GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello folks
what is the feeling out there regarding Tiptronic transmission on a ER34......Forget it OR no prob go for it....appreciate all feedback as i am about to purchase and the price seems a bit cheap....

ciao
popeye:lamer:

·
Registered
870 Posts
Tiptronics generaly sell for uo to £2K cheaper than a manual GTT. My wife has one and it is quite a good gearbox. You have the choice of full auto if you are feeling lazy, or tiptronic on the gearstick by slapping it forwards, or backwards to change gear. You also have the buttons on the steering wheel.

It take a little while to get used to getting the best out of it and apart from the 1st to 2nd gearchange which is a bit slow, the rest of the gears have a snappy change. Full throttle gearchanges produce a nice bang out of the exhaust too:chuckle:

We would have prefered another manual GTT, but at £8,500 for a 16,000 mile GTT we couldn't resist it:)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tiptronic

thanks bubble for your reply....a few important Q's
........will i get the same performance as a manual?....what is the real disadvantage of a semi-auto, if any?.....is it a macho thing or is it like or almost the same as a fully automatic which for most people in a skyline is a no no,
likewise im finding it hars to refuse a 1998 GTT semi auto for 8000stg....i mean it cant be that bad ....or is it?

appreciate the reply

popeye:thumbsup:

·
Registered
870 Posts
Will you get the same performance as a manual? .......Yes and no

Off the line, the tiptronic is slightly slower if you are really going for it, but in normal driving, it is easier to consistently get away quicker and once you are moving, the gearchanges are quick.

What is the real dissadvantage of a semi-auto, if any?.........People say "Oh - it's an auto"......:rolleyes: Too many people knock autos untill they have driven a powerfull one.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tiptronic

thanks bubble for the info......im going to go for it..........there seems to be no real disadvantage in having a tiptronic except from the fact as you say enthuasists will say "its an auto"....correct?
can you advise what minor mods to add to the car to make her more powerfull...i know your partner has an semi auto so im sure you have tricked out her car to make her feel like hers is as good as yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers M8

popeye:thumbsup:

·
Banned
146 Posts
its not a manual based semi auto as in BMW's SMG or Ferrari semi auto as in the F430. Its a conventnal auto box with electronic actuation still uses a torque convertor, ruber drive bands. If you want performance go for a manual.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Honeys GTT has just stage one mods:

Decat pipe
Front pipe
Cat back RSP exhaust
Apexi induction kit
Colder plugs

It will neve be 500bhp like mine though, much to her dissapointment:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts