GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of buying a Used GTR for around 35k, just want know things I need to consider like servicing and maintaining. I'm sure this question has been asked million times so sorry for that.

Currently own the new astra VXR but due to there factory paint, car had to have full respray, but then messed it up so I rejected the car So now I'm loosing out for their mistakes. Owell life moves on.

I am only 20 but 21 in April when I think i should get the car as my insurance won't let me have a GTR before :(

I decided the only time I'm ever going to have the chance of owning one of these cars is now. Yes I still live with my parents.

Cheers Dan

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
If paint is one of your issues with cars, the GT-R does not get any better, it's famous for its soft paintwork, surface scratches appear very easily, you will find alot of members just get the car wrapped to avoid this issue.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Do some research bud. You would be a complete retard to buy a car like this without knowing what your taking on.

The cars seem to be reliable although the 09 cars are the first of the uk cars so who knows if a major fault is about to happen. That said, it seems unlikely. The main things are wear on consumables such a tyres and brakes as they are expensive to replace.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
If you are actually going to use it I'd just make sure you can put aside maybe £800 per month (on top of buying it) to make sure you can cover the running costs.

Maybe more depending on your insurance.

If you can't I'd suggest a rethink, as the last thing you want is the car draining your finances if you have any problems with it...

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
If you are actually going to use it I'd just make sure you can put aside maybe £800 per month (on top of buying it) to make sure you can cover the running costs.

Maybe more depending on your insurance.

If you can't I'd suggest a rethink, as the last thing you want is the car draining your finances if you have any problems with it...
And that's before you even start to think about 'playing' with it:D

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Fair play for aspiring toward a GT-R at your age R9TRD, but with the benefit of hindsight I think it's a fair bet to say that I would have killed myself had such a beast been in my possession when I was 20! Just out of curiosity, have you driven rear wheel drive quick cars before?

For me, covering between 18-20k miles per year costs around £1 per mile, half that mileage and it would be around £1.50 per mile.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
If financing the car is sorted and all that's left are running costs realistically at your mileage I would definitely get a warranty. Litchfields do a good one which costs around £1200 iirc. In regards to fuel remember premium unleaded is recommended so you will need to factor that in too.

There are a few major service intervals which will cost around £500-£900 at an indy. Normal services will costs typically £300. Biggest consumable costs are tyres - best option MPSS will set you back around £1200 per set. At the mileage you do expect to change a set at around 1.5 years. Not very sure how much full set of brakes and discs will cost but I would guess around £1,500.

One final thing to check is insurance. At your age it might cost a bit.

Anyway, if you can afford it and really want it I echo the famous saying : #YOLO!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
These things are expensive to run. This month I forked out 1100 for a set of tires. 490 tax for the year. 530 insurance im 33. And its due a service now. About 150 for a basic service.
If it needed new breaks that would be 2G.
So quite the ring stinger. But I love the car, they are beasts and always puts a smile on my face.
If you can sort the insurance being a named driver or somthing and handle the above Get one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes R9TRD is my actual number plate, retard for anyone who doesn't know ;) already spoke to my insurance won't insure me till I'm 21 anyway. And £1600 in my own name which tbh I don't understand why it's so cheap as the VXR was £1600. I won't really be doing that many miles maybe 6000 a year as I have a second car to cut down costs driving to work as I do about 20000 miles.

I've driven an M3 and insignia VXR and about most powerful cars but I know there nothing compared to a GTR, oh lambo and Porsche on a track day experience thing and that's about it.

I had an accident when I was 17 and from that day I learned ever since.

I've researched quite a bit but I could carry on reading loads of reviews and that but I wanted to know what everyone thinks to the people who actual own one.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Dan

·
Registered
164 Posts
They are amazing, tough machines. I had a 360 before and you always had a little feeling if you thrashed it too much it would cost you.
Have you been in one yet. One go and youll have to get one.

that insurance price is terrific.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I'm suprised at that insurance price. Sounds like a bargain for a 21yr old.

I had a Civic Type R before moving over to the GT-R. I was also suprised that my insurance stayed roughly the same. I thought with it being a much more powerful and expensive car it would be a lot more.

As CT17 says you'll need to put aside a fair chunk of money every month to cover servicing etc. Consumables like tyres and brakes are not especially cheap although you can save a bit on tyres if you switch to non-runflats. Servicing can be kept fairly sensible if you use an independent like Litchfields, SVM, JMimports etc.

Where abouts in the UK are you?

·
Registered
26 Posts
wow 21 and a gtr you must have a canny job as well, amazed at how cheep the insurance is for being so young. still new to my gtr so had no real costs though the road tax is the biggest bummer at £490 when you have to buy more fuel and pay even more to the chancellor. I had a GPZ 900 at just turned 18 years old back in 85 a few years later they changed all the rules and you had to be over 21 to get over a 600. I would not be like to be paying £35,000 on a loan just incase it got smashed up and they did not pay out.
good luck with your surch the only problem I can see is where do you go once you have had one at 21

cheers gary:smokin::smokin::smokin:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would say it costs me about 400-500 a month to run the car roughly. I pay most things in lumps rather than monthly however. I do about 5k miles per year I reckon, I've only had it a year though :D. If you leave it parked up for a week outside, dont. The breaks can become very stuck. That goes for any car but the breaks are rather large on the gtr.

As paulsmig said their really tough and generally very reliable. You may get the ol bellhousing rattle, but unless its severe I wouldnt worry too much, just knock about £700off the price of the car when buying to cover the cost of a litchfield bellhousing fix.

Also have a go in one if you can, to see if you like it. They have a unique character which isnt everyones cup of tea. Saying that you wont get better bang for your bucks from anything else.

·
Registered
58 Posts
These things are expensive to run. This month I forked out 1100 for a set of tires. 490 tax for the year. 530 insurance im 33. And its due a service now. About 150 for a basic service.
If it needed new breaks that would be 2G.
So quite the ring stinger. But I love the car, they are beasts and always puts a smile on my face.
If you can sort the insurance being a named driver or somthing and handle the above Get one.
530 for insurance! I'm paying 900+ age 42 +full no claims. I need to change ASAP. Who's that with?

·
Registered
164 Posts
530 for insurance! I'm paying 900+ age 42 +full no claims. I need to change ASAP. Who's that with?
HI Ben
Im using pace ward. cars at stage 4, I declared all the mods.
Admiral also came in at 570.
But pace ward offered like for like on the mods and track day insurance for £85 a track day.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for Admiral tip. I have 3 cars so I guess admiral multi car should have been a no brainer. Ive just fallen into renewing with Keith Michael's ever since Tescos refused to insure my first modified car 6 years ago... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Jeez £410 for the GTR with admiral multicar. 3 cars @ £1068 all in. Considering Im over £900 just for the GTR I can't believe what a numpty ive been.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Bargain mate ; ) I'm with admiral and they are very well priced. They do try it on at renewal time though, which is me next month lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts