GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be getting in R33 GTR once I've sold my current car and I'm after a bit of advice before I start searching proper. I did a search for this but couldn't find a concise answer so apologies if it is there somewhere and I've missed it.
I'm ideally after a V-spec even though on here the opinion seems to be that there isn't much noticable difference. Now I know the technical differences between the V-spec and the standard car but is there any way af telling the difference when checking the car apart from the decal on the back. The main reason I'm wondering is because I've already been to look at one that was advertised as a V-spec but on pushing the seller a bit it wasn't and if the seller hadn't admitted it I'd have been none the wiser. Any help on this would be great.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I am fairly new to Skyline ownership, so my knowledge is limited. So if I am wrong, then I apologise in advance - and anyone who can correct me, then please do.
I looked at an R33 GTR V Spec, and was told that on the ID plate on the bulkhead (the blue one), all V Specs were numbered at 100 or below.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
597 Posts
as above though ride height will obviously depend on the car having std shocks and a lot won't by now.

also ignore the v5 logbook statement, as when i registered mine, it was up to me to declare the spec, so i put down r33 gtr V-spec (cos it was) and 2600cc (which it wasn't but i couldn't remember the exact capacity at the time).

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I was in exactly the same situation as yourself not long ago and have now found the v-spec I've been looking for. As already said, look for the fins on the diff. They are blatently obvious. V-spec has them, non v-spec doesn't.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Fins on the rear diff is the easiest way to tell, I believe.

I have just bought a non-v spec R33....and I have no regrets. The difference is so minimal, I think you are better off just finding the right car as I saw vast differences in the ones I looked at. Its a buyers market, so don't settle for sub -standard. I could have held out a bit longer and perhaps I should but I'm pleased!!

Incidentally, one thing to look for, grinding gears, especially 4th to 5th under heavy acceleration - sychro mesh's are prone to fail..mine are starting to go and I wish I had looked for it!

By the way, I love it!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
This is an old question but it never seems to be definitive. My V Spec has "a-lsd" written at the top of the rev counter (as all real ones do). This is a lamp warning for the "active lsd" at the rear. If it hasnt got this as a start i wouldnt probably go any further looking unless it had an aftermarket clock set.

As mentioned the rear diff (viewed from behind) has fins sticking out like an old air cooled motorbike engine, quite noticable when you see it. The other point about the rear diff (and more important imo) is that its got a hydraulic pipe going into it indicating that its got active lsd via hydraulics/ piston. There most prob a number on the vin plate that means v- spec but i dont know it.

Tony
ps mine is for sale but i'm not pimping it lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers for that. Have just got to sell my car now so I can start looking for the right Skyline.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts

Here is a picture of my rear diff, Just right of the exhuarst you can see the fins.
Hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts