GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wondered if any of the Skyline Range R32 / R33 / R34 are equiped with these type of turbos, or if its just some of the aftermarket ones which are of this type.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
All GTR turbos come with ceramic compressors wheels. The N1 based cars had slightly bigger A/R and metal compressor wheel. Very general way of explaining the turbo differences...but I hope this helps.

:)

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
AFAIK, no Nissan production GT-Rs have the titanium turbo blades fitted on the turbos. In terms of Japanese production cars, the only ones that I know of that have these type of turbo blades at the moment are the Lancer Evo VI and VIIs.

Cya O!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Yeah I remember reading about the EVO VI have titanium turbo wheel blade too..........maybe that is why they have so much low end power :eek: :confused:

Jeff

3,666 Posts
Titanium turbine wheels

We have done a quite a few up grade on standard R32/R33 and R34 turbo,s using titanium exhaust[turbine ] wheels the results we got was that they spin up as fast as standard turbo,s i.e ceramic turbine wheels. You can run up to 1.3 bar boost as quoted by Guy on the previous thread about turbo,s. Good for approx 460/480 bhp depending on your other engine mods.

Abbey Motorsport.

www.dynapack.com

·
Premium Member
3,893 Posts
Only the RS versions of evos are fitted with titanium turbos as standard. The reduced inertia does indeed make them spool quicker.

The reason that the evo has great low end power compared to a Skyline is it's longer stroke (85x88mm compared to 86x73.7mm).
Also has greater standard boost - approx. 1 bar vs. 0.6 bar.

For a GT car the RB26 with it's capacity for revs (short stroke) is superb.

For a rally car the 4G63 with it's fat torque curve is also superb.

People keep trying to make the mistake of comparing the two.
A 4g63 will never match the power tuning capability of an RB26 but on the street/strip it can still give it a run for it's money.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
lightspeed....the GSR versions of the Tommi Makined Edition Evo 6 had the RS titanium turbine wheels. Also in Europe when you purchase an Evo 7 RSII you can specify which turbine you want.

Standard boost on a GTR is 0.93(BNR34) and the Evo I believe 1.2.

·
Premium Member
3,893 Posts
Yep, TM GSR has titanium turbine TD05HRA-15GK2 but with the smaller compressor wheel - RS has 16G6.

Standard evo boost is 1.1bar mid-range dropping to 0.9bar top end.

I'd be very surprised if R34 holds 0.93bar at maximum power revs. That would give in the region of 370hp.

I really don't believe the 280 PS claim for the skyline - all the figures point to around 315-320 PS as standard.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Boost

Lightspeed,

The R34 will hold 0.93bar all the way to 8000rpm as standard.

The reason is doesn't make your expected 370/380bhp is the cams. The stock cams are quite conservative and produce peak power at about 6500rpm, hence why the 'stock' power is about 320bhp.

A change of cams to a more suitable (aggressive) profile, would produce a much higher power figure, even at the stock boost of 0.93bar.

Guy

·
Premium Member
3,893 Posts
That is seriously inefficient!!!
I am gobsmacked.
No wonder they're so reliable in standard tune!

I thought Nissan always quoted peak power at 6800 rpm.

Is that 0.93 on the multi function display???

Is it at the turbo outlet or at the inlet manifold?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My fully stock BNR34 regularly runs at .95-.99 bars, it went up to 1.07 bars at a cold foggy morning :eek:

Yes we read our boost level on the multi function display.

And yes the higher I rev the motor, the higher the boost goes, so I would assume the motor hold high boost at high rev. I never look at the MFD when I am revving the motor high, as I am too busy shifting.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Dino.......yes we actually do, it gets cold and foggy here in the morning and at night, man the boost response is a lot better in that condition, I have seen intake temp. as low as 13 degrees :D Then in the afternoon, the summer weather comes back, Southern California weather is amazing :D

But you would never find out if you never come over here :rolleyes: ;) :p

Jeff :cool:

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
lightspeed... AFAIK, boost is measured at inlet plenum. As for the standard turbos, they are fairly capable. I was running stock cams, stock cam gears and stock turbos on my R34 and with 1.2 kg/cm2 of boost (and supporting bolt on mods) was able to get 502ps to the engine. Goes to show that the flow of the standard turbos at 0.93 kg/cm2 to redline should be no problem.

Cya O!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts