GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear fellow GTR enthusiast,

What is the idea behind driving fast specifically regarding changing gears?
Once I get my GTR sometime mid this year, I wouldn't know how to use the flappy paddles optimally, I passed my driving test driving a stick but that doesn't mean I know hot to get the best times nought to sixty (0-60). My questions include, when is it best to change from 1 to 2, 2 to 3 and so on.

I watch Jeremy Clarkson, Tiff Needel playing around with the gears on Top Gear and Fifth Gear but that just confuses me. Never had the opportunity to be around real petrol heads.

What would I have to do when overtaking if am cruising at 60mph to overtake the car in front of me - effectively or optimally? Do I shift down say from 6 to 5?

Regards
Torque?Dr

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Wow really?
You sure you want a gtr?

Just do whatever feels right, not what someone else tells you to do and if you can't figure it out, seriously, buy an auto merc.

·
Registered
265 Posts
paddle shift or not its easy just use the effective powerband to pass cars.. manuel or paddle shift this wont change...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I'm an oaf. Thanks. I already have an auto merc that doesn't help.

I was hoping for a physics lesson.

Looking at torque & output vs engine speed(rpm) diagrams - I'm not sure how to relate this to change in gears although i suspect it may not have any relevance.

Here's my guess

Say in you're in 1st gear - Engine revs up to 2000rpm then the torque curve flats out, i.e. this is when it feels right (someone condescendingly told me), time to change gear.

2nd gear - hmm from what i can remember 1st gear doesn't rev up that high does it? 2nd gear can rev higher?

Ok nevermind this is getting to laborious.

p/s forgive me mr administrator for being an oaf an idiot who wants a gtr sorry i come across like so.

You know how sometimes J. Clarkson shifts down several gears when cruising and speed to hear the engine PURR? What does that do?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I was hoping for a physics lesson.

Looking at torque & output vs engine speed(rpm) diagrams - I'm not sure how to relate this to change in gears although i suspect it may not have any relevance.

torque mathers more when in gear say your effective powerband is 2000rpm to say 8000rpm and where cruising at around 1800rpm mash the throtle and the car would start to accelerate at 2000rpm but the higher the gear the slower it will accelerate because of transmision gearing and wheel diameter ... so the reason the lower gear if your in high gear is to make acceleration easier

but diesel dont have that problem at all since they have loads of torque at extremely low revs...

anyway hope this comment helped you and on a side note: are you sure your gonna be ok driving a gtr let alone afford to pay for one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anyway hope this comment helped you and on a side note: are you sure your gonna be ok driving a gtr let alone afford to pay for one?
What makes you ask this question? What sort of signals or indication am i giving that makes you doubt i am not ok driving a gtr? and can't afford one?

·
Registered
265 Posts
What makes you ask this question? What sort of signals or indication am i giving that makes you doubt i am not ok driving a gtr? and can't afford one?

well sorry for that comment if i offended you..

well i based my comment on your post on this thread!!! what do you expect??? we all gave you specific and still wanted more high tech explanation to some semi basic stuff that was clearly detailed!!

anyway sorry if i might sound rude but i am not... not a bit

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Questions and answers

Bull shyte. what i expect is ppl to be constructive and not take the mickey out of ppl who was just simply seeking knowledge not far from constructive comments that offend me. I wasn't forcing an issue, no agenda, no suggestion of im right and you are wrong, just plainly asking a question, but no some ppl just had to be a spiteful bi-at-ch.

frosty, nothing wrong with your first comment, content and satiated with you comments but the Mr Blogs assuming comments was uncalled for.

Fine, tell me do what feels right, but there's no need to demean me.

Jeez, i bet you wouldn't say those things in IRL to someone keen on learning from someone who's ready to enlighten others.

I've found the answer and it's very much more than what feels right. I used the word "optimal" which isn't based on listening and feeling.

Of course I shift gears when it feels right and that is made obvious by the feedback we get from the car. But not necessarily answering my question, when you want to get maximum acceleration.

And some just go on being rude telling people to delete themselves. Why the angst. Needless. Why the tension.

Was looking forward for a discussion, but no.. some people just had to agitate and irritate.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I also need some advice..
What is the idea behind driving fast specifically regarding the steering?
Once I get my GTR sometime mid this year, I wouldn't know how to use the steering wheel, I passed my driving test driving in a milk float, I know how to go round corners fast. My questions include, when is it best to turn the wheel and so on.

I watch Jeremy Clarkson, Tiff Needel playing around with the wheel on Top Gear and Fifth Gear but that just confuses me. Never had the opportunity to be around real petrol heads.

What would I have to do when going round a corner - effectively or optimally? Do I turn it before or after the apex?

Regards
Ferdi P

·
Registered
265 Posts
Questions and answers

Bull shyte. what i expect is ppl to be constructive and not take the mickey out of ppl who was just simply seeking knowledge not far from constructive comments that offend me. I wasn't forcing an issue, no agenda, no suggestion of im right and you are wrong, just plainly asking a question, but no some ppl just had to be a spiteful bi-at-ch.

frosty, nothing wrong with your first comment, content and satiated with you comments but the Mr Blogs assuming comments was uncalled for.

Fine, tell me do what feels right, but there's no need to demean me.

Jeez, i bet you wouldn't say those things in IRL to someone keen on learning from someone who's ready to enlighten others.

I've found the answer and it's very much more than what feels right. I used the word "optimal" which isn't based on listening and feeling.

Of course I shift gears when it feels right and that is made obvious by the feedback we get from the car. But not necessarily answering my question, when you want to get maximum acceleration.

And some just go on being rude telling people to delete themselves. Why the angst. Needless. Why the tension.

Was looking forward for a discussion, but no.. some people just had to agitate and irritate.

the effective powerband explanation i gave you was simple yet effective enough to help you understand the best way to accelerate and fast too...

take for example on a dyno in 5th gear Wide Open Throtle there's going to be a big performance lag right?

try it in 2nd gear and mash it down virtually no lag right? so you had to realise that dropping down a couple of gear to get best acceleration was the best idea depending on setup etc... effective use of powerband ... not just HP because HP is overated... id take a 2000lbs torque car with 1200hp over 2000hp 1200lbs torque why? simple shitload of torque to accelerate then the 1200hp to keep the acceleration its that simple

and pls re-read what ive just said about effective powerband ;) + gearing and youll understand that you would have to feel it for yourself in the actual car.. not on the internet.. if need be go down a gear or keep it in 4th...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I also need some advice..
What is the idea behind driving fast specifically regarding the steering?
Once I get my GTR sometime mid this year, I wouldn't know how to use the steering wheel, I passed my driving test driving in a milk float, I know how to go round corners fast. My questions include, when is it best to turn the wheel and so on.

I watch Jeremy Clarkson, Tiff Needel playing around with the wheel on Top Gear and Fifth Gear but that just confuses me. Never had the opportunity to be around real petrol heads.

What would I have to do when going round a corner - effectively or optimally? Do I turn it before or after the apex?

Regards
Ferdi P

This just made burst into laughter :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts