GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Only you can really decide if you are happy with the deal and circumstances. You havent given details on the car but £45k for a 2014 doesnt sound like a bargain.

Coronavirus is having an impact no one could expect. No one actually needs a GTR or anything more than a basic car. So all the people losing work could start trying to free up funds selling cars. I have already seen on other forums that we buy any car have in the last week reduced their quotes by 30%. So they appear to be expecting a saturated market.

I expect in stronger market times the dealer would just refund your deposit, show a great service, and hope to welcome you back in the future. But now they might be thinking if we dont shift this car now. Its going to sit for months or lose them a load of money.

The main dealers will be impacted hugely. Would not be surprised to see big discounts and 0% cars soon in a hope to even keep sales moving and people in work. That is if they are even allowed to keep the the factories open. I see Tesla have been forced to close factories.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for all the opinions much appreciated, think I’m going to play it by ear over the nxt couple of weeks and see what happens.
Gut feeling is that I’ll prob take the plunge and what happens happens I suppose but at the moment 2 weeks is enough for a lot to change !

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I have a similar problem £3000 down on a £58000 car. My savings has taken a big hit. As someone said, bad timing.

I will most probably also take the plunge. No idea where I will find the money yet?

Fingers crossed it will all bounce back and it is just a 3 month glitch. Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Think after tonight’s news I’m definitely going to take the hit on the deposit and put it down to bad luck and timings.
Can really justify buying it in this current climate and uncertainty.
Who knows how long this will go on for and may need to redirect funds to where and when needed.
I will definitely still be buying one as I am dead set on it but just when the time is right hopefully in a few months. Hope you make the right decision for you too buddy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Technically they are not even allowed to be open so i wonder that puts you legally.

I am in the market for a GTR. Hence why on this site. Love them. But wont be buying now for the foreseeable future i dont think. Way too much uncertainty.

Just hope this doesnt go on for too long.

·
R35 Section manager
10,788 Posts
Think after tonight’s news I’m definitely going to take the hit on the deposit and put it down to bad luck and timings.
Can really justify buying it in this current climate and uncertainty.
Who knows how long this will go on for and may need to redirect funds to where and when needed.
I will definitely still be buying one as I am dead set on it but just when the time is right hopefully in a few months. Hope you make the right decision for you too buddy.
I still find it hard to believe that the credit card company cannot recover the money if the purchase is made within 30 days. Contract or not the law protects people in case of fault or a change of heart. I would continue to look at this.

·
Super Moderator
15,593 Posts
Is your income very insecure? Otherwise why stop the purchase? What you could do is ask the trader to hold it for you longer than normal, that's not too much to ask in the circumstances. Are you really going to get an equivalent car £1500 cheaper at the end I guess is the question. Hard to know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I still find it hard to believe that the credit card company cannot recover the money if the purchase is made within 30 days. Contract or not the law protects people in case of fault or a change of heart. I would continue to look at this.
I spoke to the card company and they said legally if I’ve signed someone and there’s nothing fundamentally wrong with the vehicle that it is binding. Unfortunately it does not cover a change of heart legally wise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Is your income very insecure? Otherwise why stop the purchase? What you could do is ask the trader to hold it for you longer than normal, that's not too much to ask in the circumstances. Are you really going to get an equivalent car £1500 cheaper at the end I guess is the question. Hard to know.
Fortunately income wise I’m ok and have no mortgage (joys of getting old !)
I am just apprehensive about spending all that money in the current climate and yes fortunately I spoke to the trader and he will hold it till things get better. I’m sure it has also something to do with that he’s highly unlikely to sell it at the moment too.
That is the great unknown as well but time will tell on that too.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Exactly, people looking for a good car will pay the money (even a premium where they want one in the best condition, 1 owner, low mileage). I think the average cars will take a hit as typically harder to shift, but the good ones will be OK. They all depreciate though.....

·
Registered
991 Posts
I got my deposit back last year. Took a bit of pushing but once i quoted the distance selling regs (i never set foot inside the showroom, new car order.) I got my deposit refunded. If you signed the docks in the showroom you are stuffed. If you did it over the phone you should get it back. Not easy though.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Again, £45K for a 2014 car isn't a bargain unless very low mileage and pampered.
Uncertain times.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Further on this, I have spoken to a financial adviser and he said it;s worrying times and even if you have to lose the deposit, pull out of the deal. Seems like you are able to delay. I am going to also as long as possible, if they push for completion before I am ready, I will pull out and lose the deposit.

Very bad timing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Further on this, I have spoken to a financial adviser and he said it;s worrying times and even if you have to lose the deposit, pull out of the deal. Seems like you are able to delay. I am going to also as long as possible, if they push for completion before I am ready, I will pull out and lose the deposit.

Very bad timing.
Yes I had more or less resigned myself to loosing the deposit unfortunately and as you said rather bad timing !
If I’d of left it another few days I wouldn’t of put a deposit down but who could of foreseen the seriousness of this.
I can wait and see what happens with my deposit still safe but I think the fall out from this will be rather longer lasting than most people first expected so I can’t see me proceeding with the purchase as things stand.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I agree, two weeks ago I was thinking all will be ok and back to normal in 5 weeks, so in 3 weeks time. It now looks like months if we are lucky.

I will still buy my car if there is light at the end of the tunnel.

They will have trouble finding a buyer anyhow.

Many people will be in trouble financially in the next few months.

Good luck to all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lee, sorry to hear the dealer can't work something out for you, bit surprised really, as if you do pull out, not likely you'll be using them again I'm guessing.

I'm in a similar situation (maybe one step further) in that I purchased a CBA MY10 around a month ago.

So this is just my opinion

In a world getting more and more uncertain by the day, more electric cars appearing by the day, huge tax and running costs on cars like the GTR, we really don't know what's round the corner.

I've worked hard over the years paying off finance for cars I have previously bought, traded up and started the process again to progressively go up the car chain (all about power and driveability don't care about status or the badge!)

Finally I've got to the point where I own a GTR albeit a 10 year old car. I still have a mortgage and still have debt.

But since all the pandemic has started, I have not once doubted my purchase. Every time I get in it I have a huge smile on my face and its keeping me sane in a world that's going mad! I love everything about it and it's the best decision I've made (my wife would strongly disagree) 😂

Any fears I had (mainly about the transmission) also dissappeared when I found out the car had a brand new transmission fitted under nissan warranty in 2015!

In a crazy world not knowing what is round the corner I can say that am living (my own) obsessive petrol head dream and own and drive my own fairground ride. I feel like a juvenile delinquent everytime I grab the keys.

Obviously you have to think about the financial implications but once you go for it, I doubt you'll look back.

Best of luck whatever you decide! 👍

MGS

·
R35 Section manager
10,788 Posts
Lee, sorry to hear the dealer can't work something out for you, bit surprised really, as if you do pull out, not likely you'll be using them again I'm guessing.

I'm in a similar situation (maybe one step further) in that I purchased a CBA MY10 around a month ago.

So this is just my opinion

In a world getting more and more uncertain by the day, more electric cars appearing by the day, huge tax and running costs on cars like the GTR, we really don't know what's round the corner.

I've worked hard over the years paying off finance for cars I have previously bought, traded up and started the process again to progressively go up the car chain (all about power and driveability don't care about status or the badge!)

Finally I've got to the point where I own a GTR albeit a 10 year old car. I still have a mortgage and still have debt.

But since all the pandemic has started, I have not once doubted my purchase. Every time I get in it I have a huge smile on my face and its keeping me sane in a world that's going mad! I love everything about it and it's the best decision I've made (my wife would strongly disagree) 😂

Any fears I had (mainly about the transmission) also dissappeared when I found out the car had a brand new transmission fitted under nissan warranty in 2015!

In a crazy world not knowing what is round the corner I can say that am living (my own) obsessive petrol head dream and own and drive my own fairground ride. I feel like a juvenile delinquent everytime I grab the keys.

Obviously you have to think about the financial implications but once you go for it, I doubt you'll look back.

Best of luck whatever you decide! 👍

MGS

This says it all really. Life is short, get the car and enjoy it.
The roads are empty so perfect for you to enjoy it en route for shopping

·
Registered
330 Posts
Personally I’d hold out till a month or two after lockdown finishes, you’ll save a lot more than you lost in your deposit

21 - 40 of 45 Posts