GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at getting a tomei ti exhaust for my gtr but my tuner has put me off saying that they crack very easily and can burst when the car is cold in the winter and switched on? How reliable have people found these systems?

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Tomei Expreme Ti

Been looking at getting a tomei ti exhaust for my gtr but my tuner has put me off saying that they crack very easily and can burst when the car is cold in the winter and switched on? How reliable have people found these systems?
I had a Tomei Expreme Ti fitted to my R33 GTR earlier this year and it is fundamentally a beautiful system.

There are are couple of potential snags and I am waiting for a response from Tomei.

In the meantime, PM me before buying.

If Tomei do not give me a response then I'll publish my findings on this Forum.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
My car has had an amuse system for like 6-7 years I think. Done something like 30,000km or so. Still beautiful! I don't drive it during the winter but I've moved it a couple of times in -degrees without anything happening.
Sounds strange that they would crack but I'm no metallurgist.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Titanium is a fantastically strong and light material however the heat cycles of a car, cooling and heating create micro fractures within the metal that lead to cracks.

The exhausts on some helicopters are made from Titanium and it's a constant job welding the fractures and fixing the heatshields.

It must be said though, for noise and volume, Titanium exhausts really are a class above.

I will be staying with a Stainless solution myself.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
I had a Ganador racing titan cat back on an R32 GTR. It was a fantastic looking system, would flow high hp and above all sounded fantastic. Very distinctive - amazing! Never had any cracking issues. Wouldn't hesitate in general - although the Ganador was very highly rated, I believe built in the same factory as the mines titanium systems were considered as being the best.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
I wouldn't buy a titanium exhaust system unless it was mandrel bend rather than lobstered.
To me they look cheap and nasty.
If you want to save weight, go side exit.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I agree about the lobster look same thing that puts me off also. I don't recall seeing any that are mandrel bent?

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
I agree about the lobster look same thing that puts me off also. I don't recall seeing any that are mandrel bent?
If you buy the correct grade of Titanium, you can form it. However, the cheap shit you can't. Guess what they make exhausts from?

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Would you buy a mandrel bent one at the price they would ask? I doubt many people would
A mandrel bend exhaust flows better that a lobstered exhaust. Meaning a lobstered titanium exhaust reduces engine performance with everything else being equal.
A wise buy? Not for me.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I would very seriously doubt wether any power gain would be made if you changed my bends to mandrel bent on my car.
It would certainly be stronger/less prone to failure by the removal of unnecessary welding.
Something else to consider cost wise, is the cost of tooling for mandrel bending much higher than fabrication/welding cost for a lobsterback bend?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I had a Tomei Expreme Ti fitted to my R33 GTR earlier this year and it is fundamentally a beautiful system.

There are are couple of potential snags and I am waiting for a response from Tomei.

In the meantime, PM me before buying.

If Tomei do not give me a response then I'll publish my findings on this Forum.
hmmm, want to hear this

1 - 20 of 22 Posts