GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
too many sub-forums,
too much emphasis on the r35, which is hardly a tuner's delight. just how many broken part threads will non-owners really want to read?
too little traffic elsewhere,
too few posters generally now

this forum has lost it's way imvho :confused:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
alright dying is a bit of an overstatement, but it seems to me there's less and less activity by fewer active posters

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Think it might be the fact that most of the knowledgeable people on here have seen it all before.
New people ask the same old questions.Lets face it old generation GTRs are old !
I think the R35 is an amazing car and the tuning that is going on is very strong,just look at what AMS are doing, also JM imports 4.0 Jun.
We just need more WORLD RECORD breaking threads,they always liven things up :chuckle:

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
What do you expect its getting close to the summer, people want to be out with their mates, enjoying their cars, not sitting behind a computer screen talkng about enjoying their cars instead of actually doing it...

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
I'm with asiasi. Skylines have been around for a long time and a lot has been said. There is not much with the RB26 that is ground-breaking and so for the most part ownership has stabilised and people are content with their cars or are using existing discussions to provide the information they need on future plans. As regards "just how many broken part threads will non-owners really want to read?" that applies equally to Skylines. How many threads do i want to read on 'under 25 and can't get insured' or on 'what wheel offset ....' or on 'who makes the best pistons'. It has all been said and discussed many times and there is little new that can be said.

The new GTR section does provide a huge benefit to the forum and is drawing in new advertisers and sponsors that everyone can benefit from. It also provides greater club membership allowing us to do more events, do them better and also provide more services to both paid up members and non-paid free forum users. Perhaps in time this will change and the emphasis between members and non-members will alter but the forum will still always be free to all as far as I can see and will provide a huge well of information and knowledge to Skyline and GTR owners old and new.

The forum is not dieing it is in extremely good health and is by many statistics bigger than it has ever been. The distrbution of threads however is being addressed and we started last month looking at various options. The single major issue however is the lack of willingness for people to move around the forum beyond their core preferred areas. This creates areas of stagnent conversation and does not help. Again we are trying to do something about this and get non-event people to look at events, get non-Skyline people to look at the Skyline section, get non-GTR people to look at the GTR section, and get more people interested in the sales and wanted section and the shop. Similarly, and to some extent more critically (owing to the investment and the impact it has beyond this website) we need people to make more use of the News feeds and stories, more of the Flickr feeds, more of the Twitter and Youtube feeds. All this takes time and the fact one area is less vibrant is not down to the forum, the club or anyone other than the users themselves.

Creative thread writing is a difficult thing to do but every once in a while a thread comes up that really sparks interest and debate (and I don't mean one's that need huge amounts of intervention and moderating because of inflamatory remarks or disagreements). What we would like is more of those. Sadly however people would rather not put the effort in and so there is not the stimulus to start and so bland prevails. It's down to the users to make it what it is.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
The single major issue however is the lack of willingness for people to move around the forum beyond their core preferred areas.
Guilty as charged.... The main part of fixing a problem is knowing it exists, I didnt realise untill now but I only attend 2 sub forums these days.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Times change, forums evolve, people move on

the forums in rude health thanks to the 35 IMHO

mook
Agreed!

I have within the last couple of weeks starting using the "new Posts" options and have found it invaluable in reading new material that I would not have bothered with in the first instance. It had taken me months to wade through some of the topics and posts he as they are pretty deep in places.

Hey Mook, aren't you over at Spa this weekend / tomorrow?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
The beautiful thing about skylines is that they attract a wide range of people. At one end you have your 2.0na 32's, 33 gtst, gtr's, 34's, 35 gtr's etc the list goes on. Each model commands a different price tag. With this eclectic mix comes different points of views different opinions. I think the problem is that some people may feel a bit shy about contributing for what ever reasons.

As mentioned the usual queries can be answered by using the search function, misfires, which turbos etc etc.

There are areas of the forum that I don't frequent (mainly the 35 section) but I do enjoy having a read through most the other sections. I think the more people are encouraged to leave their comfort zones and contribute to the other sections it can only be a good thing for the forum as a whole; member or non-member.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Maybe the fact that unlike other cars, there's three different Skyline forums in this country? Plus the AU site which is also in the same language...

I don't think the age of the car really matters, I don't really buy into the "it's all been said" argument. You can still have a good community feeling with lots of banter etc even if it's all been said again and again.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Agreed on the community and banter comment. For me the best way to see the community in action and to be part of the banter is in person. And perhaps the best example of just what the community can do when it comes to having a great time, meeting up (including the overnight before), enjoying the cars and making a difference is the charity event in August. We could do with more of these bigger gatherings. Hopefully the recent Santa Pod events and others will see more of that

·
Registered
787 Posts
Kind of agree in some aspects. Sometimes it feels more on the side of Nissan than its users but hey thats my two pence worth. Wish it was more friendly like skylineowners and I know someone will say bugger off back there but I really do like this forum. I wanted to become a member the other day but to find £45 is alot for a car club. Having said that I havent spent a penny with gtroc and I have found the forum extremely useful.

I still love you GTR! :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
too many sub-forums
A very valid point IMHO. It doesn't work well, no offense. Possibly if there was heavy traffic, but otherwise it just disbands any kind of 'forum community spirit', just a few sub forums would help bring members closer together. I find myself just clicking 'new posts' every now and then and see if anything interesting has come up.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Same as Mook. 99% of the time I come on and click 'New Posts', and there's usually 2 or 3 pages to flick through. When I see 7 or 8 pages of new posts (quite often) I still make the effort to glance down all of them and just see what catches the eye. It might be an interesting-looking R35 thread, it could be off-topic rubbish, it could be something for sale, anything really. There's nearly always something new, and when there isn't, I start thinking of something fascinating (?) to post.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Rarely come here anymore because it's getting a little boring, soon after all the political correctness stuff came on the forum. Go back 2-3 years or so when 6speed posted his stuff, 95% of the people ripped on him and they where some of the funniest posts ever.

Lets say that 6 speed never came on here, and posted those exact same posts right now, but with all the PC stuff in place. Half the members here would be banned for what they said to him.

Not much is allowed on this forum anymore sadly. I check out driftworks daily because its a funny place to be. I log on here once a month or so, check a few posts and leave within 5 minutes...

1 - 20 of 117 Posts