GTR Forum banner
41 - 60 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
... also people talking about AFRs. is a higher no. lean or rich id assume lean
Yes higher is leaner, as the number expresses the parts of air to the one fuel part. Bigger number means more air and thus a leaner mixture. 14.7 is stochiometric: i.e. a perfect mixture, but not viable for engines.

@Benji: That video is simply wicked! Thanks for the view over your shoulder. That certainly proves a picture is worth a thousand words. Hope you don't mind I posted it to the German forum too. :bowdown1:

@Dave: Take a look at COBB Map 1 or COBB Map 2?

The COBB site answers your question too. Haven't I seen you post on the NAGTROC forum?

·
Registered
565 Posts
To be honest as many already understand stage 1 & 2 are already very effective, so we recommend only go for custom tune when going stage 3 i.e turbo outlets, actuators etc...We're not here to charge for stuff you don't really need :) ask Scotty B how much stuff i put him off from getting :p
Yip talk about honest to the core, i have been on the phone all week trying to buy stuff and he keeps talking me out of it!!!!

Really good to see that Ben only recommends items that work well together and that have been specifically tested and deemed as serviceable on his own car..........

Top Service!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thanks Ben,
I did read the data logging bit on page 1 but looked complicated (to me) im sure its not and i suppose its easier to understand when you have the AP

One thing has always puzzled me, if its this easy to get another 70hp and the maps still be on the safe side why wouldnt nissan do this straight from the factory.

I supposed i worry too much, only car i ever had tuned ( back in 97 ) was an integrale it then systematically fell to pieces, so i have a bad experience with just wanting that bit more power
The reason Nissan have left a bit of slack is because they'll be offering an upgrade pack (endorsed and with warranty) for silly money (and not as good), in the same way Subaru did for the Imprezza STI. I'll put money on it!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Surely some mistake? That can't have been with the standard Cobb Stage 1 map...
I think it might be a mistake as well David,

AS Stage 1 on the video text probably refers to Auto Select Stage 1 tuning package??

Probably consists of Actuators and full system plus y pipe???

Really hope i am wrong......:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
notice the high RPM boost taper in that video. looking to get consistant boost all the way from 4000-7000 RPM, a nice flat boost curve using a flat wastegate duty cycle

you'll notice the same with a stock set up, never had boost fall off like it does on the new GT-R.

·
Registered
669 Posts
So Ben just to be clear the video shows two graphs.

First one 503 - 581 PS
Second 520 - 586 PS

Presumably the first figures are before & the second after? Are we to assume that the before figures are standard and the second figures with just a Mid Pipe and an Autoselect custom tune? Or are the graphs at the wheels & at the engine power?

You then say you have the map, can you explain timing pulled? Is this representative of the sort of gains that can be made with just a mid pipe and a custom tune, will you be offering something similar?

If so how would we go about getting it?:D Or am I putting 2 & 2 together and making 5?

Rich

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Hi Rich,

how's it going ? any more pod runs ?

I havn't spoken to AS about these runs, ive only just saw this video today on their youtube page but can say that first run won't be stock power for sure. I can check we converse quite alot.

Similar i don't know what exactly they're changed in the map as its locked and we wouldn't open it anyway out of respect for their interlect property and not that we'd need to anyway.

Some nice improvments can be made in a custom tune and we're giving Cobb Tuning alot of feedback on what we'd like seen in the soft & logging etc..every few days been making nice advances, in fact Joe is probably sick of us lol

Week just gone was spent starting etuning a JDM 35 in India fitted with GTC turbo outlets, actuators, ti y-pipe and exhaust. Without custom map he saw boost spike & safety mode cut. Custom mapping got this undercontrol, good drivability and top end power...and most important safe afr.

Sorry no dyno graphs as no dyno in his area.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I ordered my "IPod" on Friday afternoon, 9am Saturday morning knock on the door "Sign here please" 15 minutes later all done (with a little help from Ben :thumbsup:) due to the dire weather, not had much chance to compare before and after, but I have a 200 mile round trip to Silverstone tomorrow (Test driving new and vintage 911's for free as a guest of Porsche). So will let you know tomorrow. :clap:

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
driving Porsche's ??? See if you can crash a couple !! As for Ben's work, keep it up Ben.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
We spent day on dyno yesterday custom mapping Fairuz JDM 35, sporting bran new BBS Gold rims :D

Previous seen results on dyno dynamics

Stock R35 476hp (380ATW) on dyno dynamics

JDM R35 with GTC 3" y-pipe 486.3hp

EDM R35 with GTC 3" Y-pipe + exhaust 542.7hp

66.7 hp increase with accessport stage 2 + y-pipe & exhaust

Yesterdays testing

Hooked up with det cans, AFR sensors at tail pipe -accurate reading as no cats on this car.

JDM R35 2,800 miles with GTC Y-pipe, GTC Turbo outlets/Down pipes.

OEM map 532.4hp - impressive power increase, proves VR38 is caged beast and needs to be set free, but runs on lean side without suitable map. turbo spools faster with increased flow.

Cobb stage 2 shelf map 560.7 hp running 1.1 bar boost - this nice 18hp increase over stage 2 map + y-pipe. But again runs lean without suitable map for turbo outlets !

GTC custom tune 571hp (460ATW) running 1 bar boost - we decided to stick with 1 bar boost but improve other areas

We'll do more runs with higher boost soon. More to come with more time on dyno inc improved top end

so bascally that 570hp figure is quite similar to what is seen with HKS 570 kit which costs £3,500 + vat + 22 hours fit time (mostly down to bumper off engine out actuators, boost controller, cooler pipes)

or just buy accessPORT £750, gtc y-pipe £350 and gtc Turbo outlets £450, custom map £350 total £1900 + vat + 4-5 hours fit time

Ourselves, Forged and a few US tuners already proven HKS pipes not necessarily needed, bigger core is more important (pipes can pop off tbh, but heat soak not big issue). Ap controls boost well at 1 bar and controlls fueling. stock actuators ok at a bar also.

Selection of pics inc dyno strap down, which may help other people out

Det can

Faiurz happy

Will shortly do some real world testing. Would like to do a trip to Santa pod to see if this 35 can dip into the 10's. Fairuz reported his 0-60 on ap was 2.9!!! and shot one / two flames on gear change. Or if any mags want to sort us out with Millbrook again :wavey:

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
yeah i love Japshow Finale, something special about that last date in October last few years (except for last oct when it heavy rained) but two years previously skyline we imported duke R33 smashed the 8 sec 1/4 record and won competition

Forgot to mention we did so many reflashes that at one point the battery died and ecuflashing stopped mid way though. Luckly the ap can recover itself and once battery charger added we could continue. But word of warning always use a battery charger just in case !

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Nice! So is that with the de-cat downpipes v stock downpipes?

What was the max power?

What happens come MOT time? A lot of labour to put the stockers back on isn't it? Are you looking at sport cat options too?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Nice! So is that with the de-cat downpipes v stock downpipes?

What was the max power?

What happens come MOT time? A lot of labour to put the stockers back on isn't it? Are you looking at sport cat options too?

Yes Dave ! sports / high flow cat

Those who want to make the effort will have a 35 that sounds as close to a 'Ferrari' V8 as possible

41 - 60 of 285 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.