GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Just a quick Q. Is changing the clutch on a R33 GTR a job that could be taken on myself? I dont have a lift was just going to jack it up and put it on axle stands. A mate of mine has a ramp but I cant get my car on it. just really wanting to know how difficult of a job this is. an maybe someone has a "how to do it" list. and NO they don,t have the list at my DIY store :p

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It pretty straight forward if your good with the spanners but the box is really HEAVY, doing it on the floor would be a nightmare IMO.

Thinking of getting a transmission trolley. so thats the only hard thing about it, maybe ill give it a go.. any advise on whitch clutch to fit, currently im running around the 400-450(stage 1), planning on maybe taking her to 500-550, at the fly and would still like to maintain good drivability as its my daily drive.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hi, Just a quick Q. Is changing the clutch on a R33 GTR a job that could be taken on myself? I dont have a lift was just going to jack it up and put it on axle stands. A mate of mine has a ramp but I cant get my car on it. just really wanting to know how difficult of a job this is. an maybe someone has a "how to do it" list. and NO they don,t have the list at my DIY store :p
Just wondering why you cant get it on a ramp?
I can my 32 with veilside side skirts, just have to wind feet of the ramp right in and then wind them right out once they are under the car.
Me and my bro did mine and it was alot easier than i thought it would have been.
Problem bits are the top starter bolt and the weight, we used 2 transmission jacks.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
exedy clutch or os giken - I've got the latter ...dave (mava_rules) has the exedy in his 32gtr. We spent a wkend doing it, getting to some of the bolts on the top of the bell housing is a right er... pain in the buttocks but do-able with lots of extension sockets. some of the prop shaft bolts can be difficult too - lots of wd40 and patience or you risk rounding them off! The clutch is bloody heavy - two of us struggled under the car. aligning the splines is a bit tough but again do-able. I'd def recommend a friend helps you out!
speak to mava_rules - he's done most of the work on his including the clutch and he'll point out some bits to look out for too. its a hard slog but you'll be pleased at the end of it :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can my 32 with veilside side skirts, just have to wind feet of the ramp right in and then wind them right out once they are under the car.
Me and my bro did mine and it was alot easier than i thought it would have been.
Problem bits are the top starter bolt and the weight, we used 2 transmission jacks.
Tell you the truth, I probably could get it on now that i've put the standard suspension back on, but would like to do it at home as his place isnt that secure and would,nt want to leave it there if I had a problem.
How long of a job is it? will get my mate to give me a lift.
Any advice on what clutch to fit?
Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
speak to mava_rules - he's done most of the work on his including the clutch and he'll point out some bits to look out for too. its a hard slog but you'll be pleased at the end of it :)
I spent a full day trying to change the clutch on my scooby, then gave up as I couldnt split the box from the enginge. only to learn of a retaining type ring that stops it from splitting, my point being any advise like this is much appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
450 Posts
As above, make sure you've got a few mates about, it took 4 of us and 2 jacks to move the box about, I was gobsmaked how heavy it was.

I put Exedy stage1 into my lightly modded 32, it felt great but did start to slip by the end of the day when I was drag racing.... Fine on the road tho.

There isnt any major issues removing the box or associated parts, as has been said the starter bolts and top bolts on gearbox are a pain, but thats it.

Took me and my mates 4hrs on a ramp to do mine, with a stop for tea.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Good tip for axle-stand people - put a rope around the gearbox, feed the ends through the hole in the transmission tunnel where the gearstick lives and tie the ends around a bar. The bar then supports the rear of the box accross the trans tunnel allowing the front to be moved around to align it with the engine. This saved me last time!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Good tip for axle-stand people - put a rope around the gearbox, feed the ends through the hole in the transmission tunnel where the gearstick lives and tie the ends around a bar. The bar then supports the rear of the box accross the trans tunnel allowing the front to be moved around to align it with the engine. This saved me last time!
wish Dave and I had done that bloody hell!! :confused:

·
Registered
597 Posts
The 33GTR has the same problem you had with your scooby its got a pull clutch not the more comman push clutch so you will need to remove the clutch fork from the release bearing before you can pull the box out!!

Cheers

Nick.

·
Registered
610 Posts
hi mate just read your thread about you changing your own clutch.
I have just done the same and it's not as difficult as you might think.
Mine is the pull type which i assume yours is as you mentioned the clutch pin clippy thing.lol
it is a R clip and a twat to get out. just use some type of hook type tool, i made my own but a hook type windscreen fitting tool would do, the clip pulls out towards you.
Also just let the clip drop in the bellhousing you can get it out later, now the clip is out, you need a tool to push a rod out that the clip goes through, i made another tool to do this i welded a 1.5" bolt to a 6" to to make like a L shape prising tool and used that to prise the rod down in the bell housing, the rod goes downwards.
Now onto the starter bolts the top one is a swine to get out and back in, not really any tips on this just struggle.
The top 2 bellhousing bolts can be got at once the box mount is off and the box is angled down slightly you can get to them with about 2-3 foot of extensions, i had to use all the extensions i had using step downs from half inch to 3/8s to quarter drive PMSL
As some one mentioned the box needs to be turned, not to bad to get off but a **** to get back on, you seem to struggle for hight, like you can't get your box high enough without it hitting the drive tunnel, you need to turn it to the narrowest side as about 20degrees or so.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Sounds like you're talking about a 2 post ramp, and issking is talking about a 4 post. There are very few 4 post ramps I can get my car on, (luckily ours is one of the few!), some I can get on with the use of wooden planks, some theres no chance at all.

Alex B

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well thanks for all your help and advice guys, will have a go at it in couple of weeks when I finally decide which clutch to fit, will let you know how it all goes.
cheers

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Compared to the grief of having bugger all room underneath the car when using axle stands I'd say 20 minutes removing the front bumper so that you can get the car on your mate's ramps is by far the best idea.

Just asking - if you do it this way how do you support the gearbox when you're taking it out? Wouldn't have thought any kind of transmission jack would be tall enough to be of use when on a ramp?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just asking - if you do it this way how do you support the gearbox when you're taking it out? Wouldn't have thought any kind of transmission jack would be tall enough to be of use when on a ramp?
Don't all ramps have a jack built on to them, therfore it is no higher than being on the floor.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Transmission jacks are available that go up to 6 feet high, Most people with a ramp have one. I dont often work on 4 wheel drive setups but this sounds very similar to some I have done in the past.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just a quick Q. how do you refit the cluch bearing into the cluch plate on a pull style clutch? Do you need to push the bearing into the fingers manualy?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.