GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Matt - just a gente safety tip - if you intend to properly 'use' those harnesses then mount them to the C pillar and not the back seat base fittings.

Lots of physics involved but to cut it short in a heavy frontal impact the way you have them now will exert pressure down on your shoulders/spine etc. Yes, it's better as is than the factory seatbelt but the most efficient and safest way of fitting harnesses IMHO is to keep the main webbing strap as horizontal as possible, and the best way of doing this is to fit it to the C pillar seatbelt fitting.

Just my two penn'orth :)

·
Following EJH#25
6,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jim, won't pulling at an angle affect it too though:confused:

I was going to see, when the cage is fitted, how difficult it would be to make a removable bar for the harnesses so they would be part of the cage?
(and be perfectly horizontal)

They are only in temp at the moment.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Hi Matt,

Yes but the angle when fastened to the C pillar is closer to straight than when fastened to the base of the rear seat.

Plus I'd argue that there's less serious injury to be had be pulling you sideways on impact than by exerting similar pressure downwards on your shoulders and spine.

Just MHO opinion though. Either way, they look the absolute business!! :D

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
So where would you put the 4th strap from a 4 point harness?
I'd do as Matt says and fit a bar as part of a rollcage and mount them both to that :)

When you buy harnesses there should be fitting instructions that show fitting positions. Yeah fitting to the base of the rear seat is ok but the C pillar is better. When I bought my Schroth Safety Devices harnesses the instructions were excellent - would've thought all others come with similar?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.