z and update it as well, but better. I am not only doing this to one up him, I really want an updated classic, and the 240z is one of my favorites. So presenting the beginning of a beautiful relationship:

The Virtue:
1972 240z
All original with a few upgrades
71k original miles
New Paint

Just to begin, I am ordering the new heart: RB26

I know this is kind of childish, but I gotta spend that money I saved up!

Here is a pic of "El Diablo"

·
Registered
400 Posts
welcome to the board brent. i knew you would wind up with a rb26 somehow. glw project.

-T

·
Registered
498 Posts
This will be great, I seem to remember another left hooker 240Z in one of the Jap car mags with a GTR engine in a while back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Twinners! I am actually doing a dark gunmetal color. something similar to this forza paint job i did:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Look my parts started coming today! Also I am going to be adding video clips to my build blog.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Motor Came Friday:

and here are a few inspirational pics:

I decided that for the size of project this is becoming I needed to get something to haul the car/ parts around.

SO...
I got this for the sole purpose of using it for the z project:
1993 Ford E350
V8
Tow Rated between 7 and 10000 lbs (This is the range I have found reported online)
Also the interior already doesn't exist so I don't have to strip it.

Biggest downfall: This thing is huge!

here is a quick mock up of the direction this van is going:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so I got anxious and just painted it today.

Here's my support vehicle! I can officially tow my car around town for kicks now!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally decided to open up the motor and see what kind of shape it's in. Looks to be good aesthetically, but that really doesn't mean a lot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All of the body parts came today!!!! Finally! So Saturday I will pull the motor and cut the fenders up so that it will be ready to paint next week.

·
Banned
1,032 Posts
mmmm some tastey carbon!! What colour scheme are you going with, the GT pics you'v shown earlyer in the thread?

Nice motor keep the good work up

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^you know I am really torn. Goes to the booth next week and I can't decide. I have always loved the z in orange, but I like the low profile look of gray/ black with just a little splash of color. Anyways I am still stuck on that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I thought I had posted my ideas in this thread, but I guess not. Here are my options:
1: Black and Gunmetal 2 tone

2. Black and Gunmetal with colored stripe

Got the stripe idea today when I saw this:

3. Orange and Black 2 Tone (probably go with the Arancio Atlas Mic 2CT from the Murcielago)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok so today the work started. Thanks to Micah, we were able to get the motor and trans out in under 2 hours!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts