GTR Forum banner

Thinking of getting a R32

982 views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  rb30r34 
#1 ·
Hi, i currently own a Nissan Pulsar Gti-r, and iv got into drifting. 4wd just dont work aswell.

Anyway ive found a R32 single turbo on PistonHeads, in grey. Its got tein adjustable dampers, boost controller, GTR bodykit?.

Whats the pros and cons on the r32? and how far can i go?

thanks jake

#3 ·
Best model mate! if you can afford an R32 GTR you wont be dissapointed!
good luck with the search.
:)
bob

#4 ·
you want a Silvia. I think the R32 is the best car on earth, but I know its limitations: it will never be mistaken for a "beautiful" car, it is fat and huge, and it can drift, but so can a lorry in the right hands. There are people who drift the R32, but the AWD is always disconnected, and oftentimes the RB engine is thrown out and replaced with an SR20DET, because the RB engine's length has it sitting over the front wheels too far. Might as well just start with a Silvia in that case.

#7 ·
it will never be mistaken for a "beautiful" car, QUOTE]
(holds his hands over his car's ears!):chuckle:
how could you say that they're lovely looking cars!
;)
bob

#6 ·
A GTST is great for drifting. Dont swap out an rb for an sr. Its way more common to see rb's in silvia's than it is to see sr's in skyline's.
Dont listen to what kismet said, its generally wrong. New Zealand has a relitivly large drift scene and there are plenty of skyline competing that are way up there.
If you want to drift with a gtst go for it, they make great drift cars. But then again if you want to drift with a silvia they are very good to. But so are A31 cefiro's and C33 Laurel's. Anything nissan and rwd will go sideways.

#8 ·
don't get me wrong, my R32 GTR is the most beautiful car on the road....in my eyes. To nearly everyone else, it's an old Jap saloon that's way too fat, way too loud, and...way too fast :chuckle:

In Japan the common practice for R32 GTS-Ts was to put in an SR20DET - hence SR20s are far more scarce and pricier than an RB20, which is a very smooth engine but heavier for the power it makes compared with the SR20. Simple physics - the SR20 is shorter and sits back on the front axle more than the RB20, which is equally as long as the RB26.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I had an RB20 tuned up and it drifted just fine. I'm just saying what the OPTIMAL combinations are...any decent driver can drift whatever they want and get good results.

#9 ·
I would imagine that for drifting the best bet would be an S13 with an SR20.

With an R32 especially GTR you'd want to get rid of the HICAS and the ATTESA (pull the fuse at least). Not to say it couldn't be done just is it the best car for the job. An SR20 will be cheaper to tune and run and S13 parts are cheap as chips. Much of the suspension is shared with the R32 anyway.

As an ex-GTIR owner myself the R32 is a different kind of car. Less practical and doesn't feel as quick (for the same power). However it's better at speed and better for long distances. I think that the GTR is a better car all round but it does cost more etc.

#10 ·
+1 on the S13 for drift. I like the S14 shape personally, but for outright handling for either grip or drift, it's hard to beat the S13. It's like an AE86 but with a much more potent engine, especially when tuned of course.

#12 ·
WHAT the r32 isn't beautiful ! Go wash your mouth out, you've lucky my baby can't read she would be crying in the drive right now :)
Well if you're just going tire burning with it the s15 is one of the best looking tire burners out there, unless you've money to burn then the ae86 is the nuts

#13 ·
another Ex pulsar onwer here :D

HCR32s make excellent drift cars - all they need is a 2way or welded diff , some extra steering lock and a decent seat

They are great cars to have fun learning how to drift :D

In Japan the common practice for R32 GTS-Ts was to put in an SR20DET
Quite a few SR 32s int he Uk now - often drifters on a budget choose the SR for the handling benefits and fear of 'skyline tax' when fixing RBs

Twin cam with SR20.
Perfect combination for drifting.;)
True - Dmac va Kazama at Silverstone proved this, however the initial outlay for an AE86 make it tough to justify for a learner drifter ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.