GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I no longer have the time to update this site regularly, I'm considering selling the whole thing to someone who does.

www.gtr.co.uk domain
All the original files
stacks of pictures, sounds, etc.
All the utilities I use to maintain the site (vBulletin, HTML validator Pro, etc.)
magic-moments hosting (due for annual renewal in 15 days)
Anything else, within reason, one can think of.

I'm pretty certain it could even generate decent revenue if one was that way inclined ;)

Make me an offer here, by PM or email [email protected]

Cheers

·
Registered
805 Posts
The site

Joss,

Sad news indeed :(, but I can understand with the site exceeding it's 3Gb a month bandwidth, the time required to monitor and maintain the site has grown hugely over time, it's a tribute of your efforts over the years...

It would seem to me that no one person will be able to keep pace with such a busy site on a part time basis, so would it not be an idea to share the admin with a few others, as we are fortunate that so many of the members dwelling in the IT realm and would doubtless be willing to help

Also, I know cost is not the issue here, but again I'm sure many on here would be willing to pay a 'membership fee' to enable the site to hosted 'commercially' with the provision of some 'general maintenance' on the site, I say this as one of the none IT members :)

Just some first thoughts I'm sure others will have some ideas too ?

RonS

PS. Whatever happens I vote you remain Captain of the ship :)

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
gtr.co.uk

Thanks for all your efforts Joss. I am sure that they are appreciated. What timescales are we talking about? What stops in 15 days? I think that paying membership will be a good idea but someone will need to pay out and then collect. Always an interesting idea.
dave

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Sad news Joss,

Glen was talking on this very subject at one of the grasshopper meetings.

I would be up for this being the central point in a skyline club.

The only problem with forming a proper club is the amount of people who actually attend functions would not allow us to organise single marque track days etc..

so we would have to work in association with other OC's.

this has never been a problem in the past but joining 2-3 owners clubs could be a bit excessive.

The views of people who don't post much would be interesting here, as those of us who do post regularly probably wouldn't be frightened off by making a donation/membership fee but the guys who just read the posts without speaking may have different views.

speak up now, what are your views on this subject ?

/Steve

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Oh well, not unexpected

Joss.

As you set this thing up sooooo long ago I for one would be sad to see the loss of you on this site. Could you perhaps not sell 50% and be a silent partner :D .

On another note it is good what SteveC and others have said but it is basically down to the new owner/owners to make decisions. Hopefully these will be based on input from guys/gals here.

I have some thoughts but for the time being, as usual, am gonna sit and watch.

Bye for now.

glen

·
Registered
201 Posts
As a newbie, the site is certainly the best I've seen in my web travels and I wouldn't have a problem paying a membership/subscription depending on the amount of course ;-) . Although how I could quibble over money when 2k trips to abbey are easily justified and the insurance is about 150/month I'm not sure :D .

The level of support, info and comedy banter are such that we should make efforts to retain the site as much as we can.

Although I couldn't really put time in I would be ok with a 'pay to play'.

Cheers

Iain

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
As a newcomer to this site, I dont really kjnow the history behind it, but what I have gleaned from the members here, you, Joss has been the main man, and as such youve done an excellent job, the site and forum have been of huge use to me... I would like to express my thanks for what you have done...
It will interesting to see how the site matures as it passes on to person, or persons with a little more time, to dedicate to it, with such a good foundation the site and such good members www.GTR.co.uk can do nothing but go from stength to strength...
and as the talk aways turns to ugly talk of money, :) I wouldnt hesitate to pay a membership to help maintain this site to whoever takes on the responsibility.

again thanks Joss... :)

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Joss you have done a great job, maybe we could go the way the Lancer Forum went with membership and a group of administrators??? I hold my hand up to help!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sad news Joss:(

I am all for a Dedicated Skyline club. Can't see any problems in working with other clubs regarding track days. The main question would be 'GTR or all Skylines'?

In my view we should all band together and all Own the Site and the club.

Just my 5pence.

Si

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Joss, you have done an amazing job on this website. GTR.co.uk is one of the very few sites I visit on the net, and the community on the forums is great. Its just sad to see it being sold:( I wouldn't mind paying either for it.
-Elliot

·
Registered
832 Posts
Not wishing to poke my nose in too much, as I'm not a gtr owner. However, I have joined forces with 2 other guys and turned our "web-based" community into a full blown Owners Club. You may want to check out some of the threads you'll find relating to membership.

BTW, it's now the SXOC, or UK Nissan 200sx Owners Club.

www.200sxoc.com

It's taken us about 3 months to get it all sorted, but we've now sent out members packs consisting of:

A list of suppliers offering discounts to club members, inc Blitz, HKS, Apexi etc
A TRADE account for purchasing Tyres.
A URL web sticker for the car
Tax Disc Holder
and of course, a membership card:D

and we charged the sum of £15 a year for this.

we now have 70+ members, which we've gained over the last 2 months

feel free to mail me if anyone has any questions, it'll be a shame if this site closes because the web hosting isn't renewed:(

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Joss,

I hope this doesn't mean you'll be giving up your involvement completely. The Forum is the best and serves as a great catalyst for other people to organise events and pass on information. It would be a shame if someone else doesn't carry it on - and keep it going the way it is.

As for membership - NO PROBLEMS. As Ian points out, the amount we pay to enjoy these cars, a few quid extra doesn't seem such a big deal.

John

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Oh Joss

What a sad bit of news, re-think it.

I know nothing about how this all works but there are people out there that are computer literate and know how to run this.

TO ALL THE PEOPLE THAT TALK THE TALK ABOUT COMPUTERS AND WIDTH ETC ON THIS FORUM - PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS, TELL EVERYONE WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE SO WE CAN SORT THIS OUT.

EVERYONE SHOULD PAY FOR THIS SITE WHICH WOULD STOP UNWANTED VISITORS AND SORT OUT THE SERIOUS PEOPLE FROM THE TIME WASTERS AND SPACE USERS.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Well said there Dirk, although I do think that it is a big job for one person.

There are at least ten working it bods on this forum......

Si

·
Registered
172 Posts
Don't mind paying

As I think this is a great site - it's worth it for the advice & events alone. Not sure about formally organising a club - I just like the way someone posts an event and it seems to happen.

My 2penneth worth.

Ian W

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am also newish to the site and find info exchange from other members invaluable. I would definitely be willing to pay a membership.
Thanks to Joss for his efforts, great website.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
GTR forum

Joss .

I am truly sorry sorry to hear you are thinking/will be selling our treasured forum . :(

If I knew how to bloody run/use it I would have taken it off your hands in an instant ,and punted Dirk,T6KYO,and John Lowe straight away ! :)

This forum was instrumental in me purchasing and enjoying my Skyline ,as I'm sure many others out there ! Also it did make me re-morgaging the house ,but don't tell the wife ! I have made some very good friends on the forum which is a major bonus and have have a fantastic time at the meets and most of the track days arranged via this forum .

If there is a way of maintaining the status quo ,l et us know and I'm sure we will ALL oblige .

Thanks for having us all on your forum and for your time/efforts you have put in mate .

·
Registered
592 Posts
First like to join the others in thanking Joss for everything hes given for the site to exist.

Tanks :)

Right then Re the future

One or two options that might work:-

Joss continues to own the site and the contents, move the site to Durzels server and with Joss’s approval nominate a few of us to actually update the site, some of us probably have tools to work on the HTML etc so shouldn’t be any cost there. Which just leaves the BBS software which if leased is about £60 PA if Joss owns it would be £20 for continued support, there would I suppose other costs for the move but wouldn’t have thought that would be much, for fund raising we could do donations or something like a fiver/tenner to have your car piccy on the site or sumat?

Plus for Joss he keeps it all and we do the admin for the sheer pleasure of keeping the site. The site doesn’t change its still open to all.

Negative for Joss he doesn’t sell the site, but if we can get it used even more is better for him coz it will be worth more , Another neg is that Durzel is asked to move the site off his server - for a 5 gig (stops the end of month issue) host we are looking at around say £10-15 per month for the cheaper hosting (not sure what package Joss uses here but I believe hosting from a US host would be cheaper)

Another option does depend on how much Joss wants for the site but if a few members clubbed together they could buy the site and then ask us for donations, make the site a club and try and make enough to run the site

The reason I say a few and not a pool of us is it would be a nightmare to administer everyone’s views because they felt they part owned the site – just my view of course although there could be elected admin or something like that

Option three someone with loadsa cash buys the site and does what they want :)

Suppose a lot depends on how much Joss wants shut of the site but I think there would be a fair few of us happy help fund stuff and spend time to keep the site as is or indeed increase its content.

Although being a GTS I’m nervous of how it will turn out :) if it goes too GTR clubby.

bugger must get to bed!

PS like my new Avatar?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts