GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me the thread size for an RB26 intake temp sensor (R32 plenum if that makes any difference) I would measure myself but I'm not at home.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know of a good replacement sensor that fits in the stock location? Most I see seem to be 1/8" BSP.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a working nissan item. Why are you keen to change it?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because the stock Nissan item is too slow for my ECU, I need a faster reacting sensor.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Interesting. How do you know the stock sensor reads too slow?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because that's what several tuners and link have told me. Can't remember the exact names, but basically you need an open type sensor rather than the solid tube style stock one to get fast reactions.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Interesting. How do you know the stock sensor reads too slow?
A friend of mine wired a multimeter to my temp sensor once and put a lighter under the sensor. It showed how slow it was to react to temp changes.
Guessing this is you mean EF Ian?

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
A friend of mine wired a multimeter to my temp sensor once and put a lighter under the sensor. It showed how slow it was to react to temp changes.
Guessing this is you mean EF Ian?
I did an experiment a while ago on air intake temperatures. I put a 0.5mm dia thermocouple in the hose exiting the intercooler and read the temperature. I also logged the nissan sensor. The thermocouple, being very small, could react very quickly to temperature change.

After a drive down the road it soon became apparent that both reading were identical and that the rate of temperature change is in fact not very fast.

It's worth noting that the volume of air passing the sensor, under full throttle/boost etc is large. This will make the sensor change temperature quicker than putting a lighter under it. Also, the temperature entering the engine is only a few degrees above ambient.

I also found out that with a 500hp engine, a HKS super sport intercooler only decreased the intake temperature by 1 degree over a standard intercooler.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I retro fitted a Bosch IAT in the factory location for my ViPec (Link) and it was too shrouded. I ended up fitting one in the pipe just before the plenum, it was a Greddy hard pipe.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did an experiment a while ago on air intake temperatures. I put a 0.5mm dia thermocouple in the hose exiting the intercooler and read the temperature. I also logged the nissan sensor. The thermocouple, being very small, could react very quickly to temperature change.

After a drive down the road it soon became apparent that both reading were identical and that the rate of temperature change is in fact not very fast.
Rate of change can be high on turbo cars, driving down the road steady you wouldn't notice it, but on track or anywhere you are varying revs and boost a lot then the temp change could be quick, things like anti-lag and launch control would make a quick increase in temp.

I retro fitted a Bosch IAT in the factory location for my ViPec (Link) and it was too shrouded. I ended up fitting one in the pipe just before the plenum, it was a Greddy hard pipe.
I think this is what I will do.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
I did track work and I had anti lag. It's was epic with an RB30 and a T51R

1 - 14 of 14 Posts