GTR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per title really. I take it bigger capacity rads go backwards (from the mounting points) towards the engine, rather than forwards too, as there metalwork in the way forward of the rad?

And how much bigger do they go? Double capacity?

Surely only thing limiting thickness is the viscous fan getting i the way?

Cheers.

Stav

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I have a trust one in my shed and it is about 2 or so inches thick.

I had a koyo on my S13 track car and that was the same sort of thinckness.

yes they mount in the same place so the only direction they can go is back into the engine bay. the shroud will still fit a good aftermarket one unless you de prop the engine and fit electric I'd keep the shroud.

with the koyo it was a bit harder to get the shroud back on but once in place then it is difficult to tell it has moved back a bit.

if you do fit the shroud back on tape some cardboard to the back of the rad while you fit it into the car and put the shroud on. it is really annoying when you run the corner of the shroud down the back of your nice shiny rad..

hth
steve

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have a trust one in my shed and it is about 2 or so inches thick.

I had a koyo on my S13 track car and that was the same sort of thinckness.

yes they mount in the same place so the only direction they can go is back into the engine bay. the shroud will still fit a good aftermarket one unless you de prop the engine and fit electric I'd keep the shroud.

with the koyo it was a bit harder to get the shroud back on but once in place then it is difficult to tell it has moved back a bit.

if you do fit the shroud back on tape some cardboard to the back of the rad while you fit it into the car and put the shroud on. it is really annoying when you run the corner of the shroud down the back of your nice shiny rad..

hth
steve
Steve, is the Trust one you have in your shed for sale ?
If so, can I have first refusal please.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I have fitted a Nismo one on my BNR34, and yes obviously the core is larger going backwards.

This makes the rad very close to the pulleys, etc.

With the Nismo item, the shroud still fits in place, and all is perfect. Although the clearance between everything is much smaller!!!

Taken from the Nismo catalogue
Nismo (H)444x(W)658x(D)36mm
Original BNR34 (H)450(W)647(D)16mm

So you can see the core is considerably thicker.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
All the ones i've seen are thicker in the direction of the engine, but far more effective than increased thickness is diagonal flow. Diagonal flow allows the water within the rad a longer time to loose it's heat and is a VERY effective way of increasing the cooling ability. Also make sure you keep the standard shroud, rads without shrouding are nigh on a waste of time when it comes to low speed stuff, and offer very little hindrance when it comes to high speed.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Yes very true about the shroud. Hence why i chose the Nismo item.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Rad

As well as above where bigger is generally best, its also quite easy to overlook how its made. Have a look at ARC International ( ARC ) and see how they make thiers, they have a special machine that creates the fins but also cuts a unique crease within the fins to increase how much air the fins catch. Check the same kind of detail on cheapo big rads... not the same.

As radiators go, ARC is it big not without the price. Ive been there and seen them making them all by hand, extremely detailed work, no wonder why they are steep in price and high in quality.

Andy

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Exactly; you pay for what you get.

ARC stuff is top quality without a doubt, and if not some of the most expensive stuff available in Japan.

I do have an ARC intercooler!! ;)

·
Registered
733 Posts
As per title really. I take it bigger capacity rads go backwards (from the mounting points) towards the engine, rather than forwards too, as there metalwork in the way forward of the rad?

And how much bigger do they go? Double capacity?

Surely only thing limiting thickness is the viscous fan getting i the way?

Cheers.

Stav
Can't believe steveN you're asking us that with all the events and mates you've got in the trade. You must be be an article for a glossy mag.

Had my 50mm core rad form china £150 delivered. Had to lose the plastic shroud as to tight to get it back in and couldn't waste anymore time fighting with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts