GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well today i finaly got my 32 gtr running after a full rebuild with steel and forged goodies and big cams big tubs etc ive just started it and she started first pick:) oil preassure is good and she sounds sweet especially with the big cams it sounds mean ..... the only problem ive encountered is that the timing belt seems to be whining a bit it probly too tight im using a hks belt and pulleys ..... is it possible to re adjust the belt tension with out having to strip the front down again id like avoid taking off the crank pulley if possible has any one done this??

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
You can adjust it with one of the tensioner pulleys, if i remember correctly it is the one on the left as you look down at it, it is eccentric so loosen it off and then spin it round a touch.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
You either have to strip the front pulley to get the lower cover off or you can cut a `door` into the lower cover to access the tensioner.

Sure its the cambelt? Rarely whine, much more likely to be one of the other belts.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was thinkin maybe with the belts off and water pump pulley off i could loosen the cover just enough to get a spanner on the tensioner and slacken it off i just know takin that front pulley off in place is goin to break my heart what methods do people use to lock the crank in order to open the crank pulley bolt

·
Registered
442 Posts
I used a rope around the crank pulley and alternator pulley, as found somewhere on the internet (I can find the link if need be). It worked a treat, even when cranking back up to 350 lbs/ft!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers never thought of doing it that way il give it a go it would want to be fairly strong rope for a gtr pulley bolt mine was dificult to open even with the engine out on a stand

·
Registered
442 Posts
I used a 10mm2 towing rope, doubled over.
Just make sure you have the rope arranged so that the harder you pull the tighter it gets, strangulation stylee (for anyone who's ever done carp fishing!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts