GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i got the downpipe made I didn't realize that the flange on my exhaust is actually 3.5" and my downpipe is 4". Completely my fault :(

I have a 3.5" flange on the way which is a copy of the one on the exhaust but would really like it to be 4" all the way through instead of having a restriction there.

Can anyone get hold of any 4" titanium vband flanges? Or can anyone think of a way we can get them bolted together. It doesn't have to be v-band although its preferable. Could be 2/4 bolt or any other way you can think of!

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speak to Whifbitz mate Paul may be able to help you.
Spoke to him, cheers!

Got a price for a V-band, you need to buy them in pairs and they are £139!!!! Anyone else need just one? lol.

Another option is a slip on joint but im not sure if there any good or not and whether they leak??

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Should be alright with slip on joints, so long as the pipe diameter tapers up/down to create a seal.
You'll need springs/bolts/brackets to keep the joints together.

My exhaust is like this, it does however make it a pain (impossible) to just remove one section of the exhaust if needed.

I'll be re-doing mine all with v-band in the near future.

Slip on would be fine for plumbing the wastegate back in though...

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pipes are both 4". Do you mean the slip on has to taper?

So you mean once its fitted, you cant get the exhaust off without taking the downpipe off?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The pipes are both 4". Do you mean the slip on has to taper?

So you mean once its fitted, you cant get the exhaust off without taking the downpipe off?
Well one pipe needs to be the same internal diameter as the external diameter of the other, so they can slip together. But then the larger of the two would taper back down to 4" in your case, after about 3" or so.
This will stop the pipes from slipping in together too far, and also create a seal.

Yes, if you wanted to just get the downpipe off, it means taking the whole damn lot off.!!

It stick with the v-band of bolted flange. It might seem expensive now, but you'll be glad whenever you need to do work on it.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I know £139 sounds expensive but have you tried to buy titainium? It's mega money!!! Just saying!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know £139 sounds expensive but have you tried to buy titainium? It's mega money!!! Just saying!
Yeah, I did have a look around. I think even the filler rod is mental money!

I just ordered some from Paul. It will be worth it in the end!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts