GTR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
All I can say fellas is buy one, and buy one from Ben.

The AP really does unlock the beast within. I'm running stage 2 AP with a mid-pipe and my GTR is just beautifully brutal now.

Customer service from Ben is second to non.

Worth every penny.
+11! :D

Glad to hear you are running just a Y-pipe like I am (for now!).

This got me slightly confused:

"-Stage 1= a STOCK GTR or ONLY an axle back exhaust. NO intakes. Fully catted.

-Stage 2= CATTED Downpipes, and a full exhaust (can be catted or catless mid) Y- pipe ok. NO Intakes. Drop in filters are OK. Intercooler pipes are OK."

as it seems to imply that Stage 1 is not for decatted Y-pipes and Stage 2 is only for Y-pipes AND cat-back exhaust.

Whatever, I will probably get a custom tune once I've logged some data after I've installed Stage 2.

First I want to get some base-line VBOX data using Stage 1 (see my Cobb thread for dyno readings for Stage 1).

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Stage 1 recommend stock oem exhaust and mid pipe

Stage 2 works well with Y-pipes
ARRGHH! Sorry to keep going on about this, but this is still ambiguous!

For Stage 1 do you mean "stock OEM exhaust and (an aftermarket) mid/Y-pipe"? Or do you now mean completely stock exhaust?

I know now that you can run, in reality, run either Stage with any combo of stock or aftermarket Y-pipe and cat-back system, but it would be interesting to know what the actual recommendation and intended mods Cobb had in mind when developing the two maps.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Ben before you answer David's question, can I just expand on it.

Could you perhaps phrase the answer as.

Stage 1 Optimised for ....
Stage 1 OK for ....

Stage 2 Optimised for ....
Stage 2 OK for ....

Rich

arr too late ....
No, I like your way of asking the question if Ben would like to give a definitive answer.

As I said, it appears that you can in reality run any combo you like, just as you have run Stage 2 with a completely stock exhaust, but I would just like clarification as to what Cobb had in mind when developing the maps.

When I've "finished" with the bolt-ons, I will get a final custom tune.

Of course, what does "finished" ever really mean? :chuckle:

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Nice! So is that with the de-cat downpipes v stock downpipes?

What was the max power?

What happens come MOT time? A lot of labour to put the stockers back on isn't it? Are you looking at sport cat options too?

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Hehe, I've owned a few Ferrari V8s so I'm not fussed about my Nissan sounding like one! :D

But I am interested in extra power and response, but as you know, not getting thrown off tracks for too much noise is also a priority.

So what was the peak power figure in your graph? And that was with NO cats, right?

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Very exciting to let you guys know, this morning the first trial on a R35 using just an accessPORT successfully saw real controlled boost via the ecu, RPM based boost control. No boost controller in sight.

For the last month or so, to help take the work load away from the Cobb GT-R team (Trey, JoeGR, Turtle), GTC main tech man Thistle had been busy with the raw GT-R rom files. The wastegate duty table axis now uses RPM instead of airlow, which was the reason behind the boost spikes. This now allows proper independent control of overboost situations by rpm. Now wastegate duty follows the map by RPM.

More testing to be done, but an otherwise standard car with significant traction problems in the dry, although this was on the initial map which gave 20 PSI midrange and 17 PSI at 6000 RPM and will be detuned in the midrange as the car is otherwise stock. The important point is that now we can detune the midrange and keep the high RPM boost up

Next up Knock in datalogs :)

If you thought the AP was good, its about to go to next level thanks to the tireless efforts of the team who never stop striving to improve.

All being well GTC will shortly be offering custom tunes with the new features included. I have told a number of people to hold off buying custom tunes from us until this was implented and we were happy, and also to save boost controller £££

Items changed and optimized in the custom tuning:

Boost Wastegate duty cycle is optimized to the specific vehicle, and smoothed to eliminate drivability issues, while maintaining a safe boost level
Intake and Exhaust cam timing are optimized for best spool-up, drivability and top-end power
Ignition timing is optimized and smoothed
Fueling is adjusted to meet the engine's requirements
Completely awesome Ben! :bowdown1:

I can't believe you guys have managed to achieve what no US or Japanese tuner has managed so far. Go GTC!

BTW, see my Cobb AP thread for the Evo magazine update.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
The single best addition you could ever make to your GT-R.

And you can quote me on that! :D

Ben and Thistle's custom tunes also deserve a special mention. Aftersales service that is second to none, categorically not merely "box shifters".

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
can anyone break down how best to run the virtual dyno setting on the AP?
Not sure that feature works that accurately. No way it can without knowing accurately the weight of the car as tested.

As Ben says, the acceleration monitor is very accurate. Exactly the same as the VBOX which is amazing seeing as the onboard speedos are all out by a good few mph!

My fastest times so far have been 0-60mph in 3.2s and 0-100mph in 7.2s, figures that match or better supercars costing hundreds of thousands of pounds more!

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
In waht mode was this David? RRR and manual gear?
RROff I think and probably Auto!

The GT-R produces so much torque low down, it is quicker changing up at about 6k which is what Auto does, plus it's very easy to mess up the 1-2 shift in Manual seeing as it needs to happen not much more than a second after launch.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
GOTO:Racing/Dell™ Equallogic GT-R makes 787 WHP thanks to COBB

Video from the Day:
GOTO:Racing/Dellâ„¢ Equallogic GT-R Gets Ready for Superlap on Vimeo
YouTube - GOTO:Racing/Dellâ„¢ Equallogic GT-R Gets Ready for Superlap

The team at GOTO:Racing is in the middle of their two week road trip which includes SEMA, Super Lap Battle, and Redline Time Attack Finals. After a successful week of PR at the SEMA show in Las Vegas, complete with plenty of speculation on how much power the GT-R would make on the coming dyno day, the GOTO rig pulled up to HB Speed to put all speculation to rest.

The previous dyno day, held only two weeks ago, the GOTO GT-R had some issues with MAF sensor resolution. The car started out at 620 WHP at 15psi, and was slowly raised over the day. The COBB AccessPORT held boost perfectly at every level our expert tuners wanted.

Eventually Tim Bailey from COBB Surgline, and Jon Drenas from HB Speed, had the R35 racecar holding 22.5 lbs of boost. At this level the car made an amazing 787 WHP and 721 WTQ. "I had hoped we would have made just north of 700 HP, but to make just shy of 800 is just amazing. I can't wait to feel this thing on track," commented Brian Lock, lead driver of the Dell™ Equallogic GT-R. "The scary thing is this car has a lot more in it," said Tim Bailey, "we want to verify this tune on track, make sure we have no drivetrain issues, then we can get even crazier." This recent dyno session has shown again how amazing a bone stock VR38DETT can be.

GOTO:Racing will be at Buttonwillow Raceway this coming Tuesday to test the GT-R for the first time at this power level. Hopefully they will have what it takes to shock the competition at the Super Lap Battle.
Absolutely staggering!
And the fact that it is absolutely not a dyno queen but a very hard driven road racer makes it even more so.

When it says "bone stock VR38DETT", do you have a list of the bolt-on parts they've added Ben? Actuators, EBC? Which turbos etc?

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
It's not running an electronic boost controller, all done via the AccessPORT :D Injectors and modified turbo, intake and full decatt. 787 all that's needed for circuit, rest of attention on weight saving and suspension set up.

btw Sunday Times ingear mailed me this morning, should see the GTC Titan in there at some point.
Unbelievable! So an AccessPort can now sustain 23psi? That's nearly 1.6bar!
I presume it also had actuators?

Good news on the Sunday Times, you really need to milk that. Pick up the current Top Gear for an example of what people want to know, i.e. that the "untuneable GT-R" is now running 300/400hp more than standard! :D

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
In case any of you need a reminder, this is what can happen to even a very experienced GT-R driver in the wet, with Cobb/GTC remap, worn Dunlops and (crucially) VDC OFF.
YouTube - Auto-Journals.com/Evo Mag's R35 GT-R in the wet

:runaway:

Yes, I was @rsing around, but that let go in 4th gear, about 3k and a quarter throttle! I only mess around like that at Bedford because there is loads of run-off (although that BRAKE board came pretty close...)

Take it easy in the wet.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
It will automatically reinstall the stock map which will be identical to your original map.

I've been told there is no need to save your individual car's stock map as they are all identical to the one stored on the AP.

None of this is to "fool" the dealer, they can all tell how many times the ECU has been reflashed and how high the boost went, this is merely to prevent you losing your own Cobb map should they need to reflash as part of the service.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.