GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to the forum so please be gentle.

I thinking of buying an R35 GTR, at the moment I'm running a Radical SR3 RS 2012 track car, I've had a hankering for racing the SR3 but after doing a couple of joint radical track days I find that although I have the race pace around the likes if silverstone, oulton park and donington park, racing the SR3 is a different ball game all together and I just can't see me having the commitment and speed in a race without risking putting the SR3 in the nearest barrier.

So with this in mind I think the GTR with its dual role as awesome road car and real track day weapon should fit the bill.

I'm off to SPA early July with book a track but when I get back I'll be on the lookout off the right car, so any help or assistance would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
pardon me but what is an SR3? I will googled it but it seems to be a model of a blender. what make is it?

My Advice for you. Do no think any more. Just get the Gtr and you will not regret it.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
pardon me but what is an SR3? I will googled it but it seems to be a model of a blender. what make is it?

My Advice for you. Do no think any more. Just get the Gtr and you will not regret it.

Radical Sports Cars - Radical SR3 RS

It's a far better/more exciting track day car as it's not carrying the mass of the GT-R, but not quite a usable on a daily basis. :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
GTR is not a track car. The weight of it means that you'll be eating through consumables like tyres, discs and pads and will need to make significant cooling mods to keep the gearbox temps under control.

Despite all the press hype, the track isn't its natural habitat out of the box!

·
Registered
67 Posts
GTR is not a track car. The weight of it means that you'll be eating through consumables like tyres, discs and pads and will need to make significant cooling mods to keep the gearbox temps under control.

Agreed, the car is heavy and I doubt that the stock tires can last 15, 2 minute laps. but it is very fun when you take it to the track in the morning , then take the wife to the movies in the evening.

For me, it is at home in the track out of the box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Radical SR3 RS

By far the SR3 is a real track day car that's what it was designed for, I was told by guy who has owned and raced radicals for a long time that i would get bored of driving past everybody on track days and to be fair what he said is true, I still get a buzz out of driving the car but only getting the opportunity to drive the car on track at the most once a month is quite restrictive, the next logical step is to race it, ive passed my ARDS test earlier this year and am booked to do the 750 motor club bikesports event at Silverstone in August so i might just get this one out of the way and make a decision after this race.

The GTR is a decent track day car, but is in the same box as the SR3 when your on track in it your not going to push it 100% due to the amount of money tied up in the car, unless youve got boat loads of cash and dont give a stuff about the car. Also trackdays are great to get that once in a lifetime experience of driving on a race circuit but its very addictive especially when your at the front of the pack driving past all and sundry LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

It may not be as nimble as some of the cars on track days but I still recon a well peddled GTR is still good for sub 2min laps round the likes of oulton park, in comparison the SR3 on race days was lapping in 1:35.2 for qualifying last weekend. The difference is the speed the lighter cars can carry in to the corners by braking later and getting on the power sooner, my SR3 tops out at 125mph on the straights but through the likes of druids corner I'm going through the last apex at about 102mph, the average M3 or evo will be at the most going through there at mid 80's.

As I put in my first post I now want a car thats as much at home on the track as it is going for drive out up to the lakes and for me the GTR does this with loads to spare. :)

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
There is no denying the GT-R is a good track car in terms of outright pace, for a car that's also comfortable on the road.
It'll blitz most other road cars while you sit in air conditioned comfort.

But as said the downside is the trade off in consumables, but running a Radical I'm sure you are not running on a tight budget.
You'll probably want to upgrade a few things too.

I'd have a test drive on track first if you can, just to make sure it ticks your boxes as you are a coming from a car that's more involving.

·
Registered
136 Posts
SR3

Let's face it your SR3 and the GTR are chalk and cheese when it comes to it. If I may make a suggestion a great track day and daily ride is the M3CSL. Unbreakable on the track ,fit the correct pads, buy yourself a spare set of wheels fit some slicks ,shove them in the back (they do fit ) take your jack , get to the track fit them and see how many can keep up with that package. Also you won't have to change pads, discs and tyres after every outing either !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts